• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Curvins SCT410.3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tekno-bash-spec-800.jpg

It was time for the Tekno to shed its lipstick and shelf queen shell , and dress in its bashing armour instead. Cleaned up recycled JConcepts HiFlow practice/bash body, JConcepts Chopper tyres on Serpent rims, T-Bone Racing front and rear bash bumpers reinstalled.

I have 3 bodies for the SCT410.3 now, all have their challenges due to the 335mm wheelbase. This Jconcepts HiFlow fits OK, wheels are not centered in the arches no matetr how I position it, but I have reached a good enough compromise where it works well enough for practice/bashing and the initial shakedowns.

The initial shakedown was on a flat , prepped grass sports field ( cricket /soccer ) , so had plenty of room to get the acceleration, speed runs and a feel for the basic handling , a few embankments for some mild jumping.

On 2S, acceleration and punch was O.K, but not what I was expecting, top end was lacking compared to the Hunter BL running a 3970KV / 3S , so I was left wanting more

From reading in on posts from Jerry-Rigged who runs the same 4600KV / MMX setup, I was expecting to see something more similar to the Hunter on 3S.

I'll have a go at recalibrating the Radio just in case I haven't got the throttle dialed in correctly.

Truck has a 15 Tooth pinion , not sure how far I can go up with the 4600KV ?

Last edited:
It looks so good, the svt body. just seeing this, i have the same issue (width). wish i saw it earlier and could have warned you.
thanks for sharing! great looking truck even with the other body!

Thanks Rich D ,

The issue with the bodies has definitely thrown a few curves, there isn't any body apart from the TLR TEN SCTE listed as accommodating the 335 mm wheelbase, all the rest are a crapshoot with the 320-325 wheelbase. The width of the SVT body just through in an additional curve that I am not happy about , but at least others will now be forewarned. Not sure what PL was thinking making it 6-12 mm-thinner than their other FloTek bodies ?

pinions-800.jpg

I am still sorting my way around getting a suitable setup fro bashing, with the 15T/44T gearing that was on the truck when purchased. On 2S it was not overly impressive, actually quite disappointing. I purchased a 17T - go to for racing I am told giving the best balance of acceleration and top speed , and a 20T , for bashing. 15T,17T, 20T pictured side by side.

I had a few of the racers on FB telling me that running 20T was a fools errand on a 4600KV Tekin engine, and that I would thermal it in very quick order, even to the point where one poster jokingly said it will be good , at least one run ?

Well rumors of an immediate death were greatly exaggerated !

pinion-20t-800.jpg

20T installed .

Temps were well within range after heavy bash session, around 70-75 Celsius ( 158-167F ) , top end speed was now within a hair of the Hunter on 3S.

I did notice a turbo lag like behavior on initial punch, which from my research with the Castle Mamba Monster X ESC is indicating the battery may not be delivering the required discharge. I was using a Nano Tech 2S 6600MAH / 65-130C , which on spec should be well within required range. I have a GenAce ROAR approved 2S 5800 MAH/ 45C that I will test as well to see if the behavior persists.

I am not 100% convinced this the best way to go, and the Tekno as a basher has some other caveats, especially around shock setup which has me scratching my head , as the springs are just way too soft, not even able to handle the weight of the car without losing at least 50% of the travel ?

I have already rebuilt/re-oiled with some heavier weight TLR 50F/40R. I will be needing to reassess the spring combos as well. Looking at maybe orange front/rear , but I understand most reading in here are focused on racing.

Last edited:
I use a Shimano (not generic) bicycle chain breaker for 7/8/9 speed. Works great, put it vice, push pin out partially, then line up new pin. push on it to push out old pin. wam, I'm done, I've also done it on the coach holding everything. I don't race and wouldn't ever need to do it quickly between heats.

Quick one to blow the cobwebs off this thread.

I should retitle this thread SCT410.3 4S Basher Project :cool:

Truck has been through quite a few changes since the last post. With 4WD SCT racing pretty much a dead class locally , there was no reason to keep the truck shackled to the ROAR 2S requirement, so set up is now running 4S/2200V 1/8th electrics , modified shock pistons, springs, ( Gaffa) belted tyres, etc.

I'll pop up a more detailed post with some snapshots shortly.

Last edited:
O.K,

Some details on the 4S conversion, first up was sourcing a suitable 2200KV Motor.

3650vs4275-800.jpg

I settled on a SH Traxxas rebranded 2200KV Castle SL motor for the initial test install , which has proven to work well enough for me to keep it. Difference in the size of the motors were quite substantial as can been seen.

First curve was to replace the original LCG engine mount that was standard on the SCT410.3 as it would not allow the installation of a 42mm can motor. The motor mount insert of the EB48 was required , part number below.

EB48.4 - TKR5211 Motor Mount Insert - Required for 40/42mm can motors :

The only other parts required were the longer battery straps to suit 4S :

BR48.4 - TKR40007K - Battery Strap Set .

tekno-hsf-refurb-800.jpg

Installed a modified HSF array to keep the temps down, also changed the battery connections to XT90 after a minor disaster of melting the original Deans, which I quickly discovered were not suitable for 4S. Pinion is 17T

Other modifications were to settle the suspension to manage the traction rolling. I installed some Tekno 3 hole pistons and a a stiffer spring combo which improved it enough for me to get some decent runs out of it.

Truck on 4S is brutally fast , an absolute hoot , but a handful with tyre ballooning causing some issues. I have belted the Choppers for now, but truck is actually not running after a ( stupid ) session on damp grass/dirt which filled both trucks with so much crap that I damaged the spur on the Hunter and ended up seizing bearings on both. Both trucks now completely stripped back to bare chassis and in the process of rebuilds. :-(

Lesson learned never to run the trucks in those conditions again.

Anyhoo, the Teko will be live again for Spring/Summer , looking forward to giving it some good runs on 4S again.

BTW- I have 6 bodies for it now, as well a stack of spare tyres/rims, I am actually looking for a second unit :)

Last edited:
Second SCT410 slider secured !

This ones a SCT410.1 , looks to be in reasonable nick from initial photos from seller, will need some electronics and a good once over.

I'll be running this one on 3S, aiming at a 3500-3800KV combo , 17T, should place it on a level footing with the other trucks.

Have been reading in on some opinions that the 410.0 were actually tougher for general bashing.

I'll pop up some snaps when I get it on the bench.

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back