• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Bearing Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB410
  2. ET48
  3. ET410
  4. MT410
  5. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
What is everyone using to Oil the bearings? Is anyone using WD 40 on them? Years ago I would clean the car, wd40 the areas, and then add some 3-in-1 machine oil to the bearings. Is that recommended these days?

This is like asking asking which religion is best, ha!

You're gonna get a lot of different opinions and at the end of the day, I recommend trying each method until you find one that works best for you.

I have settled on the following method after experimenting with many options over the years:

1) For Stock Classes with Revolution style ceramic bearings, I will flush the bearings every single race day with WD-40 Dry Lube, then spray with compressed air and oil with Trinity Perpetual Motion:
https://www.teamtrinity.com/trinity-perpetual-motion-ultra-lite-ball-bearing-oil-tep5010.html

2) For Mod Classes I typically clean my bearings after 3-6 race days. I will pry the rubber seals and inspect the grease for any discolor, if the grease is still white then I go another 3 race days before the next inspection. When grease has turned black I flush with WD-40 Dry Lube and spray with compressed air. I will re-pack with a thin coat of Thornhill White Grease:
https://www.teamthornhillrc.com/White-Grease-with-Precise-Applicator_p_60.html

Most brands of tinted grease (that I've tested) will last about 3 race days, but Thornhill grease will often last 6 to 9 race days in some cases depending on if they run the track wet or dry.

Last edited:
To add variety, for as often as I need to maintenance or replace bearings which is not often they're disposable to me. When you can buy a roll of 10 bearing (no frills rubber sealed) for 10-12 bucks it's not worth my time to clean and relube.

@Bill DeLong & @Nicochau you guys actually take the seals out of the bearings, grease and put back? I guess I have been away from RC for too long, I have never heard of that. Is there a youtube video of that? @nub I see your point bearings are cheap. I think I would maintain some but never thought that was a good option. I thought oil them till they die and throw them out. I think I might give it a try to grease them.

@Nicochau how do you apply the grease? Do you have a syringe-like applicator like Team Thorn HIll has?

@Bill DeLong & @Nicochau you guys actually take the seals out of the bearings, grease and put back? I guess I have been away from RC for too long, I have never heard of that. Is there a youtube video of that?

TheJANG is popping the seals from the outside in the video above, but I find it works better for me to pry from the inner edge of the bearing, less likely to warp/bend the seals... I also keep the seals from old damaged bearings as spares in case I accidentally tear the rubber seal on a bearing.

Last edited:
@Bill DeLong & @Nicochau you guys actually take the seals out of the bearings, grease and put back? I guess I have been away from RC for too long, I have never heard of that. Is there a youtube video of that? @nub I see your point bearings are cheap. I think I would maintain some but never thought that was a good option. I thought oil them till they die and throw them out. I think I might give it a try to grease them.

@Nicochau how do you apply the grease? Do you have a syringe-like applicator like Team Thorn HIll has?
I’m getting so much life time from those bearings that I don’t mind that much the cleaning. That’s mainly for the hubs that I change most frequently.

The diff / pinion bearings, I will usually just put new ones.

Got lifetime worth of grease here:
7BCF15E3-A043-4BC2-9C05-D2FF41B9E3AA.jpeg

Yeah, I also use Green Grease brand for all the rubber seals on my diffs and shocks, I used to use Green Grease for bearings, but have since switched to Thornhill Grease for the bearings and diff pinions, back when I only used Green Grease a 3oz tube would last about 5 years, more info here on how I would re-fil the grease into a syringe:

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-sct410-3.1389/post-11784

49467152226_9e2d3703cb_c.jpg

Yes, what you choose to lube your bearings with will depend on the conditions that you run your RC in. Not to mention, what type of seals the bearings have will influence you in your lubing adventures.

I run (track bash) my RCs on backyard track that is at the mercy of Mother Nature for water. 95% of the time dirt will be thrown onto the bearings that are out in the open. I clean and relube my double rubber shielded bearings with Maxima grease, because if I don't... my past yearly bearing costs would range from $144 ~ $200. I've had no luck with using oil for long term durability in dusty conditions. Now, in a racing stock/spec class, I would dabble in voodoo oil magic rituals.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to grease bearings, but when doing maintenance I'll usually swap in new, or pre cleaned/relubed bearings and work on dirty bearings at my leisure.
IMG_20210205_070601049 1.jpg

This is some interesting and valuable information. (Dare I say I feel like I struck the oil of information)... It all makes sense, and the product suggestions are awesome. Thanks very much.

Recent Popular Liked

Back