• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

What's your favorite outdoor clay track tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George G.

Reaction score
I'm returning to RC racing with my new Et48 2.0 this weekend at a track that is re-opening and is new to me. It's a large 1/8 scale outdoor clay track and would like to know your tire recommendations. I have a new set of Proline Buckshots but the AKA tires like the City Block and Gridirons look good too. Any suggestions?

A lot is going to depend on what the surface condition is. Loose and loamy, hard packed and smooth, hard packed and abrasive, dust, no dust, loamy corners, wetted, etc. The Buckshots are a good middle of the road choice and you have them so see how it goes. See what kind of line develops on the track and ask what others there are using and how they feel about them.

From the videos of the track getting set up that I've seen, I'm thinking it's going to be more on the loose and loamy side. I wanted to go in with an alternate set of tires so that I can make some comparisons.

Also, what is the AKA equivalent of the middle of the road tire? Which AKA is better for looser conditions?

If it's going to be loose you'll want a bigger pin or more of a lug. Are you using actual truggy tires? I don't have a truggy personally but I think the choices are bit limited compared to buggy.

The Gridiron are going to be pretty similar to your Buck shots. If I thought it was going to be loose and looking to AKA I would probably pick the I-Beam for a second option. It looks like a lot of these truggy tires are geared more to hard packed surfaces with a light dusting. A line might develop as the day goes on that's swept and the smaller pin becomes the better choice. It's always good to have options.

Yes, I'm using truggy tires. I'm not really too loyal to any particular brand, but I like that the aka tires have premounted options with different color wheels. I'm open to other brands if they get me around the track faster!

Recent Popular Liked

Back