• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Tires for ET410.2 ?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc_fan

Reaction score
Hi!
I'll get my ET410.2 soon :D

Now the tire question arises.
For some bashing I will probably use Badlands SC 2.2 or LOUISE SC-ROCK.

But what should I take when I'm on the racetrack? So far I've been driving a buggy and I'm not sure what is best for the ET410.2.

Mainly I drive clay.

I race at an outdoor hard pack dirt, there is some clay mixture in the soil and when they wet the track, the traction will sometimes get up a medium grip. I absolutely love AKA Chainlinks on the front with AKA Crosslinks on the rear, my mini truggy is dialed with this combo :)

Don't waste your time running SCT wheels, been there done that, ST wheels have been faster on every track condition I've ran from high grip to low grip.

Hey Bill how do you feel about closed cell vs open cell inserts for outdoors? I run on a hard packed usually dusty outdoor track with low traction.

Hey Bill how do you feel about closed cell vs open cell inserts for outdoors? I run on a hard packed usually dusty outdoor track with low traction.

I have found that open cell is better for turf/carpet racing and will not require you to vent your tires in those conditions. While I haven't raced on rough blown out conditions, I have heard that open cell is better suited for that type of track as well.

I mostly race on hard pack smooth low traction lately where they water the track at the beginning of each round, if you're early in the heat when the track is nice and wet, then traction is close to medium grip, but if you're race #4 or later, then traction significantly drops off to where it's like driving on ice by race #8, ha! In the winter months, the moisture will stay in the track to where sometimes they only have to water once per race day and traction will rival that of some indoor tracks I've raced at :)

Anyway, closed cell foams have produced the best lap times/consistency for me on hard pack dirt, I have also found it better to recycle my foams so that the older/softer foams are put up front and newer/firmer foams are ran on the rear. I only use AKA red foams, by far the most consistent foam of any brand I have tested between ProLine, JConcepts, Panther and RawSpeed for the ST class.

I have found that open cell is better for turf/carpet racing and will not require you to vent your tires in those conditions. While I haven't raced on rough blown out conditions, I have heard that open cell is better suited for that type of track as well.

I mostly race on hard pack smooth low traction lately where they water the track at the beginning of each round, if you're early in the heat when the track is nice and wet, then traction is close to medium grip, but if you're race #4 or later, then traction significantly drops off to where it's like driving on ice by race #8, ha! In the winter months, the moisture will stay in the track to where sometimes they only have to water once per race day and traction will rival that of some indoor tracks I've raced at :)

Anyway, closed cell foams have produced the best lap times/consistency for me on hard pack dirt, I have also found it better to recycle my foams so that the older/softer foams are put up front and newer/firmer foams are ran on the rear. I only use AKA red foams, by far the most consistent foam of any brand I have tested between ProLine, JConcepts, Panther and RawSpeed for the ST class.
Thanks for the detailed response...I’m very new to all of this and really appreciate it. I’ve got Proline Holeshot 2.0’s with open cell inserts and also just picked up another pair with closed cell proline inserts, so those will be interesting to compare.

Do you run AKA tires as well? I checked out AKA’s website and couldn't find any outdoor tires for stadium trucks...just chain links and cross links.

Yes, I run at Thornhill Racing Circuit which is a covered outdoor track with hard pack dirt. For big events they run it dry and will usually groove up to a very high bite surface that often wears your tires out by the end of the race day. Most top tier drivers will run a brand new set of tires for the mains.

Here are all the tires I have tested at Thornhill with running the same tire on front and rear and compared my lap times during a single session and quickly swapped my wheels to make sure I wasn't having an bias with moisture change, I ordered the fastest tire on the left to the slowest tire on the right:

50019491092_708490781e_b.jpg

At this point, all I was ever told was to always run the same tire tread pattern on the front/rear, but a few months ago I attended an AKA Race Clinic that was hosted by Gil Losi Jr and Tyler Hooks and they discussed some key advantages of running a different tread pattern up front. It was a 45 min session so I can't possibly explain everything I learned without writing a full chapter on the topic, but I already gave an abridged summary above of what is working well for me right now :)

I tried many different combinations and put a fair amount of work into figuring out a system that my setup is responding well for our current track, where I am running soft compound in the summer and super soft compound in the winter with Simple Green sprayed on the tires between each round.

I no longer run the ET410 and have switched over to the PR Racing 401R-T a little over a year ago, but I would expect similar results regardless of the chassis:

49894076943_4747eba6a8_b.jpg

87800181_10218117270217909_3317156882270912512_n.jpg

I'm definitely not the fastest driver in my area, but every now and then I have a pretty good race day, on occasion, I'll also hit a 99% consistent run with this tire combo too:

https://trc.liverc.com/results/?p=view_race_result&id=2529522

99_Run.JPG

Here's another pic of the track to get a idea of what the dirt looks like with light fluff outside the groove as it dries up:

49570187281_8987ded04f_b.jpg

*** there are quite a few PL drivers in my area and Hole Shots are a "safe" tire to run if you can't stay in the groove, but the bar style tires are faster regardless of the brand of tire you prefer to run in our area, the fastest tire in buggy is the Scribble, can't wait for them to offer the Scribble in ST ;)

Last edited:
Whoa you must have a lot of track time to hit 99% consistency. My track is more sand and less clay. There really is no “groove” as we’re just getting racing started. I’m not sure if you can tell much from this, but ere’s a clip from the other day trying to get used to the new truck:

I’m thinking the clay tires wouldn’t work on this sandy stuff, but I could be wrong.

I would consider that a "loose/loamy" condition, it's going to be hard to make the perfect recommendation, but if I were to come and race at your club, then I would bring a set of Step Pins for the rear and Wookie's for the front:

http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=114

http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=119

I would also play around with foam inserts, because it's so loamy, the open cell foams may be perfect, but I might experiment with AKA Red foams on the rear only because the track looks smooth enough to where the extra support may improve consistency, but since the track is small and tight, I don't think you will be able to generate enough corner speed to make much of a difference on what foam you are running.

I would consider that a "loose/loamy" condition, it's going to be hard to make the perfect recommendation, but if I were to come and race at your club, then I would bring a set of Step Pins for the rear and Wookie's for the front:

http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=114

http://www.panthertires.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=119

I would also play around with foam inserts, because it's so loamy, the open cell foams may be perfect, but I might experiment with AKA Red foams on the rear only because the track looks smooth enough to where the extra support may improve consistency, but since the track is small and tight, I don't think you will be able to generate enough corner speed to make much of a difference on what foam you are running.
Thanks Bill...our first local race is this weekend. Unfortunately the ESC on my ET410 just died somehow. Luckily my EB48 and SCT 410 are in good shape. I’ll report back with how with open vs closed cell inserts perform.

Took some video of open vs closed cell Proline Holeshot 2.0’s:

It seems like better acceleration with open cell but better handling in corners with closed cell.

Video is long, but closed cell starts at 6:45.

Last edited:
I race at an outdoor hard pack dirt, there is some clay mixture in the soil and when they wet the track, the traction will sometimes get up a medium grip. I absolutely love AKA Chainlinks on the front with AKA Crosslinks on the rear, my mini truggy is dialed with this combo :)

Don't waste your time running SCT wheels, been there done that, ST wheels have been faster on every track condition I've ran from high grip to low grip.
Sorry to bring another old post to life, but I got an et410.2 on the way now. Sounds like my track conditions are similar to yours (btw, I've used your setup sheet for my sct410.3 and started setting track records :DD...so really I owe this to you haha!)

Anyways, are you still using these tires and if so, do you happen to have a part number for them? Amain has some chainlinks but I'm not sure which ones are for ST wheels

Sorry to bring another old post to life, but I got an et410.2 on the way now. Sounds like my track conditions are similar to yours (btw, I've used your setup sheet for my sct410.3 and started setting track records :DD...so really I owe this to you haha!)

Anyways, are you still using these tires and if so, do you happen to have a part number for them? Amain has some chainlinks but I'm not sure which ones are for ST wheels

glad to hear my setup is working for you and thanks :)

I don't race Mini Truggy anymore, but yes, Chainlinks on the front are money in SSLW if they still make them!

I believe the rears were Crosslinks.

Back then when I experimented with RawSpeed tires, I had ran Clay compound which was a mistake for our local track, I recently switched to RawSpeed for my 1/8 classes and have grown to appreciate their SLW for summer months and that's what I would consider trying for both the Super Mini and Rip Tide patterns here if I was going to get back into the Mini Truggy today:
https://rawspeedrc.com/tires/1-10-tires-with-inserts/stadium-truck/

If the track ever starts to glaze over and traction falls off, then I would consider applying a very light amount of sauce and rub in with a toothbrush being careful... if you drip any sauce then you're applying way too much, do this about 10-15 min before the race:
https://beachrc.com/tire-treatment-traction-compound-appledew/

glad to hear my setup is working for you and thanks :)

I don't race Mini Truggy anymore, but yes, Chainlinks on the front are money in SSLW if they still make them!

I believe the rears were Crosslinks.

Back then when I experimented with RawSpeed tires, I had ran Clay compound which was a mistake for our local track, I recently switched to RawSpeed for my 1/8 classes and have grown to appreciate their SLW for summer months and that's what I would consider trying for both the Super Mini and Rip Tide patterns here if I was going to get back into the Mini Truggy today:
https://rawspeedrc.com/tires/1-10-tires-with-inserts/stadium-truck/

If the track ever starts to glaze over and traction falls off, then I would consider applying a very light amount of sauce and rub in with a toothbrush being careful... if you drip any sauce then you're applying way too much, do this about 10-15 min before the race:
https://beachrc.com/tire-treatment-traction-compound-appledew/

Wow, the amount of knowledge you bring to these forums always blow my mind! Thank you!

Recent Popular Liked

Back