• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

New Cage Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Lifetime Premium!
Supporting Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
I can't remember if I put anything in my MT410 build thread or not, but to recap i broke the 3D printed front cage mount I had installed. The rear one was fine, but since I was going to have to rethink the design and the printer filament, I thought I'd go ahead and implement some of the ideas I had to make the cage mounts better.

This is a first print, and I'm somewhat surprised it seems fine. There's usually something you forgot or an interference with something you have to correct. However, the print quality isn't what I'd consider good enough. I'm using TPU filament, which I haven't used very often before and need to tune the settings on my printer some before I get it down. The parts look fairly ratty as I didn't clean them up other than to remove some support material. I'm printing another now that should turn out much better.

The reason I'm using TPU is that it's flexible and strong. The PLA that I used for the first version of the mounts is strong, but brittle and doesn't withstand shock very well.

I wanted to figure out how to make the cage mounts in a way that I can easily swing it out of the way or remove it. This is the rear mount which I designed with a hinge utilizing 5mm carbon fiber tube that I had on hand. It seems to function well enough from what I can see at this point. I also incorporated adding the brake lights and tail lights to the base of the mount, although those items aren't installed in these pictures.

The pictures aren't great. I'll get better ones on the final parts.

20200125_170513_HDR.jpg

20200125_170925_HDR.jpg

20200125_171006_HDR.jpg

20200125_172901_HDR.jpg

I assessed the design for the cage mount and naturally came to the conclusion that it could be better. Because you're never really done. You can always find something you think you can improve.

And I did.

After I printed a front cage mount, looked it over, I started thinking I should lower the cage. I had something like 3/4" (18mm) in the back I could lose and something less than that in the front. I realized that it wouldn't be as easy as a simple change, because the screws that hold the cage to the cage mount overlap the screws that attach the cage mount to the shock tower. When the cage attaches to the mount 3/4" higher, it isn't a problem. It definitely is when you lower it.

I spent probably a week just going over it in my head as to what I could do to solve the problem, and realized I also had another problem. The way the cage pivots on the rotation, there would be interference with the shocks and would not open. So I would have to alter how the cage mount would pivot.

I had to lower the hinge, and realign the cage in a way that it shifted forward little over .1" (~2.5mm).

It took a little while to finalize the design, but was worth the effort as it turned out very well. Functions just like I had hoped. I found that I forgot to add clearance for a few nuts on the back of the shock tower, and ended up drilling holes to solve that. Will need to add that to my design if I decide to print another one. That's when, of course, I decide I want to improve something.

The major problem of the first design I had that shattered was the material I used. That was PLA. It's a strong material, but brittle. Not good for something that will will absorb impacts from time to time. This time I used TPU, and I think it will withstand the abuse. It's flexible, reasonably strong, and tough.

The top is to the left in the first picture.

20200216_151653_HDR.jpg

20200216_151722_HDR.jpg

20200216_151810_HDR.jpg

20200222_090930_HDR.jpg

20200222_091552_HDR.jpg

20200222_091224_HDR.jpg

20200222_091355_HDR.jpg

The solution I came up with the for the front isn't something I'm satisfied with at this point. It works, but I think it's too bulky and needs to be redesigned.

I came up with a interlocking design that utilizes a quick release pin. The first version of this was even thicker front to back, and looked awful. This one isn't the prettiest, but better than the other one. Aesthetics are toward the bottom of the list of my priorities, but I don't want it to be a monstrosity, either.

The block that mounts to the shock tower had to have enough depth to allow for clearance to insert the lock pin. That means it had to extend out in front of the shocks due to the lock pin I'm using is inserted horizontally across the front of the assembly.

20200222_091933_HDR.jpg

That depth is what I don't like. I think it's too thick and pushes everything forward.

20200222_092110_HDR.jpg

The interlocking upper piece merely follows function. There's not much to it.

20200222_092230_HDR.jpg

When it's lowered all the way, the quick release pin is inserted horizontally locking the assembly together.

20200222_092446_HDR.jpg

I'm thinking of a redesign for the front involving a hinge, and instead of a horizontal locking pin I'll go vertical. That will get the handle for the pin away from the shock and allow me to reduce the thickness of the overall assembly. I'll attach the upper mount component on the other side of the plate on the cage where it is attached.

Good enough for now.

20200222_092541_HDR.jpg

20200222_092616_HDR.jpg

Now I need to come up with a design for mounting the tail lights and head lights. I'm thinking that I'll use the holes for the body mount posts to attach them.

Recent Popular Liked

Back