• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

How to: Install a more durable and larger fan on your Castle MMX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overkill

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
Remove the shroud and fan.

Fan1.png

Cut off the 4 posts.

Fan2.png

Use the old fan case as a guide to drill out 4 holes.

Fan3.png

Drilled

Fan4.png

Cut out a hole in the shroud and old fan case with a dremel.

Fan6.png

I used M3x30 countersunk screws.

Fan7.png

Make sure you use countersunk screws for the best clearance, and they fit perfect in the old fan case.

Fan8.png

Yeah Racing aluminum case 30mm booster fan vs stock. Part # YA-0576BK

Fan5.png

I used M3 lock nuts on top of 5mm length and 6mm width spacers. You must use spacers with this particular fan because you can't hold on to the nut if they're sitting inside the case.

Fan9.png

Nice custom install!

I've messed around with small fans on 1U server chassis when dealing with heat issues. On small fans the length of the fan is important, as that's where you get CFM throughput. This looks like it could move some air. I'm guessing this is a 30x30x20 fan? Maybe 25 deep.

I pulled out a few Noctua fans I have and see the 40x40x20 is rated very similarly on throughput to the Yeah Racing 30x30x10 Tornado fan. It's rated at 5.5 CFM, and the Noctua is within a tenth or two of that. Noctua fans are known for being quiet, thus they're sacrificing thoughtput for noise reduction. I'd not put one on a ESC/motor as I don't care if the fan is loud.

I also dug out a pair of 40x40x56 Supermicro fans that I pulled out of a 1U chassis that were insanely loud. If I could fit one of them on an RC where I needed cooling, they'd move some serious air. Looked it up. 23 CFM. Actually, the fan is an assembly where there's an inlet and exhaust fan, which spin at different rates. Would need to get a voltage adapter of some sort due to them probably being 12V.

I like the looks of these Yeah Racing fans. They look like they're well built. I'd probably use one of these or something from Supermicro.

@Overkill great mod and how-to. Thanks for sharing man!

More great information from ya buddy, how do you like this fan compared to the R1 fan?
The aluminum case is far more durable than any plastic case that's for sure. The R1 has the best airflow of any fan I've seen tested.

Are these Yeah Racing fans better than the normal plastic Yeah Racing fans that come with the twin fan holder?

Nice mod. You run it off the stock plug coming off the ESC or from the power from the RX. Guess RX be the way to go, not sure on what the output is on the ESC plug.

Recent Popular Liked

Back