• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410.3 First Build: Beginner Racer & Street Basher (Motor + ESC for 2s, 3s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThriceScale

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking and taking notes regarding builds in previous threads…Thanks in advance for any tips regarding my newb questions below!

I am about to begin my first RC build (though I do have experience upgrading a slash 4x4 run on 2s). Currently running on the stock Velinon VXL-3s/ESC with included TQi Transmitter.

Overpowering the vehicle (due to being a relatively new driver) rather than cost is my initial concern. Would like the ability to grow-into the abilities of the car over the next year.

- What would be a high quality: beginner/intermediate: racer/street/light bash motor and esc combo? Looking for high quality combo that is easy to learn and would be primarily focused around 3s with the flexibility to run 2s or 4s (in the future). Are there any additional parts that I would need to allow the system to work together (sizing/gearing requirements)?

- What would be a good transmitter/receiver to work with the suggested system? I have no experience programming ESCs or Transmitters.

Hi,

Your selection process should go this way: battery -> motor / kv -> ESC

Battery selection is a key decision, if wanting to run 4s one day then your kv shouldn't be beyond the 2400 to 2650kv range. Going that high is ok given the fact that the SCT has a smaller 10t diff pinion. Also that kv range will do more than ok on 3s or later on 4s in an on-road rig. Other 3000+kv are going to be 3s only.

On the other side of the kv spectrum, your typical 1900kv is an option but is going to feel slow on 3s.

That leaves you with the following options:
  • 4068 or 4268 (sensored) 2650kv: typical 1/8 buggy motor. Is going to be screaming on 4s and plenty powerful on 3s. HobbyStar on ebay.
  • 3674 2400kv to 2650kv: slightly more conservative motor with less torque. Yet will be a very smooth and responsive setup. That motor size is what Traxxas and Arrma have been introducing on their latest rigs. Again, HobbyStar.
Sensored is fancier for racing, but you can very much live without it. It will be cheaper and one less thing that can fail.

For the ESC:
  • the SC8 is your amazingly proven and affordable 2s to 4s option
  • while the xr8 SCT is going to be the more sophisticated racing ready option
Hope that helps.

Regarding Transmitters, I have used the following and am very happy with them:
  1. Sanwa MT-S: is the Japanese brand's entry level product. Great radio from a reputable manufacturer
  2. Futaba 3PV: great too, less of my liking
  3. Radiolink RC4GS: great value for money, but not the same quality.

Hi,

Your selection process should go this way: battery -> motor / kv -> ESC

Battery selection is a key decision, if wanting to run 4s one day then your kv shouldn't be beyond the 2400 to 2650kv range. Going that high is ok given the fact that the SCT has a smaller 10t diff pinion. Also that kv range will do more than ok on 3s or later on 4s in an on-road rig. Other 3000+kv are going to be 3s only.

On the other side of the kv spectrum, your typical 1900kv is an option but is going to feel slow on 3s.

That leaves you with the following options:
  • 4068 or 4268 (sensored) 2650kv: typical 1/8 buggy motor. Is going to be screaming on 4s and plenty powerful on 3s. HobbyStar on ebay.
  • 3674 2400kv to 2650kv: slightly more conservative motor with less torque. Yet will be a very smooth and responsive setup. That motor size is what Traxxas and Arrma have been introducing on their latest rigs. Again, HobbyStar.
Sensored is fancier for racing, but you can very much live without it. It will be cheaper and one less thing that can fail.

For the ESC:
  • the SC8 is your amazingly proven and affordable 2s to 4s option
  • while the xr8 SCT is going to be the more sophisticated racing ready option
Hope that helps.
Does the following set-up using 4S with a XR8 SCT (ESC) seem like a good choice?
I know you recommended HobbyStar (just looking at other options).

Sensored:
-Tekin Redline T8 GEN3 4030 1/8 Buggy Brushless Sensored Motor (2650kV)
-Hobbywing Xerun 4268SD G2 Sensored Brushless Motor (2600kV)

Non Sensored:
-Hobbywing EZRUN 4268SL Sensorless Brushless Motor (2600kV)

What pinion gear(s) would you recommend?

Regarding Transmitters, I have used the following and am very happy with them:
  1. Sanwa MT-S: is the Japanese brand's entry level product. Great radio from a reputable manufacturer
  2. Futaba 3PV: great too, less of my liking
  3. Radiolink RC4GS: great value for money, but not the same quality.
Regarding the Transmitter/Receiver Sanwa MT-S, Is there any benefit to upgrading to the M17?

Any suggestions regarding receiver if I go the the Sanwa route?

Does the following set-up using 4S with a XR8 SCT (ESC) seem like a good choice?
I know you recommended HobbyStar (just looking at other options).

Sensored:
-Tekin Redline T8 GEN3 4030 1/8 Buggy Brushless Sensored Motor (2650kV)
-Hobbywing Xerun 4268SD G2 Sensored Brushless Motor (2600kV)

Non Sensored:
-Hobbywing EZRUN 4268SL Sensorless Brushless Motor (2600kV)

What pinion gear(s) would you recommend?
They will all work, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the Tekin motor with a HW ESC.

16t or 17t is going to be a great starting point on 3s and be really fast on 4s.

Regarding the Transmitter/Receiver Sanwa MT-S, Is there any benefit to upgrading to the M17?

Any suggestions regarding receiver if I go the the Sanwa route?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the M17.

I use the Rx 482 with integrated antenna. You can find knock offs on Amazon that work as well as the original.

Another vote for the MT-S with RX-482 receiver.
Previously used one with my EB48, and will be sticking with the same for my ET48 too - great radio set.

Honestly after over a year of playing with many possible combinations in my SCT the best overall performance for the $$ is the HW XeRun 3200KV 3660 motor with the HW XeRun SCT ESC.. Just simply awesome on 3s with 16T-18T pinion. Handles 4s w 14T pinion and 2s best with 18-21T pinion. If you're using standard SCT wheels or 1/8 buggy wheels (nothing larger) you could also up to the 3600KV motor with 15-20T pinion for 2-3s. I have an XeRun 4268 2600KV motor in one of my bashing SCTs using 2.8" Badlands and 3-4s batteries to reduce heat buildup... but honestly if you added a good heatsink and fan to the 3660 size they have all the power you'd ever need.

Thank you for all the recommendations!
The build has been fairly easy (for my first kit). Next step shock building....

I am going with the following setup (Based upon Bill DeLong’s input)

ESC: Hobbywing XR8 plus
Motor: Hobbystar 3660-1900KV
Pinion: 18T
Transmitter: Sanwa MTS w/RX482 Receiver (Based on Ifti’s input)

What wheels should i pick up?

Any suggestions on 4S batteries? Brand/Type/ Size/Etc?

Same with battery charger? (Dual set up prefered) with built in AC (No External power block).

Last edited:
Its coming along…Thanks for all the input

Attachments

• 760324EB-3935-4B28-8EB8-B5B89F1D091B.jpeg
    760324EB-3935-4B28-8EB8-B5B89F1D091B.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 221
Another vote for the MT-S with RX-482 receiver.
Previously used one with my EB48, and will be sticking with the same for my ET48 too - great radio set.
Is there anyway to make all the telemetry works with sanwa rx/tx with tekin/hobbywings esc?

Completed her a couple weeks back with some expert assistance from @Billl DeLong!

Finally have gotten a chance run some battery packs through her. Really amazed at the difference in quality and performance vs. my Slash 4x4.

More Tekno kits are in my future!

Attachments

• 8C46A509-8BD8-4CA1-923C-AC11B1DA78B4.jpeg
    8C46A509-8BD8-4CA1-923C-AC11B1DA78B4.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 224
Completed her a couple weeks back with some expert assistance from @Billl DeLong!

Finally have gotten a chance run some battery packs through her. Really amazed at the difference in quality and performance vs. my Slash 4x4.

More Tekno kits are in my future!
What electronics are you running? Motor? Receiver/ transmitter?

Honestly after over a year of playing with many possible combinations in my SCT the best overall performance for the $$ is the HW XeRun 3200KV 3660 motor with the HW XeRun SCT ESC.. Just simply awesome on 3s with 16T-18T pinion. Handles 4s w 14T pinion and 2s best with 18-21T pinion. If you're using standard SCT wheels or 1/8 buggy wheels (nothing larger) you could also up to the 3600KV motor with 15-20T pinion for 2-3s. I have an XeRun 4268 2600KV motor in one of my bashing SCTs using 2.8" Badlands and 3-4s batteries to reduce heat buildup... but honestly if you added a good heatsink and fan to the 3660 size they have all the power you'd ever need.
Is this the one you’re talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HOBBYW...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back