• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Famous esc motor combo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty410

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m about to buy the electronics for my mt410. I’m having trouble picking a motor and esc combo. I plan to run 4s and I plan to run on my lawn a lot and sandpits. I wanted to get the max8/2200kv combo but I saw a lot of people having issues with heat. What’s a combo where I won’t have to worry about heat issues on 4s running on grass. Really don’t want to add fans and heat sinks. And don’t want to relocate the esc. Thanks

Hey guys I’m about to buy the electronics for my mt410. I’m having trouble picking a motor and esc combo. I plan to run 4s and I plan to run on my lawn a lot and sandpits. I wanted to get the max8/2200kv combo but I saw a lot of people having issues with heat. What’s a combo where I won’t have to worry about heat issues on 4s running on grass. Really don’t want to add fans and heat sinks. And don’t want to relocate the esc. Thanks
Drop down to a 1900kv motor and it will help your temps this will work great on 4s

It really depends on how fast you want to go, the only reason a motor gets hot is when it's working hard. Even a higher kV motor will have a sweet spot for a given voltage, in your case 4s.

The thing with 4s is even though the voltage is lower and the speed is lower, the current that the motor is calling for can be similar to what it would be on 6s at a higher speed. So you can still run into heat issues on 4s, depending on what type of driving you're doing.

I ran a Max 6 with a 4092 1480kv motor and a 4092 1650kv in some of my Arrma rigs. I found that it was easier to get the speed I wanted from the higher kV motor, I also didn't have the heat issues I was having with the lower kV motor trying to run it harder. This came down to the pinion I was running on the motor.

The thing I'm trying to say is if you're going to be running heavy upgrades and large diameter tyres, you will have to be careful with whatever esc and motor you choose as it's going to need to be able to provide more power to move the truck. If you keep it stock then it will be lighter and easier to keep temps down. The Max 8 is a good enough esc and the 4274 size can, should be big enough to manage your temps, I run the sensored version in my race ET48 2.0 and it will flatten a battery without hitting thermal on the motor.

If you're getting the Max 8 just be aware that the size limit on the motor is a 4274, so if you do want to get a larger can you might be better off going to the Max 6 upfront? Sorry if I haven't helped at all.

Bottom line is if you're motor is overheating running a smaller pinion will usually help, if you're esc is overheating run a larger pinion. That's a very simplified statement as there can be other factors involved, but it usually works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought out responses. I went to lhs and the only combo they had that would work was the spectrum 150a esc and 2050kv motor combo. I grabbed that and 15/16 tooth pinions. And I grabbed 4s backflip tires. I should be good right?

Thanks for the thought out responses. I went to lhs and the only combo they had that would work was the spectrum 150a esc and 2050kv motor combo. I grabbed that and 15/16 tooth pinions. And I grabbed 4s backflip tires. I should be good right?
Yeah you should be good, though I can't tell for certain since I have not tested it yet, but I myself plan to run this setup on 4s too.

Last edited:
Have you gotten the blx combo yet? I’ve ran mine from my typhon in my mt48.3. 2050kv is to fast for 6s and to slow for 4s. I like 2200kv 4s hobbystar motor. Very good power with 17t pinion

Matty, do post back your experience. I think that combo will over heat on warm days if you go full throttle until the battery dies like I do when am at an open field. Love to see dogs run after it and get exhausted lol.

Recent Popular Liked

Back