• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Diff mesh too tight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skynet5

Reaction score
I've noticed that having replaced the center diff oil the mesh tightness can be adjusted by the tightness of the screws.

I tightened down only my hand, but even wrenching till snug the diffs are hard to move. If I back off the screws a little then it's fine.

Wondering if I've done something stupidly obvious wrong. Haven't noticed this before.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_150029.jpg
    IMG_20200907_150029.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 242
Something is wrong, I suspect you have a bad diff gasket that needs to be replaced or you might be using the wrong ones, note that the 1.0 and 2.0 seals are different, so be sure you buy the correct part for the version car you are running:

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5143-differential-seals-3pcs/

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr9143-differential-seals-2-0-3pcs/

Over time, the seals can compress as they wear which can effect your mesh... another possibility is if you ran the diff dry and "cooked" the diff then the plastic may have melted which means you need to replace the plastic diff housing.

I would rebuild the diff again and see if you can find anything that doesn't look right, also be sure place all the gears inside so they are flush before installing the crown gear like this:

Last edited:
So I've got the right gaskets. Just double checked.
I've opened it up and the gasket is destroyed already.

Ive replaced oil before, twice and not had this problem with the gasket. I had only just decided to replace it as it had a via small tear in it.

Rebuilding. Case looks fine. Gears look fine.

Gasket bits all through the diff housing.

Confused .

The “cooking” of the plastic diff case is very subtle. You could notice it is slightly harder to install the spider gears in the case. That’s it.

Once you cleaned up all parts and checked their integrity, there is not much else you can do than replacing possible warped plastics.

I just must have overtightened for the gasket to look like that?

Attachments

• 15994911552038563958299569067445.jpg
    15994911552038563958299569067445.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 313
So I've rebuilt. Rewatched the video.

I think over time the screws have become easier to screw in, and I just didn't realised the damage being caused to the gasket. The one I threw out was almost mint compare to that.

Rebuilt, and as soon as I have some resistance from the screw I've stopped to avoid destroying the gasket.

As a quick check I put the spur against the case without the gasket and they mesh and immediately bind. So I guess destroying the gasket led to the crown gear pushing on the spider gears.
Everything turned nicely whilst building them.

Last edited:
Worth adding I haven't as of yet let my diffs run dry. I'm certain I just overtightened, squashed the gasket. Although man I thought it was just snug.

Thanks all for the advice, will come in handy for other diff problems I'm sure.

Blasted it round a local track for a good few hours. No diff leak so tightness level is just right.

Same issue as you, man. Brand new diff... It's frustrating. Any other hints before I use my new gaskets?
Guess you have if fixed? My gasket was a mess through overtightening. Very odd. As I'm sure I was careful.

Not had any stripped screws personally. Maybe the diff housing is bad?

Guess you have if fixed? My gasket was a mess through overtightening. Very odd. As I'm sure I was careful.

Not had any stripped screws personally. Maybe the diff housing is bad?
There was some flash on the inside of the diff housing from manufacturing that caused the binding. It was a crazy small piece too, like a pin head. I jumped the gun though and bought a new housing before I fixed it. Oh well now I have a spare.

Recent Popular Liked

Back