• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Diff mesh too tight.

Skynet5

Reaction score
I've noticed that having replaced the center diff oil the mesh tightness can be adjusted by the tightness of the screws.

I tightened down only my hand, but even wrenching till snug the diffs are hard to move. If I back off the screws a little then it's fine.

Wondering if I've done something stupidly obvious wrong. Haven't noticed this before.

Attachments

Billl DeLong

TF Excellence Award
Supporting Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
EB410, EB48, ET48, ET410, MT410, SCT410
Driving Style
Racer
Something is wrong, I suspect you have a bad diff gasket that needs to be replaced or you might be using the wrong ones, note that the 1.0 and 2.0 seals are different, so be sure you buy the correct part for the version car you are running:

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5143-differential-seals-3pcs/

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr9143-differential-seals-2-0-3pcs/

Over time, the seals can compress as they wear which can effect your mesh... another possibility is if you ran the diff dry and "cooked" the diff then the plastic may have melted which means you need to replace the plastic diff housing.

I would rebuild the diff again and see if you can find anything that doesn't look right, also be sure place all the gears inside so they are flush before installing the crown gear like this:

Last edited:

Skynet5

Reaction score
So I've got the right gaskets. Just double checked.
I've opened it up and the gasket is destroyed already.

Ive replaced oil before, twice and not had this problem with the gasket. I had only just decided to replace it as it had a via small tear in it.

Skynet5

Reaction score
Rebuilding. Case looks fine. Gears look fine.

Gasket bits all through the diff housing.

Confused .

Nicochau

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
EB48, ET48
Driving Style
Basher
The “cooking” of the plastic diff case is very subtle. You could notice it is slightly harder to install the spider gears in the case. That’s it.

Once you cleaned up all parts and checked their integrity, there is not much else you can do than replacing possible warped plastics.

Skynet5

Reaction score
So I've rebuilt. Rewatched the video.

I think over time the screws have become easier to screw in, and I just didn't realised the damage being caused to the gasket. The one I threw out was almost mint compare to that.

Rebuilt, and as soon as I have some resistance from the screw I've stopped to avoid destroying the gasket.

As a quick check I put the spur against the case without the gasket and they mesh and immediately bind. So I guess destroying the gasket led to the crown gear pushing on the spider gears.
Everything turned nicely whilst building them.

Last edited:

Skynet5

Reaction score
Worth adding I haven't as of yet let my diffs run dry. I'm certain I just overtightened, squashed the gasket. Although man I thought it was just snug.

Thanks all for the advice, will come in handy for other diff problems I'm sure.

Skynet5

Reaction score
Blasted it round a local track for a good few hours. No diff leak so tightness level is just right.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F MT410 Center diff advise needed MT410 8
HeavyBag 48 2.0 Gearbox/Diff Pinion Gear Bearings EB48 8
Nicochau 48.4 center diff binding EB48 9
C EB 48 2.0 center diff problem EB48 11

Recent Popular Liked