• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Centre Diff Build Disaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeknoHov

Reaction score
Centre Diff Build Disaster.

Hi All,

Finally got round to starting a build today, but the diff is destroyed.

Built using the steel 44 tooth hardened steel gear; the 4 M3 screws would not start / bind with the case at all, kept turning and turning, and sort of became worn on the end .

Couple of screws went in wonky after having to apply a lot of force, heard a slight split

Backed it off, and managed to get all screws in by applying considerable down force, trying to keep them straight.

Turning both out drives the gears are smooth, turning one out drive and the action is not smooth, and jams.

My fear is part of the screw hole has snapped and protruding into the inside of the chamber?

Does it need some force to get the scres started in the case? I fear another TRK91115 is needed….

Cheers

A little chapstick helps a great deal. It does take a bit of muscle. I would thread each screw a few turns then back it off a couple turns then repeat the process. Time consuming but works. Be sure to tighten in a “ star “ pattern.

This is your best friend for RC work, especially for building kits. Goes as slow as you want or fast also. Costly? Maybe. Not after you build a kit with it. Worth every penny. Shop around, may find a better deal.

Forgot the link. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF68...ords=dewalt+screwdriver&qid=1659980110&sr=8-2

These are a decent starter bits. But will want the best you can find. I have a set that are color coded for size. Can't remember the brand name.

Last edited:
Thanks @Cheez, had lypsil (uk brand for chapstick) ready for other parts of the build, and shall start the next diffs with chapstick n screws before screwong in the spur, to start the holes.

Yep to the star tightening advice, the first screw went off axis far too quickly n easily...

Shall be orderinga new case tomorrow...

Thanks @sandblaster , ive always refrained using power tools to prevent one slight press of the trigger and destroying something..

Tis a skill n experience n power tool thing!

Ta,

H

Has no trigger. Use twist of wrist to control. VERY easy to control speed. Slow wrist movement = slow rotation. To start screws straight like you talked about, this makes it so easy. Not trying to hold straight, push and twist at same time. Push and slight movement of wrist, it drives the screws with ease.

I watch some take screws out with big fast screwdrivers and wonder how they keep from overheat. With this unit it can go as slow as by hand. Have built many kits with it and much repair type work. Would not be with out it. Saves the wrist and arms. Designed by Dewalt with electricians in mind. Can be set to tighten the small screws on switch and outlet plates to stop before breaking the plates. Give it a 10 out of 10. Find a store that sells them and go have a look. I would not use a pistol type screwdriver. They are too fast and too much torque.

First couple of kits build by hand tools only. Once I got and tired this there was not going back to hand.

You use a trigger to control your RC, this is much easier to use and control. Given you good options to make you building easier. Enjoy the build no matter what tools you decided to use.

Thanks @sandblaster for the details.

It wasnt showing on amazon uk so i didnt realise its motion activated. Will bear one in mind for the future, and if comes on offer.

Thanks again,

H

Recent Popular Liked

Back