• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Cant decide! 1900kv or 2200kv motor?!

Which Combo?

• Hobbywing Combo-XR8 Pro G2-4268 G3-OffRoad-B 1900kV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hobbywing Combo-XR8 Pro G2-4268 G3-OffRoad-B 2200kV

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifti

Reaction score
Originally ordered a XR8-Plus with a 2250kv motor for another ET48 2.0 build, but has been lost in the post, so need to re-order, and have decided to go with the XR8 Pro instead considering I doubt I will ever run above 4s on this truck anyways.

So, I'm torn between the following options I have available to me:

Hobbywing Combo-XR8 Pro G2-4268 G3-OffRoad-A 1900kV​

Hobbywing Combo-XR8 Pro G2-4268 G3-OffRoad-B 2200kV​

To be run on short grass/gravel/dirt as a general basher - so stop/start style driving, not constant speed run style.
4s 6000mAh battery packs
I have 16T and 17T pinions in my box at the moment, will most likely start with the 16T......
UK weather, so ambient temps can fluctuate between 20-30c during the summer.....

From my understanding, the 1900kv will give me belter acceleration and less top end speed, but will produce less heat, which seems ideal for a basher? I can then always increase pinion size if I want more speed?.....
Although I see many others with bashers going for a much higher kv motor, so maybe the 2200kv may be better and perfectly adequate, and more efficient, for my intended setup while giving me the all round good speed Im after??

I cant decide!!! Help!

Last edited:
Hi Ifti,

Do you have to stick with 4268 sized motors? A 4274 2000kv would be a better fit and what I see in 99% of racing truggies.

I'd prefer to stick with a combo package to avoid any compatibility issues, and the above two options are the only ones I have available to me at the moment!

Would it make a noticeable difference to run a 4268 over a 4274 (2250kv)?
I believe the temp differences would be minimal, and considering the XR8 Pro ESC is limited to 4s (which is the most I'd run anyways), I wouldn't need the extra 4274 6s capability.....

Or am I missing something?

EDIT:
I think the below option is also available by Hobbywing but I cant find it supplied anywhere near me unfortunately.

Hobbywing XR8 Pro G2 ESC Combo With 4274 G3 2250Kv Motor​

Last edited:
Within reason they are close enough that with gearing there won’t be much in it for bashing!

For bashing I prefer to lower the kv and up the voltage to get the rpm range I want.

If you will be club racing, then I would recommend the 4274-2200KV or 4274-2250KV motors

If you get the XR8 Pro ESC then you must get a HobbyWing branded motor, it can be older version motor, but may not be compatible with other brands of motors.

If you get the XR8 PLUS ESC then you can run many different brands of motors, I've had really good luck with GoolRC, Rocket and HobbyStar branded motors.

Many people in my area are having premature failures with the XR8 Pro ESC, I believe they have some bugs to work out with the ESC... so far I've got 8+ race days with my XR8 Pro without any issues, but time will tell as these other guys are having issues at around the 10-15 race day mark.

I personally would recommend the XR8 PLUS which is a stable release.

Within reason they are close enough that with gearing there won’t be much in it for bashing!

For bashing I prefer to lower the kv and up the voltage to get the rpm range I want.
+1

I would go with a lower KV to keep temps down and allow the electronics to last longer if you don't need to be competitive.

I'd prefer to stick with a combo package to avoid any compatibility issues, and the above two options are the only ones I have available to me at the moment!

Would it make a noticeable difference to run a 4268 over a 4274 (2250kv)?
I believe the temp differences would be minimal, and considering the XR8 Pro ESC is limited to 4s (which is the most I'd run anyways), I wouldn't need the extra 4274 6s capability.....

Or am I missing something?

Hey, here is what I find a bit surprising in your request, hopefully it will also help you assess things.

You are mentioning a fairly sophisticated combo including a high performance ESC. But at the same time picking a motor that is not the perfect fit for your truck.

The difference in torque between 4274 and 4268 motors is significant. Or significant enough to actually make a difference. Truggies not only are a bit heavier, more importantly they run more rubber and can deliver more power to the ground. Hence the longer / torquier motor.

Secondly, I have never experienced compatibility problems between motors and ESCs.

I see multiple scenarios moving forward:
  1. Build a basher: go for a 4074 motor (unsensored), any ESC will more or less do
  2. Build a bashable / occasional racer:
    1. You could easily pick a cheaper xr8 SCT (140A)
    2. pick any brand 4074 or 4274 motor (sensored or not sensored)
  3. Build a sophisticated racer:
    1. HobbyWing (Pro) or Tekin combo
    2. 4274 sensored 2000kv motor from the same manufacturer
  4. Build a shelf queen: nothing wrong about this, pick same color / brand electronics and match wires
The combo your are suggesting will work. What I'm saying is you should either go all the way and get the right motor for it or you can save yourself some cash by going for a cheaper option.

This is just my opinion , but hope it helps.

^ yeah I missed the can size!

you need the truggy motor otherwise straight out the gate you are working that motor so heat will build!

you’ll probably find the 2250 74 can will run as cool as the 1900 68, diameter gives the biggest increase in power but an extra few mm in length makes a difference.

I've been running a XR8 Plus with a 4268 2200kv combo in my Kraton Track "Race Spec" build. The combo is very good, but, I have hit thermal (I have mine set to the lower limits) it was hot day, and I was running 4s during a track day. I always wished I had gone to the 4274 in that car. The esc is fantastic and if you aren't racing in a restricted class throwing a 6s lipo in is a lot of fun.

wow tons of solid info, thanks guys!!

Prefer to stick with a Hobbywing setup as I'd like to use the OTA programming module etc I already have!

Now thinking of going back to the Plus considering the reliability issues @Billl DeLong mentions. Would rather something within proven reliability.....

I had originally ordered the XR8-Plus with the 4274 G2 2250kv motor, so guess I was on the correct track!
As that's lost, I may reorder the XR8-Plus with the 4274 G3 2250 motor, starting with a 16t pinion.....

The knowledge that comes from you guys is fantastic! Thank you!

Recent Popular Liked

Back