• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Battery settings....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifti

Reaction score
I have the attached battery, which fits in the EB48 to perfection, although at the moment I only have a Traxxas Live charger to charge the unit with!
I'm able to input settings manually - how many amps should I be charging at?

Also, whats a safe voltage cut off to set my ESC to?

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 218
I have the attached battery, which fits in the EB48 to perfection, although at the moment I only have a Traxxas Live charger to charge the unit with!
I'm able to input settings manually - how many amps should I be charging at?

Also, whats a safe voltage cut off to set my ESC to?
You should charge it at 4S - 8amps, if your charger can output 8amps, if it can't just set it as high as it will go, it will just take a while to charge.

I have my cutoff set to 3.3v on my Mamba Monster X.

Thanks!
Yes my charger can go up to 12amps.
Is it safer to keep the amps lower, even though it increases charge time?? Was thinking of keeping it at around 5-6 amps if its safer to do so??

The 1C charge limit is a recommendation that was given to first generation LiPo's which were typically in the 20C to 40C range. Over the years the technology has advanced significantly with many brands of batteries supporting 100C+

As for the OP's battery, the manufacturer recommends 2C charge rate per the specs listed here:
https://www.ludicrouslipo.co.uk/our...-pack-lipo-4S-152V-100c200c-18-2c-charge.html

Since your charger can support 12A that works out to roughly 12A/8Ah = 1.5C

Regardless, I would get into the habit of checking the Internal Resistance (IR) of the cells, more info here:
Which charger is the best?

My personal preference for LVC is around 3.3V/cell which leaves them pretty close to storage mode at rest. I simply run my car to LVC and then the battery is essentially in storage mode ;)

Thanks!
Yes my charger can go up to 12amps.
Is it safer to keep the amps lower, even though it increases charge time?? Was thinking of keeping it at around 5-6 amps if its safer to do so??

Nice battery you have there. With that C rating, I’m assuming it is a high end pack. You should easily be able to charge it at 2C if not 3C (3 x 8 = 24A). You should look into manufacturers notes.

When not in a hurry, I charge at 1C (8A in this case). Would definitely not bother charging at a lower rate. There is still that impression from the Nimh days that lower is better, but I have never encountered any technical or scientific publication that would suggest it. My belief is that those packs are such high performance that 1C is already fairly easy for them. Check their temperature while you charging them, my guess is it will hardly move up.

Low end batteries are a different story, you should really stick to 1C. A battery that starts to heat up at 1C is a dead lipo and you should toss it.

Wicked - thanks guys!
Electronics are in now, so just need to update firmware, set up the ESC, and set steering endpoints, and hopefully out for a first test this weekend!!!

My personal preference for LVC is around 3.3V/cell which leaves them pretty close to storage mode at rest. I simply run my car to LVC and then the battery is essentially in storage mode ;)

Ive always previously storage charged to around 3.8v per cell?

Ive always previously storage charged to around 3.8v per cell?

3.3V/cell under load typically works out to roughly 3.8V/cell at rest ;)

play around with it, if you don't work your car hard, then 3.4V/cell might be closer to 3.8V/cell at rest

Recent Popular Liked

Back