• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

5mm CVD Driveshafts are in!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa this just took a crazy turn....... lol. Then again I try to get rid of my wife sometimes too.

Oops. Now that i read it again some peeps might get the wrong impression from what I wrote. My bad. Yes his wife is smokin hot but I would never. She is a recruiter/head hunter so when I need people for permanent or temp positions she helps me out. No further comment from my end.:p

Oops. Now that i read it again some peeps might get the wrong impression from what I wrote. My bad. Yes his wife is smokin hot but I would never. She is a recruiter/head hunter so when I need people for permanent or temp positions she helps me out. No further comment from my end.:p
HAHAHAHA Oh yeah, we got the wrong impression. I figured there was more to the story that was left out. Otherwise I was going to say that I need to find a neighbor like that. Borrow the wife when I want and not deal with the attitude and nagging!

I've updated my first post with more information.

I went to the BMX track yesterday and really put these to the test. The driveshaft popped out of the outdrive twice during some big air crashes, so I needed to make some changes to the shim locations. I removed the 2mm shim from the hex side and instead put it right in front of the inner bearing as shown in the picture. This pushes the driveshaft further inside the outdrive and now we're good to go.

Thanks for the update and testing Overkill. Simple problem and a simple fix.

This is the only part that Arrma makes thicker than Tekno. The Tekno shafts are 3.8mm diameter and the Arrmas are 5mm. The Arrmas are 2.5mm longer and you must use the Arrma stub axles because the ball end is larger and doesn't fit in the Tekno stub axle. FYI, Arrma uses good quality hardened steel.

1. Remove the 13x19x4 bearing from the inner part of the hub and instead use a 8x16x5 bearing further inside the hub like you would when using the Tekno universals, so now you're using two 8x16x5 bearings. The driveshaft has moved further inside therefore making the other end of the dog bone in the correct position inside the outdrive, perfect!
  2. I had some custom steel rings made that slide over the stub axle pin. The pin has nowhere to go but I don't want it moving around.
  3. Place a 2mm thick shim in front of the inner bearing to get the dog bone further in the outdrive. This will put it in the same exact position as a stock Tekno dog bone.
  4. The pin on the hex side of the Arrma stub axle is 2.5mm and Tekno uses 3mm. I definitely want to use the Tekno hexes and pins, so I drilled out the hole.
  5. On one side of the truck I'm using a 0.3mm shim right behind the hex, the other side has no shims.
  6. I used the M2C delrin shock cap bushings on the front which have a flange/collar on them that spaces the shocks/springs out just a tiny bit, giving the thicker driveshafts adequate clearance so they don't rub on the spring. The rear driveshafts have plenty of clearance.
Parts Needed:

Beefy

View attachment 382

Size comparison
5mm vs 3.8mm

View attachment 383

Custom steel rings

View attachment 384

Covers the pin

View attachment 385

In the hub

View attachment 393

Drilled out to 3mm in order to use Tekno hexes and pins

View attachment 386

2mm thick shim goes right in front of the inner bearing

View attachment 894

The shim pushes the driveshaft further inside the outdrive for the correct position

View attachment 895

M2C delrin shock cap bushings with the built in flange/collar which spaces the shock/spring out just a tiny bit

View attachment 896

The bushings create more clearance so there's no rubbing

View attachment 897
I have some arrma cvds laying around. Im gonna give this a try! You're wicked with these Teknos my guy!

Thanks for all this Overkill. I've been trashing rears. Oh, and really thanks for the "get both the 2mm and 1.5mm shims from McMaster". Turns out I needed the 1.5mm's to get the hex pin to line up.

Has anyone tried the GPM Talion shafts? (Part # MAT142SF-BK) I took a flier and bought a pair off Amazon. These things are massive at 6.6mm at their thickest (5.3mm at the thinnest). The scale confirms that with 27g for the stock shaft & carrier and 46g for the GPM's. Waiting on the clips (arriving soon) and a 3mm drill bit for the hex hole. I can't imagine how I'd snap these but I'll try my best.

If anybody else tries the GPM ones, I needed a 1mm shim for the rears with the stock hexes. https://www.mcmaster.com/98089A375 I didn't do the fronts so no idea if it needs a different size.

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back