• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

TEKNO TKR5113S HARDENED STEEL DIFF CASE toooo tight. HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRIS4910

Reaction score
Buiding MT410 TO ET48. Using the steel diff cases from TEKNO TKR5113S. Have built plenty of diffs. I used all original MT410 internals. The diff is locked up. Only way it turns is adding second gasket. Even then to notchy. Makes no sense. The plastic cases work fine. Has anyone had an over tight diff using this Steel case? Id like to eliminate the 2 .3mm shims in the diff, but not possible for the way its designed. HELP lol

I don't have any experience with the steel diff cases, but every plastic diff case I have owned will wear out and lock up over time, the plastic cases simply needed to be replaced to fix the issue where the top of the case wears away from the heat of the crown gear.... perhaps that may be happening to the steel case as well?

That said, most of my plastic diff cases would typically last between 6 months to a year before they needed to be replaced which has always been acceptable for me.

I don't have any experience with the steel diff cases, but every plastic diff case I have owned will wear out and lock up over time, the plastic cases simply needed to be replaced to fix the issue where the top of the case wears away from the heat of the crown gear.... perhaps that may be happening to the steel case as well?

That said, most of my plastic diff cases would typically last between 6 months to a year before they needed to be replaced which has always been acceptable for me.
Thank you for the reply. If these were used cases i might think somethiung up. They are brand new. Tolerances may not be correct in this case. Just makes no sense. Your issue of them wearing out is one of the many reasons i wanted to start with steel cases.

oh that sounds strange, makes me wonder if there are different parts to be used?

I have doubled up a gasket in the past in a pinch (with a worn plastic diff) and that worked okay without any leaks, but would suck to think that is the only solution with the steel diff :(

oh that sounds strange, makes me wonder if there are different parts to be used?

I have doubled up a gasket in the past in a pinch (with a worn plastic diff) and that worked okay without any leaks, but would suck to think that is the only solution with the steel diff :(

Well doubling the gasket only worked when I switched to the Steel spur gear as if I was building the the center diff. I don’t what ti do . I’ve reached out to Tekno and a few other people . No reply . Maybe someone has used them on here and will chime in ….

I messaged him .
By tagging him here is effectively the same thing, no need to message him as that double posts and if he replies to the private message instead of this thread, then we risk losing public knowledge for a working solution.

By tagging him here is effectively the same thing, no need to message him as that double posts and if he replies to the private message instead of this thread, then we risk losing public knowledge for aSor
Sorry, im new to this posting thing. If he replies to the private message first , i will make sure i copy it here so others can see.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy this last weekend.
A diff being too tight usually points to gaskets that are worn out or a plastic spur that's been overtightened. But, if you're able to take everything from the locked up diff and install it in a plastic case and it works without issue, that would seem to point to a defect in the steel case. If you have access to calipers it would be good to measure the depth of the steel case and compare it to the plastic one.

Recent Popular Liked

Back