• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410.3 OMG my head hurts trying to figure out electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefan

Reaction score
Hi guys,
A lot of searches have lead me here. Plus I've read some of Bill's stuff on RCgroups.

even though I have a bunch of stuff and been in the hobby a long time- I really don't know what I'd doing when it comes to selecting an electronics system. I have a bunch of RTR stuff. An old Losi Desert Truck, an original (i'm pretty sure) 2wd Slash. Last fall I bought an ARRMA Granite Mega, that I converted to brushless (wish I had just bought the 3s to start).

I tried this thread but I feel like I'm missing some important info.
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/bashing-on-3s-and-4s-capable.1803/

I feel like i need some basic info about motors. Not sure where to look. But I'd like to understand why recomendations are being made and I'm having a hard time with the above thread regarding motors.

I like the idea of the electronics not getting too hot. is the idea with 4s not to go faster, but to run just as fast, have more torque maybe, but be more efficient and cool?

Recommendation wise- im looking for

1) easy to put into the kit and fit nicely. No buying extra crap or ghettoblasting something into working. I don't want to upgrade the drivetrain.
2) I'd prefer bang for buck over budget. So i really like the idea of a hobbywing ESC and some ebay motor.
3) I have a few 2s batteries, a brand new 3s battery. I suppose I could really start anywhere battery-wise. I remember reading some post somewhere, most likely by Bill Delong, that 4s was the best. I don't know why.

4) I don't understand what motor to get. I see that there is a can size that affects torque.
5) Don't know what I need for steering servo.

I bought the SCT410.3 on tower hobbies memorial day sale because I've been reading some of Bill Delong's stuff over the past few months. Also some guys at the local bashing track just bought tekin stuff (1/8 truggies i think). The idea was 1) buy something I can tune a lot of the suspension and stuff like that out of the gate without spending a bunch of money on upgrades. 2) pride of building something 3) durability 4) something different for me. Forty some years ago I put together a tamayi grasshopper. Regarding kits, thats all I've done for cars. (also have some experience with RTR helis and planes)

This is going to be a basher. The track is outside, and is very loose gritty dirt/ almost sand, on top of clay. Pretty low traction. I also anticipate doing a tiny bit of grass and street in my yard. If i ever get the desire to race, I will buy the appropriate gear for that.

Thanks
Ken

For a basher, this is what I would buy for myself today for a modest budget:

Radio: RadioLink RC4GS
Servo: JX PDI-HV7232MG
ESC: HobbyWing EZRun Max8 150A Sensorless
Motor: HobbyStar 3665-2600KV Sensorless
Battery: HobbyStar 3S-40C-4.2Ah
Charger: Junsi iCharger X6
Power Supply: HP Proliant 750W Conversion

I recommend sensorless which not only is less expensive, but will have fewer things to go wrong which will increase durability and efficiency. Only get a sensored system when you plan to be competitive and even then I would club race with a sensorless at least until you're above the 93% consistency mark... the more often you wreck, the more often you will damage sensored components.

Under no circumstance would I ever recommend a 2S in 4WD SCT, 3S is the bare minimum, normally I'd recommend 4S with a 1800KV motor but they are all out of stock right now, so the next best thing is 3S with a 2600KV motor.

For a basher, this is what I would buy for myself today for a modest budget:

Radio: RadioLink RC4GS
Servo: JX PDI-HV7232MG
ESC: HobbyWing EZRun Max8 150A Sensorless
Motor: HobbyStar 3665-2600KV Sensorless
Battery: HobbyStar 3S-40C-4.2Ah
Charger: Junsi iCharger X6
Power Supply: HP Proliant 750W Conversion

I recommend sensorless which not only is less expensive, but will have fewer things to go wrong which will increase durability and efficiency. Only get a sensored system when you plan to be competitive and even then I would club race with a sensorless at least until you're above the 93% consistency mark... the more often you wreck, the more often you will damage sensored components.

Under no circumstance would I ever recommend a 2S in 4WD SCT, 3S is the bare minimum, normally I'd recommend 4S with a 1800KV motor but they are all out of stock right now, so the next best thing is 3S with a 2600KV motor.
Thank you very much Bill!! You always seem to contribute so much! Thanks!

I think somewhere I think in that 4s and 3s basher thread, you (or perhaps someone else) linked a slightly different motor. It appears to be in stock. would this work for 4s?

https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...brushless-sensorless-motor-v2-waterproof.html.

Is there a servo that you would recommend that doesn't take a month to arrive (ebay esitmates july 7-july 23)
I see this one in your rcgroups bookmark page

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopow...ear-digital-servo-ecp-120t/p-qtacq2uq7z2xactz

Yes a 3274-1900KV will do quite well in the SCT410.3 just be sure to dial back the punch on the ESC to the lowest setting and don't go any higher than 10K in the front/center diffs.... I would start with 7-7-3 in the diffs and see how that feels.

If you put too much power or hard acceleration with the 3274 can, you risk wearing out the pins on the CVD's prematurely. Just be smooth on the throttle and you'll do just fine :)

Yes that EcoPower servo is essentially the same thing as the JX I recommended above, only main difference is that it's a plastic case instead of solid aluminum case. Also order a spare set of servo gears for it too, they tend to wear out about once a year.

Last edited:
I personally run 4s on a 3674 2400kv motor with no problem whatsoever. 1900kv will be super safe.

In my experience the 3674 is less powerful than traditional 4068 buggy motors. That will help being gentle with the SCT410 driveline.

I appreciate the responses Bill and Nicochau. With the 2400kv motor, what kind of temps are you getting? What track conditions?

I appreciate the responses Bill and Nicochau. With the 2400kv motor, what kind of temps are you getting? What track conditions?
3674 motor, 2400kv, 15t pinion, 4s 5000mAh packs
Run in SoCal with ambiant temp in the 70F.
Soft small to midsized track, loose dirt.

I never go above 150F on the motor, but I’m not too hard of a driver either. I look for consistency over raw speed.

3674 motor, 2400kv, 15t pinion, 4s 5000mAh packs
Run in SoCal with ambiant temp in the 70F.
Soft small to midsized track, loose dirt.

I never go above 150F on the motor, but I’m not too hard of a driver either. I look for consistency over raw speed.
Thank you!!

Recent Popular Liked

Back