• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

how many people have you got into the hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colbythenoob

Reaction score
as we all know rc is a big hobby and i have gotten 4 people interested and into the hobby with trucks tools and all, have you done this,

Wow, that's a GREAT question! I know that each of us who are passionate about this hobby LOVE to share that passion with whomever will listen! I wish I could tell you how many people whom I've gotten into the hobby, but I don't know for sure. Only 2 for cars, but probably over 20 for airplanes, especially if you count the trickle-down effect of "and so on, and so on..." Here's why:

I like to take my various RC's (cars, quads, planes and heli's) to work from time-to-time and let them sit on my desk during the day. That always raises interest. Then I take them outside at lunch time to fly or drive. That always attracts a small group. Most of those folks are just mildly curious, but some share their e-mail address with me and ask me to send them more info and links to good starter vehicles. I am an aerospace engineer at a company that builds things which fly, so I find that most of the interest is in RC's that fly. My management is very understanding and even encourages it. They love to see people getting into a hobby that shares a link to their jobs and they love the camaraderie that it creates. In fact, I can claim my immediate manager as an RC convert. He likes the quads.

Most of the folks at my work want to fly airplanes right off the bat. If they will listen, I recommend starting as I did by learning to fly on a docile quad such as the affordable and stable Syma X5C-1, then move over to airplanes. My first convert was December 2-years ago. That's when I started learning to fly. I had started with cars 2-years before that. A colleague had seen me flying a CX10 at my desk at work one day and was fascinated, so I got him one for an early Christmas. He was hooked! We actually progressed together up through larger quads such as the Syma X5C and X8C and the JJRC H16 (AKA Yizhan Tarantula X6). From there, we moved to airplanes such as the simple UMX Sport Cub S (with SAFE). Then we both flew the very docile UMX PT-17 Biplane. It was nice to know that we could actually fly something WITHOUT SAFE! Now we fly pretty much whatever we want. I really enjoy large EDF's (electric ducted fans).

That colleague is now an avid flyer and is my regular flying buddy. We often fly airplanes together at lunch time at work. We are incredibly fortunate that there is a large empty field right next to our building. We also joined the same RC flying club (San Diego Wingmasters) and we fly together on weekends. He has become quite good. In fact, he has easily surpassed me, but that's not surprising because he's still only in his 40's which means he can still see reasonably well! He's also a video gamer, so he has the feel and the reflexes! He is now another passionate champion of the hobby. I know of at least 3 people that he is personally responsible for.

Sorry for all the airplane stuff on a car forum. I do absolutely LOVE my cars, too!

Last edited:
My boss bought a $1000+ airplane and smashed to bits in the first 10 seconds of his first flight. He wrote off rc at that moment. I gave him a my cheap beat up multiplex easy star. He's been at it for a while but hasn't gone back to the high dollar stuff yet but now has a number of foam planes he enjoys every weekend.

Awesome story! Way to help him out! It's amazing how many people are drawn to the big flashy planes, or fast, squirrely military planes without ever having flown them. I'd say that most of them leave the hobby, never to return. Your boss is one of the lucky ones, thanks to you!

as we all know rc is a big hobby and i have gotten 4 people interested and into the hobby with trucks tools and all, have you done this,
I've almost got a couple...but the cost is a pretty big commitment if you aren't sure you're gonna stick with it....good thing I do t have that problem #addicted

Recent Popular Liked

Back