• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410.3 Gearing for 3s bat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAD Racer

Reaction score
I am set up with a Tekin 4300 4 pole and have a 2S battery, 44 spur and 17 pinion. Running on a dirt oval. Fast but need more speed. Have a new 3S battery and considering running in in this 410.3. What gearing set should i use?

I am set up with a Tekin 4300 4 pole and have a 2S battery, 44 spur and 17 pinion. Running on a dirt oval. Fast but need more speed. Have a new 3S battery and considering running in in this 410.3. What gearing set should i use?

That's a tough question. Depends mainly on temps. Do you know jow hot it gets now?

How do like my "jow?"

"How..."
I completed 3 4 minute runs with the 3S battery fully charged. The data as follows:
#1 run- ambient temp-67F after 4 minutes heat gun temp-101F Tekin recorded 115F, ESC 142F
#2 run-motor 110F @ start after 4 minutes 136F heat gun, Tekin 143F, ESC 159F
#3 run-motor 113F@ start after 4 minutes 133F heat gun, Tekin 135F, ESC 146F.

The spur is 44T and pinion is 16T. Peak rpm reported by Tekin R8X ECS was 28594 rpm, this calculates to 49.8 mph.

Used 2942 ma from the battery witch calculates to an average current for the three runs as 14.71 amps.

Don't let it get any hotter than now. You might take off a tooth or two on the pinion to be safe, or retard the timing a little.

Retarding the timing will usually reduce the temperature, but will always comprise your power a bit.

Taking a tooth off the pinion will make it feel snappier but lose a little top speed. But will almost always reduce temps for sure.

Leaving it like it is, keep a close eye on things. And remember an increase in tire size, increase in traction such as a session on carpet vs loose dirt, can send your temps into the red.

Don't let it get any hotter than now. You might take off a tooth or two on the pinion to be safe, or retard the timing a little.

Retarding the timing will usually reduce the temperature, but will always comprise your power a bit.

Taking a tooth off the pinion will make it feel snappier but lose a little top speed. But will almost always reduce temps for sure.

Leaving it like it is, keep a close eye on things. And remember an increase in tire size, increase in traction such as a session on carpet vs loose dirt, can send your temps into the red.
Thanks for your input. Have fun racing this year.

Gene

Recent Popular Liked

Back