• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Gear up or 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekno_craze

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Been running my mt410 for a couple days now, since we’ve had such nasty weather in Colorado these past days, I’ve waited for some decent weather to stretch out the MT’s legs a little. Anyway, I love how it drives with the max 8 combo so far! The truck is an absolute blast! Only small issue I’m having is the truck is extremely torqy and suffered a hair at the top end. Doesn’t seem to have enough wheels speed to do good air corrections or flips. I’m probably going to turn the punch down a little, but I’m thinking of either gearing up or going to 6s. I’d really prefer to stay on 4s being that I love how it drives thus far and don’t want to risk having unwanted issues “more power more problems”. I just want a little more top end speed and less low end. I believe I have a pretty conservative 14t with the stock tooth spur on it at the moment, I was thinking 16t or 18t? Just want to hear your guys opinions!
9D71E109-5EE8-4791-AB39-FA1F64B05A9F.jpeg

Hello everyone! Been running my mt410 for a couple days now, since we’ve had such nasty weather in Colorado these past days, I’ve waited for some decent weather to stretch out the MT’s legs a little. Anyway, I love how it drives with the max 8 combo so far! The truck is an absolute blast! Only small issue I’m having is the truck is extremely torqy and suffered a hair at the top end. Doesn’t seem to have enough wheels speed to do good air corrections or flips. I’m probably going to turn the punch down a little, but I’m thinking of either gearing up or going to 6s. I’d really prefer to stay on 4s being that I love how it drives thus far and don’t want to risk having unwanted issues “more power more problems”. I just want a little more top end speed and less low end. I believe I have a pretty conservative 14t with the stock tooth spur on it at the moment, I was thinking 16t or 18t? Just want to hear your guys opinions!View attachment 6262
16t and 4s I feel is a fun but safe place for me

16t and 4s I feel is a fun but safe place for me
Heck yeah man! I’ll give that a shot! Does it have good top end uhmf? Temps stay pretty mellow?

Heck yeah man! I’ll give that a shot! Does it have good top end uhmf? Temps stay pretty mellow?
Temps stay in a happy place

As far as top end I play in a 50yard or so area so I am never wide open for long but I am still able to control and steer it without the rig going end over end

I also don’t like to run large tires I don’t like the way they make the rig handle and small tires I like the quick wheel spee

as far as “uhmf” goes this will have a lot to do with your terrain Concret, grass, and dirt all are very different

I never run 6s anymore the temps get to high for most of my set ups. I always get a little punch happy with the throttle and it ends up with broken parts. And most of all it’s just hard to control unless you have a large open area

Hay pinions are cheep and 6s batts are not so it’s a quick and cheep test

I would definitely try a 16t. That motor has enough power that you will pick up speed without noticing much of a loss of torque. Check temps after running and you might be able to go even higher.

Maverick gave great advice. 6s is wild but everything runs hot. Big tires help the truck rotate in the air but they don’t drive as well and are much harder on the drivetrain. There are always compromises, you just have to decide which benefits are worth it to you.

Temps stay in a happy place

As far as top end I play in a 50yard or so area so I am never wide open for long but I am still able to control and steer it without the rig going end over end

I also don’t like to run large tires I don’t like the way they make the rig handle and small tires I like the quick wheel spee

as far as “uhmf” goes this will have a lot to do with your terrain Concret, grass, and dirt all are very different

I never run 6s anymore the temps get to high for most of my set ups. I always get a little punch happy with the throttle and it ends up with broken parts. And most of all it’s just hard to control unless you have a large open area

Hay pinions are cheep and 6s batts are not so it’s a quick and cheep test
Appreciate the response! I used to be all about 6s, but I found I’m able to enjoy my run times so much more on 4s without having to worry about staying calm on the throttle or burning anything up. I’m gonna give the 16t a shot today and see how she runs!

I'm running an 18 tooth pinion on 4s and it seems to be a great balance of low end grunt and high speed.

Though it does get the motor a little toasty, so I got a heatsink/fan to keep it cool.

am running a 14T with the castle creation mamba monster x and 1515 motor. Started at 16, overheated, went down to 15T, overheated, added a castle creation fan and went down to 14T and that seemed to be ok as far as motor heat, I got the motor temp cut off at 150. Haven't tried going back to 15T, maybe I will for more top end but am fine bashing with a 14T. oh yeah, I got the dboots back flips and they do they do ;) and am in Los Angeles weather.

am running a 14T with the castle creation mamba monster x and 1515 motor. Started at 16, overheated, went down to 15T, overheated, added a castle creation fan and went down to 14T and that seemed to be ok as far as motor heat, I got the motor temp cut off at 150. Haven't tried going back to 15T, maybe I will for more top end but am fine bashing with a 14T. oh yeah, I got the dboots back flips and they do they do ;) and am in Los Angeles weather.
I’m running 18t on the same motor, one small fan ziptied to motor, backflips LP and no problem in LA weather.

Did you check motor bearings? They could be shot and creating extra heat.

Do you run in dirt of grass (creates a lot of resistance).

Sometimes under-gearing a motor can also make it overheat. What will happen is that the motor will constantly be at max RPM which will heat it up. If your motor is super hot and your esc is cool good chance you're under-geared.

For what it's worth I was running 3s and perfectly happy until my esc took a dump, I went for a 2200kv max 8. I ran 6s and experimented with various gearing. It was blistering fast and I eventually blew the center diff. The pins dug into the plastic diff case, I ordered a steel case and am planning on going back to 3s until I get some 4s batteries.

For what it's worth I was running 3s and perfectly happy until my esc took a dump, I went for a 2200kv max 8. I ran 6s and experimented with various gearing. It was blistering fast and I eventually blew the center diff. The pins dug into the plastic diff case, I ordered a steel case and am planning on going back to 3s until I get some 4s batteries.
I’ve been doing the max 8 combo with a 16t pinion and 4. 100% happy with the setup

I'm kinda the opposite. Known as the springmeister as this truck is, I don't do a lot of huge jumps or flips. I enjoy the torque an punch without the blistering top-end pace. I, too, am running the Max8 combo with the 2200kv on a 15T with stock spur on 4s, an I enjoy the truck just as is. In fact, I tend to experiment more with oils in the diffs to keep the front end down; indeed, to try to bias it more towards front-wheel drive than rear as much as possible, to get it to dig in without wheelies. Weird, I know, since this truck is ALL about wheelies, jumps, flips, ect, but I still love that it's nigh-indestructible an versatile.

Recent Popular Liked

Back