• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

ET D-48

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

Reaction score
Had the Tekno DB-48 ( Now ET D 48 ) out on our gravel track this weekend for a few laps. We had finished racing a few other machines already, so the track was getting a little blown out and nasty. I parked the Nomad DB-48 after racing the UDR for six heats ( slapped that guy around ) and had a good feel for the line. The Nomad is running Motorworx wheels and the same tires as I have mounted on the Tekno.

Now the Nomad is my baby, and while only running the factory Reedy electronics, it just flies around the track. I'm running an 18 tooth pinion and SMC graphine 4s batteries. Flat out I can actually pull away from the 6s UDR. Just a reference point.

After a few slow laps in the Tekno, the UDR rolled back out on the track to chase me. This is a big, fast track with lots of sharp, broken rock, and layers of fine gravel and dust.

The Tekno is running a 17 tooth pinion on the Tekin Pro 4 DH and SMC 3s graphine batteries. I installed a leadfinger ET body and made some rockguards for behind the front tires to keep some rock out from the servo and steering, and well as the ESC. One piece of velcro on the sides for the body.

With both on the starting line, Greg shouted go and I took off. The ET D 48 had absurd acceleration, easily lifting the front of the truck as I pulled away. That UDR never saw the Tekno again. I was stunned as to the absolute pure speed and handling the Tekno could deliver. While the Nomad is a fast and burly buggy, chopping through the terrain like a buzz saw, the Tekno felt precise like a knife. The first racing lap had me correcting the loose lines I have picked for the Nomad; the Tekno could basically stop on a dime and pick it up.

At full speed I could pull within a few inches of the cones, all while the rock and gravel spewed out from the tires. It wasn't even close between the UDR and the Tekno, until I was brought to a stop with a small rock lodged inbetween the spur gear. It completely locked the drivetrain. Because there is no clearance hole underneath the spur gear to drain rocks away, I had to loosen the differential housing to clear the rocks. No big deal, back on the track.

Heat # 2 and more of the same. I dropped the UDR within a few turns and I was just ripping the corners until again, drivetrain locked up. This time a large rock got underneath the center diff and blunted part of the teeth and wrecked the housing. Back in the pit, I cleared the rocks and went back out. I already knew I would be buying a new spur gear and housing, so why not race more.

Heat #3, same thing. Rocks jamming the system. I knew this would be a problem, but I'm now stuck. In terms of pure performance, the Tekno ET D 48 is not going to be easy to beat. I can clearly feel the racing background in the design and how it moves along the track. It soaks up bumps and chatter with easy that I've never seen before. Explosive acceleration, and even with such a wide stance and funky scrub, it handles crazy good. I want to bump up the rear diff oil to help bring the rear around, but other than that I just need more track time.

Problem: I need to keep rocks out of the machine. I will order a Dusty Cover this week, but we are in the South West, so heat is a never ending issues. We keep our heats to 3 or 4 laps, and bring them into the pits to cool. It's just too hot to run more laps in a row. I'm open to any ideas on this. The ET body really helps cut down on the rocks compared to the buggy body, but I need to do better.

Question: Has anyone machined a clearance hole n the chassis underneath the spur gear to shake loose small rocks?

If I can get the debris issue under control, then I have a winner. If not, it gets sold. This is the surface I run on 90% of the time. Here are some photos.

DT-48 Gravel Track 1.jpg
DT-48 Gravel Track 2.jpg
DT-48 Gravel Track 3.jpg

Question: Has anyone machined a clearance hole n the chassis underneath the spur gear to shake loose small rocks?

The kit was designed for a racer, no reason why you can't make modifications for a basher.

Super simple with a dremel, I used masking tape and a marker, was done in minutes to move the clearance hole on my GT8LE so that I could reverse the layout of the motor:

21149342959_6ce1c1a317_c.jpg

Stock setup with motor forward:

18389951498_32e2185653_c.jpg

Flipped the motor around with the new slot cut in the chassis:

21349684781_59b1fdd9ba_c.jpg

24829634066_648d94167a_c.jpg

Awesome. I will get it on our big milling machine in the shop and knock one into the chassis. I think that would handle some of the smaller rocks nicely, and maybe the Dusty bag will keep the bigger rocks out.

I think the ET body is the way to go for this, and while the buggy body looks cooler, the ET body helps keep so much debris out that it's the way to go for me.

Will update once the chassis is modified and I get new center diff.

s

Reactions: VRC
I am also needing a dust cover for my
Eb48.4/sct conversation project

let me know what u end up getting and she does

Reactions: VRC

Recent Popular Liked

Back