• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Differential Ring Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macovial

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
Driving Style
Basher
Hey - I am rebuilding my differentials on my MT48 and ET48.3. The MT differential ring gears *TKR540* has some teeth 1/2 chipped, I guess from running the throttle when the MT hit the front end on the ground from a jump while 2 bottom screws were missing from the shock mount to the bulkhead, causing flex. It shattered the spider gears inside the differential too. My question is should I replace the part or keep using it? See pix #1.

Pix #2 - That's off the ET 48.3 that I acquired. You can see the gears worn down on the inside part of the teeth all the way around. I circled the obvious.

I'm still new to Tekno and wonder at what point does someone decide that it is time to replace that part. It's expensive. lol

TKR5401.jpg
TKR5402.jpg

Last edited:
I would swing towards replacing both of them. Keeping a worn out part is a liability especially in the driveline (which is one of the most costly part of your trucks).

Note that with properly shimmed gears, it takes years before you get that type of wear.

Send the parts back to Tekno and get 50% warranty discount. It is their way of helping you out financially.
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Do you mean MT410? I don't believe TEKNO makes an MT48, at least not yet

Here's how to set the backlash on the diffs:

Keep in mind if you need more than 2 shims, then it might be time to replace the gear box as is may be worn out.

I would swing towards replacing both of them. Keeping a worn out part is a liability especially in the driveline (which is one of the most costly part of your trucks).

Note that with properly shimmed gears, it takes years before you get that type of wear.

Send the parts back to Tekno and get 50% warranty discount. It is their way of helping you out financially.
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/
Good advice. I'll just bite the bullet and order new replacements through Tekno. Cheaper in the long run.
Do you mean MT410? I don't believe TEKNO makes an MT48, at least not yet

Here's how to set the backlash on the diffs:

Keep in mind if you need more than 2 shims, then it might be time to replace the gear box as is may be worn out.
The "MT48.3" is the MT410 converted using the m2c extended wide truggy ET48.3 chassis. Truggy Chassis Thanks for the video and good to know about the shims. I'm still learning and getting faster at fixing the differential gears.

Recent Popular Liked

Back