• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

1st RC / 1st kit…any advise welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graye2

Reaction score
So I’m a father of 4 girls and one of them wants to build an RC car and is asking for this for Christmas. I don’t get a lot of oppty’s to spend time with my daughters so this is something I think can be a lot of fun for both of us…she may be my future engineer out of the 4 and I want to encourage her desire to learn.

I also don’t want to have to do too much test and tune and have her get discouraged early…I know things will break and that’s part of the fun of it but would at least like to put a “system” that’s works together from the start.

I know with the MT410 kit I also need the following:

• 2 channel radio/transmitter
  • Monster truck body and paint (or equivalent size body) (I plan to buy the Jeep JK body so we can match ours…I like to play too)
  • 1/8th scale ESC and motor system
  • High torque steering servo (at least 350 oz/in)
  • 4s (4 cell, 14.8v) LiPo battery (at least 5000mAh)
  • 1/8th scale Monster Truck tires, wheels & CA glue (or premounts)
  • MOD1 Pinion 15 tooth – 25 tooth (TKR4175 – TKR4185)
  • Any necessary upgrades?
Given I’m new and there is a ton of information on this site any recommendations on he above? Trying to be ~$1k when finished. (I’m sure all 4 will get enjoyment out of the finished build and hopefully a few more “pitch in”)

Any help is much appreciated in advance!

Thank you - Eric

Only upgrade I’d suggest - Tekno Aluminum Servo Horn.

I’d suggest researching Castle MMX/2200 or HW EZRun Max8/2200. There are other options out there and you will get other suggestions as well!

I’d suggest researching Protek 370TBL, NitroPro RG600, Savox 2290 or 1270… So many options out there. I’m a Protek and NitroPro fan!

I’d suggest researching Arrma BackFlip LP 4S

Last edited:
The above is 100% correct. Get the 370TBL from AMain TODAY with code SPTK21. You’ll never get a better deal. The Backflip LP 4s are great and a great value.

I run the Futaba 3PV. It’s one step up from their cheapest, and I’m very happy with it. It has all the adjustments you need and has good performance.

The Hobbywing Direct site is also offering an incredible deal on the Max 8/2200kv combo. I’d get that today, too. I’d probably get a 17t pinion gear from Tekno to go with it.

Not at all trying to discourage you but with you being new to RC and not knowing how old your kids are I would suggest starting out more basic with a RTR of some sort. To some extent you're wanting to start out by jumping off into the deep end. This would be an expensive first jump to possibly find they lose interest in a couple months. There's a lot to learn before jumping into a more involved kit like you're looking at. Just driving and having throttle and steering control, battery care and maintenance, tools, wrenching and maintenance on the vehicle itself. If you were to rate an RC by a suggested experience level from 1 being the least experience to 5 being for the most experienced, you're at level 1 looking at a level 4 rig. I'm not saying you can't learn with this truck but maybe consider something more basic to start out.

Not at all trying to discourage you but with you being new to RC and not knowing how old your kids are I would suggest starting out more basic with a RTR of some sort. To some extent you're wanting to start out by jumping off into the deep end. This would be an expensive first jump to possibly find they lose interest in a couple months. There's a lot to learn before jumping into a more involved kit like you're looking at. Just driving and having throttle and steering control, battery care and maintenance, tools, wrenching and maintenance on the vehicle itself. If you were to rate an RC by a suggested experience level from 1 being the least experience to 5 being for the most experienced, you're at level 1 looking at a level 4 rig. I'm not saying you can't learn with this truck but maybe consider something more basic to start out.
This is an excellent point and worthy of consideration. Let me offer two counterpoints, though:
  • I absolutely love the way this vehicle drives, but hands down the most enjoyable part of owning it is building, tinkering, and tuning it. He'd mentioned one of his daughters is a future-engineer-type, and I think she'd get a lot out of the process. You can get some tinkering/tuning/part replacement experience with an RTR, but nothing can replace the amount of learning that happens when you put the vehicle together from a kit.
  • Tekno is top-tier in terms of their build manuals and how well their parts go together. Going with a lesser kit might increase the assembly frustration and decrease the satisfaction. The MT410 was my first kit, and my second RC after having a Wltoys 124019. It was an excellent experience.

Yes, the kits are nice, I have 4 of them. I got the SCT just because I had the itch to build something. Just trying to be the voice of reason, my wife is the impulsive one and I often have to bring it back down to earth and sprinkle some reality on it. Starting from scratch in the hobby with the cost of a MT410 you could buy 2 RTR's so more than one family member could play at a time. Ever been at a track by yourself and had someone show up you could chase or be chased? More that 1 is more fun. Keep in mind he's asking for his kids but hopefully will join in. You could put a kid in an empty parking lot and somehow they'll find a stationary solid object to run into at full trigger. By all means if the budget is not an issue go for it!! I would start with more than one battery and add a charger to the list. A decent set of hex and nut drivers will be needed if you don't already have them. Maybe watch some build videos to see what you're getting into if you haven't already.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the advice. I know this likely isn’t a beginner build but the build is more interesting to me and my daughter asking to do it then the driving. I really want her to experience what’s it’s like to build something from the ground up and know you put it together and how it works. I’ve always been into cars and motorcycles and always did the work myself…it was almost as satisfying as driving/riding. I’m sure we will hit some bumps along the way but I’m hoping that’s all part of the experience.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the advice. I know this likely isn’t a beginner build but the build is more interesting to me and my daughter asking to do it then the driving. I really want her to experience what’s it’s like to build something from the ground up and know you put it together and how it works. I’ve always been into cars and motorcycles and always did the work myself…it was almost as satisfying as driving/riding. I’m sure we will hit some bumps along the way but I’m hoping that’s all part of the experience.

If you hit a bump ask away! My best memories as a kid was building my first kit a Futaba FX10!

Just get a good set of tools! I’d look at MIP for the hex drivers. Depending on budget I’d also look at the Tekno Shock Pliers and Wheel Wrench! Makes life easy building the turnbuckles and shocks!

Also one heads up if you go with a Castle setup you will need to Solder a connector to the ESC. They use 10g wires so account for that as well with Soldering Iron/Station. HW comes with a XT90 already to go!

Thanks again for all the support. I’ve read through the recommendations and wanted to ask the groups opinion on Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8s 1520/1650.

I’ve read a lot about the Max8 but we live in GA and it will be ran in the heat a lot. I also anticipate little hands wanting to run it hard and I am concerned about all the overheating comments and would prefer not to have to add fans.

I also understand I’ll need the wide body chassis but I don’t consider that a bad thing again given it will likely be run hard and anything that adds structural strength would be good.

Any reason not to go this route or is the Max8 a better option to keep the stock chassis?

Thank you!

It’s a nice setup. I’ve even considered it during my build but went went with the 1515-2200. I personally haven’t ran with any issues of overheating but I run a fan on my 1515-2200kv with it at 17t.

With the 1650 you will need to relocate the esc. I think you could get away using the stock chassis by getting some m2c bracing and use the optional esc plate to mount it up. So the go big go home kit and I’d also add the center brace at that point. Things still maybe a little tight. MMM also has a usable mount similar concept. Other option yes is the game changer chassis. Cost definitely will go up with these options as does weight.

Also I’m assuming that you are planning on still running 4S if so the 1650kv on 4S will be a slower than a 2200kv on 4S. You can play with the pinion to adjust for that but I think it would still clock in just a tad slower. 6s would definitely be the sweet spot with that 1650kv motor and would make the car insane. At that point better to also upgrade to steel diff carriers.

Another option is to extend the MT410 with the m2c game changer extended chassis and turn it to a monster truggy with that 1650kv setup. May need a few more parts but is an option.

You got a lot of options to choose from. I’d suggest doing the research and choosing what will be a best fit for your needs.

Last edited:
Its definitely a great build and something you and her will enjoy best of luck..

Try looking at 2200kv with castle combo very good for 4s and 6s.

On 4s I run 17t pinion thing Flys and good Temps.

A must have upgrade out the box is metal servo horn I usually go with m2c brand but have heard tekno brand would work to.

Hope the both of you enjoy the tekno mt410 is a very good truck.

Look through the tools you will need, the thing I never had and couldn’t find locally was the 4mm reamer (or #19 drill bit). I had to order it online.
Here is the build manual for the MT410, check it out if you haven’t yet.

https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MT410instructions.pdf

I think this build would be amazing as a first build, there is very little frustration putting it together. I love the building part more than the driving, lol. I am always amazed at how much goes into designing and creating these things. Unfortunately you won’t be replacing parts on the Tekno as often as other types of rc’s as these are solid and just don’t break that much. If your daughter gets bitten by the bug and wants to build more, look at some axial builds like their monster truck, they were pretty satisfying. I’ve just built my first drift car (mst), and that was a nice build too. I hope you and your daughter have lots of fun building (and breaking) your RCs.

Something I just found out, if the motor and ESC are too tight of a squeeze to get in, you can get an ESC mounting plate that goes next to the batteries. I have a castle monster mamba X with 2200kv motor, and it only just fits in there with the sensor wire. Also, I only run on 4S with a 18t pinion and have had no need or desire to go to 6S. 4S does everything I need, wheelies, jumps, speed runs (for the dogs) and backflips as well as flipping back onto the wheels when I crash.

You seem like you've done your home work so I'll provide just one input which I think is essential. I started my mt410 with the mamba X with 2200kv motor and btw am in Los Angeles. Overheat in the summer all the time got about 20 minutes of run time and that's motor overheated. After many attempts to cool it with fans I gave up, it seem clear to me that running the MT410 hard (which I do) required a larger motor. After reading many more posts I followed someone else's success and installed a mamba monster x 8s with a 1520- 1650Kv motor. Needed to get a bracket from mitch at M2C racing to mount the ESC on top of the center differential. Should of done that from the start, I can now run with any ambient temperature and no overheats. My 2 cents worth, good luck with the build, you will love it but you are jumping into the deep side of the pool. I didn't initially but wish I had. GOOD LUCK ! ! !

^I respectfully disagree. This kit has one of the most comprehensive and clear manuals. Not to mention, this community is incredibly supportive and if you take it slow and ask for help, it will be provided immediately. If your daughter wants to take this kit on and you are cognizant of the varying degrees of rotational torque needed to not strip out the more delicate plastic parts, It should be a perfect team project. Right on!

Recent Popular Liked

Back