• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

This Bump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

Reaction score
This bump sent many o' RC machines on a cartwheel festival during the Saturday race. It's a hidden bump in a nasty loose lefty turn that you hit visually straight on from the elevated side, so you can't actually see the bump. I plowed into this at full speed, trying to sucker another driver close behind to try and close the distance and look to pass.

Well, as you all know my Nomad is my baby, but this was nutty. The Tekno just ate it up like a snack, stuck the landing and dug in deep on the corner, leaving the circus behind. I bet these things fly on a proper track.

DT-48 Gravel Track 4.jpg
DT-48 Gravel Track 5.jpg

s

So does the ET fall into the same class as the nomad?

also do u have any pics of the whole track/course or just something to give me an idea of what u are putting these rigs threw

I'm working on the video edits from a few laps, and I have it posted on my IGTV. Each week we set up the track different, so I think the videos do the best job. Once I have the better edits done, I will post them on my youtube channel and post a link.

As far as classes go, for us out here yes. All buggies drop into one class, all SCT into another. We only have a few large scale desert trucks, but that should change in the next few months. For now the trucks run with the buggies. I think there are a few Losi U4's on their way to drivers out here.

These tracks are super rough in some sections, and SCT is really hard to drive on them. They get bounced all over and the rocks are kicking their butts.

I think in U4 they would be in the same class, and I can't give my final verdict as to which is faster for me. I don't have enough time driving the Tekno like I do the Nomad, so it's not fair to compare them. I still need to get the Tekno "desert tough" before I can really push it. It's just so hot here now that the idea of putting a dusty cover over the internal is not ideal. I don't think we have had a day in the past month under 100 degrees, and plenty over 110 degrees. When it's 9 am and 95 degrees, cooling is a real problem.

The Tekno feels like it has much more untapped potential, but the loose rocks really jam up the internals bad. That has to get solved first. Then some ventilation paths through the body is next. I like the exit air flow out the back for the Leadfinger body; it's just a matter of getting the feeding flow correct. If you end up behind a car, you are eating a face full of rocks and dust, so it can't just be a front scoop. That UDR I chase is fast, and if I miss a line I need to play catch-up, and that's usually a face full of dirt until I can pass.

Our heats are no more than 4 laps, with cooling fans in between.

Gravel Track 44.jpg

Mav,

Here is a short clip when we tried to do a rear-view camera setting one day. It didn't work out in that the UDR is very loose in the rear, so the camera is all over the place in terms of it's field of view, and quite frankly it kicks up a lot of chunk, so I try to slip by it as fast as I can.

As you can see, these are not little pebbles flying out. Tight drivetrains make it about 2 laps before something is jammed.

s

Last edited:
Thanks stev

just wanted to get an idea what u all were doing out therein the desert

you have had lots of different posts out builds and racing lately Looks like some good stuff

Thanks Mav,

At the risk of sounding like a fruit cake, we do not race in the actual desert per say, but on the edges where there is construction, dirt roads, or in the sand dunes north of town. The desert is a fragile environment with a delicate balance of resources for the wildlife present. This is aside from the parks and soccer fields we run on.

Tearing through undisturbed terrain is frowned upon, and the goal should always be to never leave a trace of you being there. In the desert, that is tricky. With so little rain fall and moisture, tire tracks can last years before they naturally erode away, so ripping RC cars around for a few hours will leave deep scars in the soil for many years.

There are other places where it's more rock than soil, and we drive those. There are also some spectacular rock formations that are awesome for crawlers. With crawlers, if you don't just spin tires to rip up climbs, your areas to drive are endless. Here are a few images from crawling. Sorry it's off topic.
USD Sticky 129.jpg

RR 11.jpg
USD Sticky 41.jpg

Last edited:
That is
Thanks Mav,

At the risk of sounding like a fruit cake, we actually do not race in the actual desert per say, but on the edges where there is construction, dirt roads, or in the sand dunes north of town. The desert is actually a fragile environment with a delicate balance of resources for the wildlife present. This is aside from the parks and soccer fields we run on.

Tearing through undisturbed terrain is frowned upon, and the goal should always be to never leave a trace of you being there. In the desert, that is tricky. With so little rain fall and moisture, tire tracks can last years before they naturally erode away, so ripping RC cars around for a few hours will leave deep scars in the soil for many years.

There are other places where it's more rock than soil, and we drive those. There are also some spectacular rock formations that are awesome for crawlers. With crawlers, if you don't just spin tires to rip up climbs, your areas to drive are endless. Here are a few images from crawling. Sorry it's off topic. View attachment 5384

View attachment 5382View attachment 5383
that’s great. I do like the motto when it comes to taking the r/c hobby out in nature to Leave it just like you found it

the reason i asked was we are about to buy some property to build a house on but it will be about five years until we build. So I was going to make a make shift 1/8 scale buggy track but more of a rough surface track. Not like our nicely groomed local track.

I think this would be good for my 4 young boys that are in the hobby.

here in the flat lands of the mid west Mother Nature fights back very fast.

Great pics though beautiful landscape

Mav,

Here is a short clip when we tried to do a rear-view camera setting one day. It didn't work out in that the UDR is very loose in the rear, so the camera is all over the place in terms of it's field of view, and quite frankly it kicks up a lot of chunk, so I try to slip by it as fast as I can.

As you can see, these are not little pebbles flying out. Tight drivetrains make it about 2 laps before something is jammed.

s
Man, I thought my track had pebbles.

It's these kinds of conditions which I think is breathing life into large scale truck racing. The UDR's and SBR's can run easy on this stuff and not need such a groomed surface. It's my hope to help grow that class and get more people into the desert racing scene. I actually think they like the chunky loose rocks; really puts on a show with these large trucks.

s

Recent Popular Liked

Back