• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

MT410 Light Mount Brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Lifetime Premium!
Supporting Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
After changing some things and eliminating the previous light mounts I was using, I needed to come up with a new solution.

I also bought a material (filament) for 3D printing that I have not used previously, one I thought might work well for this project.

I came up with a design on FreeCAD, and printed them out. Wasn't too challenging as the shapes are fairly basic. I used an ellipsoid mounted, more or less, on a post. I cut the ends off the ellipsoid, and had what I was looking for.

The first examples I printed seemed to be very strong. I'm using Matterhacker NylonX filament, which is nylon infused with carbon fiber. It's what might be called a sticky filament meaning it binds itself together very well. It's not sticky after the print process. That filament required me to increase the bed temperature to 75C and the hotend temperature to 250C. I also bought a new printer nozzle designed for abrasive filament like this.

Something I did not like, however, was how there were lines showing up in the part. They seemed to be related to the slicer, but that was just a guess.

20200224_152612_HDR.jpg

20200224_152627_HDR.jpg

20200224_152709_HDR.jpg

I printed those parts using Slic3r, and appropriately named slicing software that generates the G code for the printer. I then set up Cura for printing nylon, and cranked out some parts with it. They turned out substantially better. No more lines such as what the previous parts had. The part on the left has the support material generated to hold up the post during printing That's removed afterward.

20200224_163344_HDR.jpg

This part came needed a little more cleanup but was fine once that was done. Overall I really like the finish the NylonX provides. The print layers aren't as evident as you'd see on most filaments.

20200224_163547_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately the specialized nozzle I bought doesn't come in a .2mm size. I'd definitely buy one if it did. The carbon fiber in the filament might clog a nozzle that small. They don't exist so it's not an option anyway.

This filament is strong, very strong. I applied a fair amount of force to the above part trying to deform it, but it didn't crack or break. This material is a step toward being able to create more functional parts as opposed to just cosmetic ones.

The light mounts are attached to the shock towers in the body mount posts.

Front

20200225_055741_HDR.jpg

20200225_065402_HDR.jpg

Rear

20200225_060135_HDR.jpg

20200225_065435_HDR.jpg

I was thinking of adding something to seal the LEDs like perhaps a Permatex product like their gasket maker. Eventually I want to be able to run this in the wet. I need to set up the other electronics on it in a way that they can be removed, like the cameras (which aren't installed presently).

I still have one more light to mount in the front. I'm not sure I want to keep the one I have so I might look at what else is available.

Recent Popular Liked

Back