• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Motor heat problems Leopard 4092 1480kv 3.5D wind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically I was just browsing the Castle 1717 over on jennyRC site. They are a "chop shop" and have them for $119.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/tr...ster-extreme-1717-big-block-3387-traxxas-6407

That is the newer version that isn't made by Castle any more. The old castle motor is discontinued and hard to find nowadays... There is still available the green can chinese knockoff on ebay . i can't say if the new one at jennyRC (with the exposed shaft end and says "Traxxas" instead of "Castle" on it) is any better or worse, never tried it.

I didnt know there was a difference. My guess is the Traxxas one would be better than the knock-off version though. I am interested on how these perform and would love to see some good detailed pics on how it fits when installed.

I purchased one of the Traxxas version from the X0-1 cars. Hope I can run this on 6s without a fan, we shall see though.

Also dogged my Leopard last night, 100 degrees out. The screens were removed from the fans, and I installed Boca Ceramic bearings in the motor (pulled from my Castle 1515) and only seen temps of 176. Not too bad, this was with Backflip tures, not the HUGE Badlands mx38's.

Also, one of the Backflips exploded on me! I was zooming by and I seen something shoot up about 20 foot in the air, thought to myself "I wonder what I kicked up". I watched it come floating down, almost as if it was in slow motion and right about eye level I knew it was my tire foam LOL. I kept on running, tire still works, just has a 2 inch exploded out rip in it now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cool to hear. Which bearings did you go with? The yellow abec 5 or orange abec 7? I wanted to give the bocas a try in my tekin to see if temps would drop. Might go with the lower cost TRBs.
I've had a couple rtr tires blow out too. They are lighter but at the cost of durability it seems. Never killed a proline but the penalty is weight.

Last edited:
Cool to hear. Which bearings did you go with? The yellow abec 5 or orange abec 7? I wanted to give the vocals a try in my tekin to see if temps would drop. I've had a couple rtr tires blow out too. They are lighter but at the cost of durability it seems. Never killed a proline but the penalty is weight.

I got the Orange seals, they did seem to lower motor temps in the Castle 1515 (10 degrees -/+ 2 or 3). When spun in my hand they are much smoother than what I pulled out of both the Castle and the Leopard.

That was my first blow out, I've got a spare set that Arrma had sent as warranty replacement. One of them had come unglued when new and caused a small tear where it hit my body. My Prolines are coming unglued as well, though they are going to need to be strapped. They balloon like crazy Bandlands 38mx's

Ran again last yesterday evening, this time with the big Badlands mx38's. I removed the strapping on the tires, couldnt even get to half throttle the ballooning was so bad. Also motor got to 190 degrees with these things on, needless to say I have listed them for sale on a FB group.

@RC_User Thank you for the detailed build thread where you have outlined the installation of the 1717 motor. I needed the m4 screws to mount this beast, already ordered and should be here around the same time as my motor arrives :)

@RC_User

How did you cram that 1717 can into the motor mount? Mine is stuck and wont go into place :eek:

edit...got it, ithe can was hitting the cap the holds the servo in the wire guide.

Last edited:
@RC_User

How did you cram that 1717 can into the motor mount? Mine is stuck and wont go into place :eek:

edit...got it, ithe can was hitting the cap the holds the servo in the wire guide.

Yep I had to trim that down a hair.

Recent Popular Liked

Back