• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Hobbywing 4268 1900kv motor vs 4274 2250kv?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George G.

Reaction score
Which motor is best for racing? Does the 4274 run hot?

4268 is usually a buggy motor.

4274 is he right size for truggies, but i like 2000kv better. You can always gear it up, gearing down a high kv motor is harder.
I only see the 4274 in 2250kv from Hobbywing. Maybe look at another brand like Tekin?

I own a Tekin, SMC, castle, tenshock (6 pole), all sorts of no-names motors and Arrma bashing stuff. It is sad to say, but I can’t really tell the difference. My guess is you won’t either unless you own top notch batteries and the right ESC to go with it.

For half the price:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-4274-4-pole-brushless-sensored-motor-1-8-truggy-monster-truck.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surpass-Ho...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I don’t do sensored anymore, but I’m not competitive either. I’m just having fun and want my stuff to run when i need it. Reliability is my #1 priority.

I own a Tekin, SMC, castle, tenshock (6 pole), all sorts of no-names motors and Arrma bashing stuff. It is sad to say, but I can’t really tell the difference. My guess is you won’t either unless you own top notch batteries and the right ESC to go with it.

For half the price:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-4274-4-pole-brushless-sensored-motor-1-8-truggy-monster-truck.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surpass-Ho...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I don’t do sensored anymore, but I’m not competitive either. I’m just having fun and want my stuff to run when i need it. Reliability is my #1 priority.

What ESC do you muse with these motors?

I picked up the 2250kv from HW for racing this year with XR8 Pro esc. Probably will run it with a 14-15t pinion and probably will need to turn it down. Another option I looked at was the 2000kv or 2250kv Tekin with their RX8.

I stuck with HW cause that’s what’s also gonna be in my Buggy (1900kv)

Last edited:
I picked up the 2250kv from HW for racing this year with XR8 Pro esc. Probably will run it with a 14-15t pinion and probably will need to turn it down. Another option I looked at was the 2000kv or 2250kv Tekin with their RX8.

I stuck with HW cause that’s what’s also gonna be in my Buggy (1900kv)
Have you run it yet? Any temperature issues?

For half the price:

I definitely want reliability! I like the Tekin products and they do make a 2000kv truggy motor, but I've seen lots of posts about reliability issues with the esc. I could use the hobbywing esc and tekin motor, but that might be considered sacrilege, lol

What ESC do you muse with these motors?
I still have running:
  • Castle Mamba X (EB48 2.0)
  • Castle Mamba Monster X (MT410)
  • HW xr8 SCT (ET48.3 & EB48.4)
  • HW xr8 Plus (EB48 2.0)
  • HW quickrun 150A (old EB48.4 turned road basher)
  • BLX 185 (HW rebrand for Arrma) (custom SCT)
  • Tekin RX8 Gen 2 (or 3, don’t remember) (ET48.3)
I like the smaller combos, especially in a buggy. My fastest truck was an ET48.3 with the HW SCT (until I got the 2.0). Sometimes, less is more. Makes the truck easier to drive, with a better “feel” and that is enough to give you consistency and confidence.

Note: I do not use high performance batteries either, I use basic 4s batteries.

Could I run that 1700KV Hobbystar on a max 8 esc on 6s without issues? Ideally looking for something that wont overheat in the summer :)

Have you run it yet? Any temperature issues?

No. Our track is on winter break. Won’t start up for another month or so.

I chatted with some of the local racers at our track and they said 2250 can for the Truggy is fine for our track. If they said nah I would have probably got the Tekin 2000kv w RX8.

Maybe reach out to some of your local racers and ask what motor/esc setups are preferred.

I still have running:
  • Castle Mamba X (EB48 2.0)
  • Castle Mamba Monster X (MT410)
  • HW xr8 SCT (ET48.3 & EB48.4)
  • HW xr8 Plus (EB48 2.0)
  • HW quickrun 150A (old EB48.4 turned road basher)
  • BLX 185 (HW rebrand for Arrma) (custom SCT)
  • Tekin RX8 Gen 2 (or 3, don’t remember) (ET48.3)
I like the smaller combos, especially in a buggy. My fastest truck was an ET48.3 with the HW SCT (until I got the 2.0). Sometimes, less is more. Makes the truck easier to drive, with a better “feel” and that is enough to give you consistency and confidence.

Note: I do not use high performance batteries either, I use basic 4s batteries.

Thanks for sharing this. I have a Castle Monster X / 1515 2200KV motor combo in my ET48 and have the exact same combo for the EB48 that I’ll be building next.

I was also thinking about getting an MT410 (it’d be nice if they’d come up with a 2.0 version of it), so I may try one of the motors that you linked above. As for ESCs, do you have a preferred one? I’m thinking I’d stay with the Mamba since I’ve got a couple of them but if another one is better I’d try it. The only thing I don’t like about the Mamba is that the ESC wires are a little too short, and since they are “potted” (epoxied in place), I can’t change them so I have to extend the leads which I don’t like doing. Other than that they seem great, but I really don’t have any other points of reference.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. I have a Castle Monster X / 1515 2200KV motor combo in my ET48 and have the exact same combo for the EB48 that I’ll be building next.

I was also thinking about getting an MT410 (it’d be nice if they’d come up with a 2.0 version of it), so I may try one of the motors that you linked above. As for ESCs, do you have a preferred one? I’m thinking I’d stay with the Mamba since I’ve got a couple of them but if another one is better I’d try it. The only thing I don’t like about the Mamba is that the ESC wires are a little too short, and since they are “potted” (epoxied in place), I can’t change them so I have to extend the leads which I don’t like doing. Other than that they seem great, but I really don’t have any other points of reference.
Fact: Danny (Tekno's big chief) stated multiple times publicly that they had absolutely no interest in becoming a bashing rig business. They are in the racing business. He did a really nice podcast I reposted in this forum a few months ago, well worth listening to it.

Speculation: many think, the older ET48.3 / MT410 generation could stay for the long run as it has demonstrated robustness, has plenty of 3rd party parts support... I personally love the reversible arms and am reaching a level where my maintenance is minimal on those rigs. Love it.

While I really like how the new ET48 2.0 handles, there is no way it be noticeably better when fitted with an m2c chassis and larger wheels. It also needs to prove it's robustness compared to the previous generation. While the extended adjustability is great for racing, those are all complicated things that can harm reliability while bashing.

Back to your ESC question:
  • I would use your second Monster X combo in an MT410
  • get a smaller Mamba X or HW xr8 SCT with a buggy can (4068 or 4268) for the buggy.
Buggies have less rubber in contact with the dirt and over-powering them can quickly prove counter productive. The smaller can will prove easier to maneuver on the track.

Pro & Cons of Castle:
+ a switch that you can delete
+ waterproof (not sure this is very useful though)
+ stronger 8A bec (if I remember well)
- less "refined" although I find the smaller Mamba X not bad at all

Pro & Cons HW SCT:
+ proven racing ESC
+ 6A bec
= 4s only, not water proof
- requires a $29 program card
- reliant of HW switch to remain functional

Fact: Danny (Tekno's big chief) stated multiple times publicly that they had absolutely no interest in becoming a bashing rig business. They are in the racing business. He did a really nice podcast I reposted in this forum a few months ago, well worth listening to it.

Speculation: many think, the older ET48.3 / MT410 generation could stay for the long run as it has demonstrated robustness, has plenty of 3rd party parts support... I personally love the reversible arms and am reaching a level where my maintenance is minimal on those rigs. Love it.

While I really like how the new ET48 2.0 handles, there is no way it be noticeably better when fitted with an m2c chassis and larger wheels. It also needs to prove it's robustness compared to the previous generation. While the extended adjustability is great for racing, those are all complicated things that can harm reliability while bashing.

Back to your ESC question:
  • I would use your second Monster X combo in an MT410
  • get a smaller Mamba X or HW xr8 SCT with a buggy can (4068 or 4268) for the buggy.
Buggies have less rubber in contact with the dirt and over-powering them can quickly prove counter productive. The smaller can will prove easier to maneuver on the track.

Pro & Cons of Castle:
+ a switch that you can delete
+ waterproof (not sure this is very useful though)
+ stronger 8A bec (if I remember well)
- less "refined" although I find the smaller Mamba X not bad at all

Pro & Cons HW SCT:
+ proven racing ESC
+ 6A bec
= 4s only, not water proof
- requires a $29 program card
- reliant of HW switch to remain functional
Thanks as always for the detailed responses, this is very helpful.

In short, I think you just cost me an MT410! I'll place an order for one soon, then will get to selecting another motor/ESC arrangement for the EB.

So I went with the Tekin RX8 and the 2000kv truggy motor. I think it seems like the safe choice. Can't wait to hit the track!
I have them both xr8 pro and the xerun 4274 g2 2250 kv .I purchased the combo with the
Et48 2.0 kit . Needless to say my Xr8 pro had some issues and needed to be sent to hobbywing. At the time with Covid you could not get your hands on a tekin Rx8 think the motor was available. But to the point. I have the
Rx8 and T8 G3 4038 2000kv in the Truggy now. Tell you this much the can on the tekin motor is the same size as the Hobbywing and noticeable heavier as well as everything I mean it’s a Tekin motor lol.
Don’t listen to anything that you get told because it’s a very noticeable difference in top end and torque is lol well you can judge for yourself bro! Hands down you have nothing to regret.. On top of everything Tekin motor has a lifetime Guarantee when you do wear it down in the first place lol. You pay a small fee and Tekin sends you a new motor. Bin there done that and tekin goes without say about whatever Hobbywing repair costs and time to get back with me and ask for half the money I paid for the Esc and nothing was neglected on my end with it . To being a month old and never race it yet to I told them to keep it lol. 9 out of 10 racers would pick a tekin no doubt. But sponsors and yada yada I can tell you from the horse’s mouth bro you made a wise choice!!

I have had TEKIN most of my Rc life. But recent the pandemic scenario, pushed me to try HW. I have the newest HW speed controls, they are built very well and are easy to program with the OTR system which is Bluetooth. I know my EB48 2.0 I have a XR8 pro esc and 2200kv. In my ET40 2.0, I have the XR8 PRO and a TEKIN 2000KV G3 truggy edition. Overall the both systems are excellent for me. Perhaps I have not moved on completely from TEKIN, but the HW esc’s are fierce competition units.

Hy follow your comments very interested because am currently also looking for a suitable motor for my new MT410 am!
Come from an Arrma Kraton 6S EXB which I ran with a Hobbywing MAX6 combo with the EZRUN 1650KV and 20 pinion!
But back to the MT410, would like to try as ESC times a Sensorted controller or motor and have already bought me as ESC the Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus G2S (200Ampere and 6S capable)!
As a motor is with me currently the TPPower TP4060 sensor 6D 1650KV my favorite!
The alternative would be a Hobbywing Xerun 4274SD G3 2250kV!
It will be used übe others but no competition or special tracks!
What do you think of it?

I have an ET48 2.0 and went with the HW XR8 Pro combo with the G3 4268 2200kv motor geared with a stock spur and 14t pinion. I went with this motor ESC combination because of its weight which is about 70g lighter than the bigger 4274 2250kv motor and combined with a lighter XR8 it can be more than 100g lighter than other power setups.

I do only light bashing no real racing as there are no tracks where I reside and for the driving I do I am more than happy with the power and speed. With our tropical ambient heat of around 30C the motor doesn't get warmer than 78C.

Recent Popular Liked

Back