• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

ET48 2.0 - Castle Creations or Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo (4S basher)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, because I just ordered my first Tekno RC car, the ET48 2.0 Truggy.
Now I would also like to order an ESC and Motor and was looking into the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC with 1515-2200kv motor and into Hobbywing MAX8 G2 ESC with the 4278SD G2 2250kV motor, because both are "Waterproof".

The car will primarily be used for bashing and also for just driving/bashing on tracks on a 4S battery and maybe sometimes also on a 6S battery but that isn't a must have...
So which ESC/Motor Combo would you recommend. I have no experiance with those ESC's & Motors, because I was only driving RTR cars till now.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Last edited:
I'm biased towards Castle a little bit. The programing and data logging with the Castle link are A+. I think you would be happy with either brand though.

I had a MT410 that I converted to a ET48. I ran it with the hobbywing max8 2200kv combo on a 15t pinion and it ripped on 4s. I never felt the need to run 6s. I currently have a MT410 with a castle mmx 2200kv combo. They are both great. My only complaint with castle is that awkward on/off switch.

I had a MT410 that I converted to a ET48. I ran it with the hobbywing max8 2200kv combo on a 15t pinion and it ripped on 4s. I never felt the need to run 6s. I currently have a MT410 with a castle mmx 2200kv combo. They are both great. My only complaint with castle is that awkward on/off switch.
Best thing you can do is to delete the switch. Works perfectly well this way.

I heard that Castle is running hotter then Hobbywing.
And I really like te Hobbywing OTA Wifi module, so I'm leaning more towards Hobbywing.

Castle is running hotter then Hobbywing.

That sounds like something someone would say to try to prove their opinion to be valid. I'm not saying that's you. They're both going to get hot. How hot is going to depend on how YOU gear it and run it. I have both brands and there's no notable difference in temps with the motors or esc's.
I'd add the Hobbywinf wifi units are one of the reasons I'm biased toward Castle. These have been a fail for me and more complicated than it should be. I just use a program card any more if I need to change something.

With your Castle esc you get a coupon code to order the Castle Link for FREE and is a much nicer interface in my opinion.

Both have their quirks but I'm sure you'll be happy with the Max8

I have never used a Hobbywing product, but I have used the Castle Mamba X and one of their sensored motors. It's high quality stuff. The tuning software is awesome and very easy to use. I can't say enough good things about it!

Also, Tekno recommended that same combo (MMX + 1515 2200kv motor) for the ET48 to me, so it's a known good combination for that vehicle.

I will most likely go with Hobbywing, since i haven't had a any bad experience with HW on my drones and helicopters.
Though, I did once had a Castle Creations ESC on my helicopter and I wasn't very pleased, but that was ages ago.
So it will be the Hobbywing MAX8 G2 ESC with 4278SD G2 2250kV motor for me, unless someone really convinces me to go with the MMX + 1515 :)

In my bashers I use hobbywing. I’ve had no issues with them and the hobbywings are cheaper atleast the older generation are. Not sure about the gen 2. I have castle a sw4 in my crawler and it’s a great esc. Except the bec is weak!

Both Castle and HW are good systems. I've got both, but prefer HW.

Brand new here and so happy to have found this forum!
2023 I think your reading my mail!
I also have the ET 48 on order and in fact probably getting it today.
I first ordered the HW XR8 1900 KV and was advised on another forum that was more of a buggy motor. So then I ordered the Castle Monster X 2200 KV.
They both may be arriving today as well.
Maybe I’ll keep them both. I don’t know yet.
My only other experience is with my Typhon 6s and my just recently completed Kyosho Optima. Anyway….I am standing by absorbing more info!

Brand new here and so happy to have found this forum!
2023 I think your reading my mail!
I also have the ET 48 on order and in fact probably getting it today.
I first ordered the HW XR8 1900 KV and was advised on another forum that was more of a buggy motor. So then I ordered the Castle Monster X 2200 KV.
They both may be arriving today as well.
Maybe I’ll keep them both. I don’t know yet.
My only other experience is with my Typhon 6s and my just recently completed Kyosho Optima. Anyway….I am standing by absorbing more info!

Either combo will be fine. I would say the bigger can helps with the weight of the truggy but that is a lie. I have a xr8 combo in both my et48 (bigger can 2250kv) and an Arrma TLR Typhon (smaller can 1900kv). The smaller buggy weights over 2 lbs heavier than the Tekno with a battery ready to run. Adding a battery to the tlr makes the weight difference substantial. Neither has a problem with heat unless I’m asking way too much of them. Keep both combos and order an Eb2.1 once you fall in love with the ET.

Recent Popular Liked

Back