• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Center Driveshaft Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttb0ne

Reaction score
I've previously built an EB410, an now my newest MT410, an a quick question on the long center driveshaft:

I get about 5mm of play front to back on the shaft, meaning that when I push or pull it all the way forward, the pins on the shaft are JUST about to find their way outside the cup itself, an I was worried that any chassis flex will allow it to pop out of the cup. Is this tolerance acceptable? Has anyone had their main shaft pop out whilst bashing? I certainly haven't had this issue in my EB, as the tolerance is closer, but some peace of mind wouldn't hurt.

Never had that issue. The usual issue with flex is to apply pressure on that center drive and bend it. Hence all the aluminum chassis braces used by bashers.

Never had that issue. The usual issue with flex is to apply pressure on that center drive and bend it. Hence all the aluminum chassis braces used by bashers.
That's actually my concern, is that the chassis only needs to flex or bend from front to back about 1mm an I think the shaft will pop out of the center diff cup. For now I guess I'll just run it, an if it happens to grind a little, put a couple rubber o-rings on the ends until that fails, then upgrade to the Big Bone shaft an do the MC2 wide kit at that point, as I'd intended later down the line.

In most cases the chassis will be flexing inward not outward, so you shouldn't ever pop a center shaft. You'd really need to case a jump perfectly on the peak for the chassis to bend outward/downward.

Is there any chance of putting small orings into the drive cups to help take up some of that slack and keep the shaft more centered?

I’ve never had a problem with mine falling out but I have the m2c mega brace.

Is there any chance of putting small orings into the drive cups to help take up some of that slack and keep the shaft more centered?

I’ve never had a problem with mine falling out but I have the m2c mega brace.
You could do that. Normally I would say not to, so that when the chassis flexes there's space for the bone, but since you have the mega brace there's not a lot of flex happening.

You could do that. Normally I would say not to, so that when the chassis flexes there's space for the bone, but since you have the mega brace there's not a lot of flex happening.
I'm not new to placing O rings in the cups of a dogbone setup, but the play seems a bit too excessive. I want to close this thread that I've recently bashed the (#&%$ out of this truck, an no popped dog bone. I am just a little OCD on these kinds of things over a few instances when this actually happened, but happy to report it isn't an issue here, which is comforting. Thanks, all.

I'm not new to placing O rings in the cups of a dogbone setup, but the play seems a bit too excessive. I want to close this thread that I've recently bashed the (#&%$ out of this truck, an no popped dog bone. I am just a little OCD on these kinds of things over a few instances when this actually happened, but happy to report it isn't an issue here, which is comforting. Thanks, all.
I've bent my chassis upwards a couple of times and I haven't popped out the center dogbones. I haven't bent them either.

never bent center drive shaft, bent a couple of rear shock tower though.

Recent Popular Liked

Back