• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Broken Tooth On Gear Box Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Herron

Reaction score
Damn! Just setting up electronics on my new ET48.2. Suddenly realized I lost my front Dif. What the hell? Tore down enough to find the pinion gear to the diff has a couple broken teeth. I know I was jolting things pretty hard with my start up and was working on smoothing it out but was still surprised. Others have this experience? Had it tied down on a stand. Had the #4 Back flips on. Running f60/C500/r30 because that's what I had in my Typhon 6s and was ok with it. Thanks for any inpit

Brand new. Never left the bench. Didn't feel to me like it needed any shims although admitedly I'm not super experienced.

And just FYI I'm powering it with a Castle 1515- 2200 KV. That's not too extreme is it?

I’ll get a couple pics when I pull the gear box so I can get to the pinion.
I think this was nobody’s fault but mine.
Like the song.
I was trying to set the throttle up with the transmitter rather than wait for my Castle link and really inadvertently slammed it into Reverse from forward. That’s what I think anyway.
I’m pretty certain the set screw was tight plus it’s had thread lock on it for several days. No marathon building for me typically. Just a couple steps at a time.
Was holding off tearing it down more until I get the new gears.
Should probably give the rear a good inspection as well.
Appreciate the input.
I’ll get on with the painting

Well…Totally my screw up!
Set screw had backed out. No evidence of thread lock
Dumb ass move of the week!
That’s a lesson!

Glad you were able to determine the cause. I'm not afraid to admit I've had some face palm moments with maintenance and new assemblies. Stuff happens.

Glad you were able to determine the cause. I'm not afraid to admit I've had some face palm moments with maintenance and new assemblies. Stuff happens.
Bad stuff happens when you have a total brain fart! Oh well. All fixable and a good lesson

Attachments

• 7E23F52B-F109-4832-9CA8-2B55A8ADC64F.jpeg
    7E23F52B-F109-4832-9CA8-2B55A8ADC64F.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 83
Bad stuff happens when you have a total brain fart! Oh well. All fixable and a good lesson
I would bet on a faulty pinion from factory. Your motor is stock, you’re running 4s , right? Unless you mounted super heavy tires, this is still a surprising issue.
Well, that's a good size chunk of the gear that just seemed to have failed. Maybe a combination of circumstances that set things in motion.

Appreciate all the input. The set screw holding the pinion was loose and that combined with my very abrupt full power starts and stops on the bench while I trying to set things up was the cause I believe.
Anyway all put back together with new gears and using the castle link and following the set up directions I've had much better results. Imagine that!
Anyway took it out for an initial run and it's doing good other than I need to now solve the cogging I'm experiencing. I'm running the Castle 1515 2200kv motor with the Mamba Monster ESC. And a 15 tooth pinion and a 4s batt. Maybe try a 14 ?
Suggestions? Thanks!

And I'm using the wired link to my laptop. Any suggestions for those settings to correct the cogging

Oh yeah
#4 Backflips
Leadfinger Body

Attachments

• C926D9C3-1C0A-4066-9ADD-ED0D92992614.jpeg
    C926D9C3-1C0A-4066-9ADD-ED0D92992614.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 72
Appreciate all the input. The set screw holding the pinion was loose and that combined with my very abrupt full power starts and stops on the bench while I trying to set things up was the cause I believe.
Anyway all put back together with new gears and using the castle link and following the set up directions I've had much better results. Imagine that!
Anyway took it out for an initial run and it's doing good other than I need to now solve the cogging I'm experiencing. I'm running the Castle 1515 2200kv motor with the Mamba Monster ESC. And a 15 tooth pinion and a 4s batt. Maybe try a 14 ?
Suggestions? Thanks!
I run 18t on my MT410 with the exact same combo. Don’t run it hard non-stop though.

Got tired of failing sensor cables, so running it unsensored, but cogging has never been an issue.

What does the MT410 weigh in at? My ET48 is 10 1/2 pounds stock with the 4s battery installed.

It just occurred to me that maybe having 500k Center dif fluid could contribute to clogging? Hmm
I have a 14 tooth pinion I’ll try first

What does the MT410 weigh in at? My ET48 is 10 1/2 pounds stock with the 4s battery installed.

I think mine is around 7.5 pounds with the Mamba X and same motor

It just occurred to me that maybe having 500k Center dif fluid could contribute to clogging? Hmm
I have a 14 tooth pinion I’ll try first

If it's cogging it's going to be the motor and controller. Check that the sensor wire is plugged in correctly and completely. The motor side is more of a PITA than it should be IMO. You could also change it to sensorless in Link and see what it does. There's not really much point of a sensored motor on a rig like a MT410 but I've not had any issues with mine and I have 4 or five of them.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give that a try switching to sensorless and see how that affects it. So you reference the MT 410
The ET 48 and M410 are pretty similar I take it?

Recent Popular Liked

Back