• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Overkill rear gearbox big bearing upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overkill

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
I came up with this modification awhile ago, but haven't actually had a reason to use it now. I started using red Loctite on the pinion set screw and haven't had any part failures since.

Machined front side, uses 8x16x4 bearing.

Gearbox1.png

Machined rear side, uses 8x16x4 bearing.

Gearbox2.png

Gearbox3.png

Gearbox4.png

I used a 5x8x8 steel sleeve/bushing, 5x8x10 would be ideal but isn't available for some strange reason.

Gearbox5.png

Size comparison, stock bearing is 5x13x4.

Gearbox6.png

I was originally going to install this just like normal, but the steel sleeve OD was a hair too large to slide in the bearings by hand. So I pressed the bearings on the sleeve on each side, with a vice. Doing it this way now makes the whole assembly rock solid, the bearings can't move in the housing. It only takes just a few minutes to setup.

Gearbox7.png

This is an outstanding upgrade. IMO this area is the weakest part of my mt410. Hopefully some of these CNC shops are paying attention.

Blew out a inner bearing last time I ran, sure it wont be the last time either.

When do they go on sale @Overkill? ;):D
Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to do this, otherwise I would entertain the idea. I had a machinist cut it out for me.

This is an outstanding upgrade. IMO this area is the weakest part of my mt410. Hopefully some of these CNC shops are paying attention.
CNC machined gearboxes are $$$$$$$.

Blew out a inner bearing last time I ran, sure it wont be the last time either.
Has the set screw ever been loose?
Have you ever seen the outer bearing come out slightly from the gearbox?
Have you ever re-used the gearbox after any type of damage?
How old are the bearings?
Have the bearings ever been wet?

Has the set screw ever been loose?
Have you ever seen the outer bearing come out slightly from the gearbox?
Have you ever re-used the gearbox after any type of damage?
How old are the bearings?
Have the bearings ever been wet?

no to all expect bearings gotten wet. bearings are Avid Revolution and might have had 10 batteries on them. truggy took a hard standing double back flip with huge Badlands MX38's on it. I sold them things today, as cool as they looked they just were not practical for the ET. I'll keep my eye on what you have mentioned in hopes to.prevent future failure.

Recent Popular Liked

Back