• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Front Diff Possible issue, should i worry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louielc

Reaction score
So My first Tekno build, the manual and parts are awesome. i like it way better than the associated team kit car i did years ago. However, my front diff has me a little worried. I built it and it seemed to spin fine out of the gear case. THen i put it in and didnt need to shim to mesh, still spun fine. Now that the arms are built if i spin it, for 97 percent of the travel its super smooth. For 3 it catches for lack of a better way to describe it. Not even catches, just feels like maybe a high spot on a tooth, or something weird. If the 97% is 0 friction, the 3% is like a 2-3 out of 10. Is that something i should be worried about? or something that will smooth out with a few packs through when its finally built?

I had a very similar issue when building my ET48, almost exactly as you put it. Would spin super free than a few teeth didn't seem to mesh correctly or had machining tolerances go out. I ended up taking out shim to the point I didn't feel the issue anymore. I have been meaning to pull it back apart now that I have run it and see if the issue is still there if it is I am going to change gears.

Thanks for the reply iceman. I figured it out but not sure i can fix it without other parts. I took it apart again and everything was smooth, added the shim to test and everything still seemed fine until i screw in the dblock to hold the arms together. So i started really checking it, and the gearbox circle dosent line up perfectly. I mean by the smallest fraction, probably my fault, may have just started the top screws on a slight angle. But it seems like there is nothing i can do now to fix it, short of get a new gear box case. I wonder if yours looks the same.

Hopefully it will just smooth out and ill try it.

I had the same issue, i found when I pulled on the pinion a little it would sort it..

Took my diffs apart again, undid the grub screw and pushed my diff cup a little tighter down tightened it all back up and reassemble. It seems fine now.

I think the notch is the pinion touching the diff cup inside

Thanks Owen, I sent Tekno a email and they replied back that after a pack or 2 goes through it should smooth out. Since its not really sticking that much, im guessing its something they have seen before from the sound of it. I just went ahead and kept going with the build after they emailed me back. Any quick tips to get the diffs out after its built, or is it basically just pull it apart till it comes out?

Hi Mate, 10 days late.

I've not had internet access and been away from home.

How are you getting on ? Mines still a roller :( how does the diff feel now ?

As with getting them out I'm yet to find out, work stopped on that project for the time being while I sort my others out.

When I did take them out after having this problem like you had. I'm sure I just kept removing the obvious till I got to them.

Hey sorry for the late reply, it is totally smooth. I backed off the screws a little on the d block and after a few runs it's pretty smooth. No issues anymore

Recent Popular Liked

Back