• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

What happens to a motor when it overheats?

Thnkgodimwhite.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what happens to a motor when it overheats and and what damage will be done and to what part of the motor..I'm just trying to figure out if overheating would make one of the magnets break off the rotor..if it was something that I caused to happen or if it's just one of those things that happens to happen I guess..any info would be appreciated..thanks guys.

Nicochau

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
  3. MT410
Driving Style
Basher
Hi Kevin,

Extreme overheating and regular wear, both can cause the magnets of the rotor to break. I’ve had to change a rotor on a motor.

PrimaRC

Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
What were your bearings like in the motor? If they had started to fail your rotor may have hit the stator.

Any time a brushless motor gets over 170°f or 76°c it can start to degrade the rotor magnets, close to 212°f or 100°c it is at serious risk of permanent damage to the magnets and other components.