• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Waterproof motor & ESC for ET48.3 and Grass running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poe

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm a newbie and I've got my new ET48.3 up and running and love it! I used the old electronics (MXL-6s and 2200kV motor) from my ERevo Brushless Gen1 and I'm using a 15T pinion. I run 90% of the time in the backyard grass on a course that we setup. So the vehicle is running hard, non-stop until the battery dies. The first run, my Traxxas batteries got so hot that a wire unsoldered itself from the connector and the motor was extremely hot.

So, after reading a bunch of forum posts, I realized I needed a better battery and smaller pinion. I bought and installed a 13T pinion and a Reedy Zappers SG2 6400mAh battery using 5mm connectors straight to the Traxxas MXL-6s ESC. This helped. The battery was warm, but not to hot. Wires were OK. Motor was still pretty hot though (but not as much as last time). I will get a temp gun and measure it next time.

I'm realizing that I need to replace the ESC and Motor from the eRevo with something that better suited for the heavier ET48.3 and the grass surface I run in most of the time. On the FAQ section of Tekno's website, they list the Tekin RX8 Gen3 with a T8 motor (2000kv?). I almost bought that until I realized that it's not waterproof. Since I sometimes run in wet grass and about 1" of snow I need something waterproof.

I prefer a setup that favors reliability over performance and I'm willing to pay for a more expensive setup.

I run 4S and don't plan on running 6S because it seems like 6S will lead to a less reliable setup.

So the Tekin RX4 ESC and ROC412 (1800kv) motor caught my attention. But those components are always mentioned as "Rock Crawler" Electronics. I'm not doing "Rock Crawling" just backyard Grass Racing and Bashing.

Any advice? Will the RX4 and ROC412 be a good choice? I was thinking the 1800kv would have the torque I need for running in grass. Is that true?

Thanks!

Hi All. I'm a newbie and I've got my new ET48.3 up and running and love it! I used the old electronics (MXL-6s and 2200kV motor) from my ERevo Brushless Gen1 and I'm using a 15T pinion. I run 90% of the time in the backyard grass on a course that we setup. So the vehicle is running hard, non-stop until the battery dies. The first run, my Traxxas batteries got so hot that a wire unsoldered itself from the connector and the motor was extremely hot.

So, after reading a bunch of forum posts, I realized I needed a better battery and smaller pinion. I bought and installed a 13T pinion and a Reedy Zappers SG2 6400mAh battery using 5mm connectors straight to the Traxxas MXL-6s ESC. This helped. The battery was warm, but not to hot. Wires were OK. Motor was still pretty hot though (but not as much as last time). I will get a temp gun and measure it next time.

I'm realizing that I need to replace the ESC and Motor from the eRevo with something that better suited for the heavier ET48.3 and the grass surface I run in most of the time. On the FAQ section of Tekno's website, they list the Tekin RX8 Gen3 with a T8 motor (2000kv?). I almost bought that until I realized that it's not waterproof. Since I sometimes run in wet grass and about 1" of snow I need something waterproof.

I prefer a setup that favors reliability over performance and I'm willing to pay for a more expensive setup.

I run 4S and don't plan on running 6S because it seems like 6S will lead to a less reliable setup.

So the Tekin RX4 ESC and ROC412 (1800kv) motor caught my attention. But those components are always mentioned as "Rock Crawler" Electronics. I'm not doing "Rock Crawling" just backyard Grass Racing and Bashing.

Any advice? Will the RX4 and ROC412 be a good choice? I was thinking the 1800kv would have the torque I need for running in grass. Is that true?

Thanks!
I run a Hobbywing Max8 ESC which is waterproof along with a Hobbystar 4082 1600kv (not technically waterproof but few motors are due to their nature) the motor is excellent, it has a bit more torque than most 1/8 scale motors due to it's slightly longer can and lower kv. I run in grass nearly the entire time too but in a fairly large area so involving a lot of high throttle use.

I run a mix of mostly 4S and have two 6S packs to run. The motor and ESC stay within safe temperature limits on either battery.

As a side note, the ET48.3 is actually quite a bit lighter than an E-Revo as it's a racing spec car with lighter materials and design.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Based on your recommendations (and since Klappars also runs hard in Grass) I ordered the Max8 ESC and Hobbystar 4082 1600kv. Even though the Hobbystar motor isn't waterproof, it's price is less than 1/2 of the Tekin motor I was considering so if it gets water damage I can justify getting another one. After I get it installed and a couple runs completed, I'll report back.

Thanks guys. Based on your recommendations (and since Klappars also runs hard in Grass) I ordered the Max8 ESC and Hobbystar 4082 1600kv. Even though the Hobbystar motor isn't waterproof, it's price is less than 1/2 of the Tekin motor I was considering so if it gets water damage I can justify getting another one. After I get it installed and a couple runs completed, I'll report back.
Great choice. I run a 17t pinion in mine with Proline Badlands 3.8 tyres. I would reccomend this pinion unless you are using bigger tyres, in that case go lower on the pinion by a tooth or two.

Hey guys I'll be getting my et48.3 Friday, I was also asking myself these questions for my typhon when my hobbywing Max 8 caught fire.
I went straight to a Max 6 and a hobbystar 4092. 1740 kv and temps are no longer an issue. (Even on 8s)
I've never owned a Tekno and am pumped to be getting one.
What pinion would you guys suggest with this setup in my Et48?

Hi All. After a crash and long wait for parts, I'm back in action and have results. I got the Hobbywing Max8 ESC and Hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor. Due to the motor being longer, the ESC wouldn't fit so I had to 3D print a custom bracket to stand the ESC on end. Everything fits fine now. I also put a extra heat sink on that I had laying around. My testing confirms klappers setup of a 17T tooth for hard grass running. Below are the results. I couldn't find definite temp specs on the motor, but I think 185-ish is on the verge of being to hot. The 17T's temp of 160F should keep the motor's temp in a good range.

15T temps were about 185F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.
17T temps were about 160F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.
19T temps were about 190F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.

IMG_4978.JPG

Hi All. After a crash and long wait for parts, I'm back in action and have results. I got the Hobbywing Max8 ESC and Hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor. Due to the motor being longer, the ESC wouldn't fit so I had to 3D print a custom bracket to stand the ESC on end. Everything fits fine now. I also put a extra heat sink on that I had laying around. My testing confirms klappers setup of a 17T tooth for hard grass running. Below are the results. I couldn't find definite temp specs on the motor, but I think 185-ish is on the verge of being to hot. The 17T's temp of 160F should keep the motor's temp in a good range.

15T temps were about 185F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.
17T temps were about 160F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.
19T temps were about 190F on the motor. ESC & Battery OK.

View attachment 3398
Glad you got it running.

On my car I use a yeah racing heatsink with twin fans. This is usually only necessary to keep the temps within 180° when runing 6S on grass.

It would run all day long on 4S without any heatsinks though!

Recent Popular Liked

Back