• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48 2.0 Tyres!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifti

Reaction score
Being my first kit build, and my first venture in competition buggies, I had never realised there were so many different types of tyres!
I'm after a generic set, used mainly on-road or short grass surfaces. Would the following be good enough?
I'm not racing etc - just general use really....

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/product-page/mini-pin-1-8th-pre-glue-yellow-pr

On-road tires will require a medium compound smooth tread pattern, something like these GRP tires here would do nicely:
http://www.grpgandini.it/tyres/1-8-gt/t01-revo.html

The turf/grass tires you selected above would be appropriate for running with the soft yellow compound you already selected. If you ran the soft mini pin soft tires on-road, then they would wear out within 1 battery pack and traction would not work very well, in contrast if you ran the GRP tires on grass you would get poor results as well.

You will also need to make sacrifices in performance when tuning between on-road and off-road, typically you need thicker fluids/springs for on-road and softer fluids/springs for off-road to get the best results.

Thanks for that Bill - I'll be mainly using this buggy for on-road (parking lots etc) so will look at the link you sent me - for me its just the difficulty of getting a lot of this stuff in the UK!

I find the GRPs to really not be that sticky. The problem is that parking lot surfaces are usually so dirty that they look more like off road than on road.

If you are going for the GRPs get S1 (softest and stickiest) to S3. They won’t wear that much and harder compound will make your buggy run like a drift car.

What works best for me is good old off road tire that I usually run till bald on road. They are a lot softer and offer the cushion that is needed for rather rough surface.

I find the GRPs to really not be that sticky. The problem is that parking lot surfaces are usually so dirty that they look more like off road than on road.

If you are going for the GRPs get S1 (softest and stickiest) to S3. They won’t wear that much and harder compound will make your buggy run like a drift car.

What works best for me is good old off road tire that I usually run till bald on road. They are a lot softer and offer the cushion that is needed for rather rough surface.

So do you think I would be Ok with the set in the first post, after letting them wear down a little?
To be fair I'd be on short grass as well as tarmac.......

Last edited:
Nicochau is correct that the harder the compound the less traction you will get, but the softer the compound the faster your tires will wear. The softest GRP compound will still be significantly harder than the hardest Schumacher compound, you will wear the Schumacher tires very fast if you run then on tarmac. I would only run GRP tires on tarmac, but use your own discretion on how fast of wear you are comfortable with... start with the softest compound they offer and see if the wear life if acceptable to you. I recommended medium as a balance between performance and longevity.

For short grass and dusty tarmac, any of these any good?
(They are easily available to me!)

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/grp-tyres?page=2

You are failing to grasp the concept between off-road tires and GT8 tires, there is no such thing as buying a single tire that will perform well on both surface conditions :(

Yes these are good, but if you're gonna buy from the US, then I would highly recommend these instead, best performance and longevity you can get for the price!
https://www.sweepracingusa.com/8th-...pc-tire-set-with-Pre-Glued-options_p_266.html

Thanks Bill - only reason for me buying from the US is because I have some Amazon.com vouchers to use so wanted to put them towards tyres! lol

I see the Sweep GT tyres are local to me - you think these will be better then the GRP S4's?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/266...u2RZPMPmRyBwKyjKTVaTk-yMiimLru_AaApvAEALw_wcB

Yes, Sweep are way better than GRP, the grip better and last longer!

I used to race with Sweep tires many years ago, I tried tons of other brands (GRP included) and nobody came close to Sweep

Those Sweep tires look good!

if you have an RC track near you, you probably have racers selling used tires. Competitive racers use 5 to 10% of tire thread and then dispose of them. Buying used is cheap way to try stuff. ebay is another alternative to find cheap options.

Tires are very terrain dependent and it’s a game of trial and error. My only advise at this stage is to not put too much money in ONE set. Diversity is what you need to find what works for you. Try different things.

Tires to try:

1/ On road

Sweep for on road (I got the GRPs in S3 compound, don’t use them anymore).
Lessons learned: RC definition of "on road" = very clean and smooth surface. Parking lot is not a smooth and clean surface. lol
IMG_2017.JPG

2/ Indoors track: these came with a used truck I bought. Love the rims, have absolutely no clue about how they perform. Tires are usually track-dependent. To each track their tires, best way to know is to ask local veteran drivers.
IMG_2018.JPG

3/ Outdoors track tires: the most versatile option and also what works best on your sunday morning parking lot race with friends. These are James Racing. I bought the same set for $20 on ebay!! Too cheap to not try them.
IMG_2019.JPG

4/ Off road bashing tires: Large knobs “Badland” style for grass and loose dirt. These are knock offs from ebay. They are great!! Cheap and very efficient off road. You'll be surprised how well they work on all terrain. I wouldn't race on road with them, but definitely a versatile bashing tire. If buying cheap ones from ebay, make sure they are not too hard compound. On some terrains, these tires can have too much lateral grip and create traction roll.
IMG_2020.JPG

Let me know if you need links!

Cheers,

Awesome info. Thanks!

My Sweeps EXT GT's arrived today.

Shame my EB48 2.0 is still nowhere to be seen :sick:

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 395
It wasn't too long ago that I had small issue with similar wheels like those blue spoked ones pictured. I don't know what EB48 buggy you are running, but I had grind a bit of the spokes down in order to get that concave shape (shown in red) which allows full use of the 2.0 buggy's steering. I am sure that I weakened the wheels. How much? That I don't know. Time will tell.

20200504_183244.jpg

It wasn't too long ago that I had small issue with similar wheels like those blue spoked ones pictured. I don't know what EB48 buggy you are running, but I had grind a bit of the spokes down in order to get that concave shape (shown in red) which allows full use of the 2.0 buggy's steering. I am sure that I weakened the wheels. How much? That I don't know. Time will tell.

View attachment 4793

Never had this issue on EB48.2 and .4

You might want to run the +1 or +2mm hex, that should fix this issue (if I got it well).

Those spikes are ebay cheapies and they are pretty awesome for bashing. I even race with them "at the park". Great value for $.

View attachment 4793

I have noticed some slight rubbing on the inside of the front wheels on the 2.0. It appears that when in full swing the inside of the rim rubs on the front part of the front arms a little bit. I am running Sweeps "defenders".

Didn't look like I have to go to the lengths you are mentioning but I plan to add an extra washer or two to the steering stops to see if that helps the issue.

I put the Sweep terrain crushers on one of my Bashers and they are great of around the house. A mix of street and grass. The rig handles so much better than the tall side wall of other tires ( proline ). Also they are belted and very strong way better than
9E33CCDB-C76E-4C0D-8849-813848372FCA.jpeg
putting duct tape on the inside of the tires

Recent Popular Liked

Back