• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Tools for getting started with Tekno RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving Style
Basher
No matter what Tekno RC kit you're building most every kit shares the exact same tool requirements with 1-2 kits differing from the rest. The below tool list will have you covered regardless of what Tekno RC kit you decide to buy and build.

Tools needed to build a Tekno RC kit

Hex drivers:
Nut drivers:
Other tools:
I would certainly recommend the Tekno RC hex and nut drivers if you're planning on staying in the RC hobby for any given amount of time. They are top quality tools that are also adjustable and replaceable tips. The hex wrench tips from Tekno RC also come with a lifetime warranty - so these really are the last tools you'd need to buy.

If you're looking for a cheap alternative, then the Dynamite Starter Kit would be an option. This tool set will cover all the needed hex and nut driver sizes in addition to add a few extra as well as philips and flat head screw drivers and a few other tools.

If you have other tool suggestions or comments about the above tools please let us know below!

Tekno RC Multi-Purpose Shock/Ball End Tool (TKR1115) looks awesome but honesty o don't want to pay 35 USD + 15 USD shipping for that so I found this cheap unbranded alternative option at ALIEXPRESS.
This little tool doesn't look fancy and maybe the materials are not top quality but In my opinion, It works well and cost me only 17 USD whit international express shipping included, so considering this is not a frequently used tool in my case it works well
clamp.jpg

Tekno RC Multi-Purpose Shock/Ball End Tool (TKR1115) looks awesome but honesty o don't want to pay 35 USD + 15 USD shipping for that so I found this cheap unbranded alternative option at ALIEXPRESS.
This little tool doesn't look fancy and maybe the materials are not top quality but In my opinion, It works well and cost me only 17 USD whit international express shipping included, so considering this is not a frequently used tool in my case it works well
View attachment 27
I grabbed the Tekno version and it was expensive, wish I had though to look for an off brand. However, it is probably the best tool in my box. I almost never have to use it, but when I do there is nothing else that can do the job.

Of course the MIP bits are the 2nd best.

In addition to hand tool, a good desktop covering is a must so that you don't mess it up with glue, grease, solder, cuts, etc. I tried several of the magnetic pads by CowRC and such. My favorite ended up being a silicone "fondant" pad for use in the kitchen. It is perfect! I wrote a review about it a few years ago in the RCCrawler forum: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tool...-silicone-pastry-fondant-pad-rc-work-mat.html

In addition to hand tool, a good desktop covering is a must so that you don't mess it up with glue, grease, solder, cuts, etc. I tried several of the magnetic pads by CowRC and such. My favorite ended up being a silicone "fondant" pad for use in the kitchen. It is perfect! I wrote a review about it a few years ago in the RCCrawler forum: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tool...-silicone-pastry-fondant-pad-rc-work-mat.html
Great idea. I am cheap when it comes to equipment, i see no point in paying for a brand if quality is similar for a lower price, and using something that had a whole different purpose is great.
I've had good luck with Hobbyking drivers, they get the job done without any issues, and I also use a Trackstar pit mat, it was also very cheap.
I am curious, what do you guys use to store and carry your tools and RC's? Haven't had any luck in finding anything cheap locally.

The only struggle I had was the reamer. The 4mm drill bit was a tad too small. I had to really work it to get those holes to open up. Wish I had the reamer

Indeed, i used a drill bit for my first body, started the hole with a sharp scissor and finished it wit a drill bit, but a reamer is priceless, and they are cheap.

I picked up this little set for cordless screwdrivers from Team EDS. They are not Tekno or MIP but they have been solid and get the job done, dont hurt the wallet either.

http://www.team-eds.com/product-p/eds-500902.htm

I also have the Dynamite Starter Kit posted in the OP.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of drivers off eBay for about 15 bucks. Built my whole kit no problem. Im going to upgrade them one at a time. 2.0 is by far my most used so it will be first

Tekno shock/pivot ball tool was one of my best purchases. I use MIP drivers and have for years. I picked up a Yeah Racing 4mm reamer for my 1st Tekno build. Another handy thing I rely on quite often is magnetizer/demagnatizer. Awesome to be able to magnetize your drivers to set those hard to reach screw locations without dropping screws.

Yeah they're a bit pricey but you can't beat MIP tools. Need to pick up a reamer and I like the idea of adding the magnetizer/demagnetizer to the arsenal.

I have thought of picking up the Tekno nut drivers as a second set. Anyone have experience with them, are they a quality tool?

I’ve had good luck with the MIP drivers, my original duratrax kit stripped after 1 build.

So after my first full kit and about 11-12 hours of total wrenching (lotta learning going on lol) I would say the absolute hands down best tools I have are my MIP hex drivers and MIP hex speed tips without a doubt. The quality is second to none. The speed tips saved me a ton of time and I am happy I decided to buy them.

Second would be my HR shock multi tool (wish I would have bought the Tekno though).

Third, my Hakko FX-888D soldering station. I can’t express how nice it is to have a quality soldering iron. I really can’t.

Fourth, a large quality pit mat and magnetic bowl. It helps the screws stay where you put them. Amazingly enough I didn’t drop or lose a single screw.

To build my Tekno shocks I used my Leatherman and it was perfect

The most used toll is the 2.5 hex driver for 90% of the screws

For sure on the 2.5mm hex. I swapped out all of the 2.5mm button head screws with 3mm cap head screws from Grainger. I had to order bags of 50 or 25, but having the deeper and larger hex, has made a big difference in the ease of repairs. So now my most 2 used bits are the 2.5mm for the chassis screws and the 3mm for almost everything else.

That's a good idea with the silicone mat. My E-cig/vape shop gave me a neoprene "Build Mat". It's about 30"x18", and has a magnetic corner section that is roughly 6" square. I only problem is that it is Black, so the small parts blend in.

The only struggle I had was the reamer. The 4mm drill bit was a tad too small. I had to really work it to get those holes to open up. Wish I had the reamer

There are less expensive reamers on Amazon. I have nothing to compare it too, but it worked for the couple of bodies I have done. It comes with a pair of straight edge and curved scissors. Decent lexan scissors make a world of difference when trimming the body.

The reamer can be had for less than $10, and the set run $21

https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Bod...qid=1523368789&sr=8-2&keywords=rc+body+reamer

Another indispensable tool during any build is a good cordless screwdriver. I have tried several and my favorite is the tried and true Dewalt 12v. It is light and the adjustable clutch is spot on for this application. Plus, the batteries last forever.

I’ll also add a good shop or desk light. A lot of shadows are cast in the books and crannies of these rigs and it’s hard to see in there sometimes. I vote Ottlite...very good lights.

I agree with MIP drivers being the BEST. i would love to see the Tekno's though, since they are adjustable that is a really nice feature but around $20 each is pretty spendy. i guess it makes the MIPs for $12 seem pretty cheap! i have a few MIPs but still would like a 2.5mm ... I've found once you get up into the larger sizes like above 2.0mm, the quality of the driver is less important since it doesn't need to be as tight fitting. I used to fly Helis and had a specific part that was 1.3mm hex! MIP makes it! and it fit perfectly. 1.5mm would not fit no matter the brand.
Another thing to mention is the handle size on the MIPs is nice, i had some low-end dynamites and they had small handles that made it impossible to get a good grip on, it was frustrating. I've went through turnigy and dynamite drivers before finally realizing that i needed to just buy the MIPs and be done. Now I have a whole bundle of low grade drivers that I don't really want to toss but never use any more...

I picked up this little set for cordless screwdrivers from Team EDS. They are not Tekno or MIP but they have been solid and get the job done, dont hurt the wallet either.

http://www.team-eds.com/product-p/eds-500902.htm

I also have the Dynamite Starter Kit posted in the OP.

+1 for EDS bits, I've been using these for the past 5+ years... my 1.5mm and 2.0mm bits tend to last about 2 years on average before they start to round out... I'll cut the tip of the hex head off with my Dremel to double the life of the bit ;)

The clutch on the Hitachi DB3DL2 driver is perfect for R/C, I've never stripped any plastic threads on any of my diffs, the secret is to drive each screw down and leave about 1-2mm of thread exposed, then go onto the next screw which lets the plastic cool, by the time you come back to the first screw you can fully tighten with the clutch at the lowest setting without stripping the plastic:
https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL2-Dual-Position-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004Y74AU6/

Another invaluable tool are 4mm chainsaw file for reaming the arms:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-Chainsaw-Sharpening-File/1112123

Recent Popular Liked

Back