• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Steering rack and driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skynet5

Reaction score
Hi .

Noticed that the front driveshaft rubs the steering rack.

Naff video, but 18s on shows it.

Thoughts?

Ok, removed the steering post and it clearly rubs as you can see where its rubbing, so I'd say a bit of a design issue. I've taken my Stanley to it and removed some of it.

Also the offside front wheel isn't balanced so at speed I think that shakes the Ackerman plate and exacerbates the problem.

Do you have the steering stops installed?

49470734678_282e3972e3_b.jpg

Hi mate.

Definitely. I was pretty keen on checking those steps that suggested catastrophic failure before I plugged a battery in :)

I've put new wheels on and it doesn't do it now, along with shaving a fraction of a mm off the bell crank, which by design appears to have a cut out for the outdrive when in full lock. I actually think it was mostly the wheel out of serious balance, it's had some laps and crashes :)

It looks like the shape of the bell crank by default is enough to clear the outdrive, but as the dog bone pin is slightly extended from outdrive, it can clearly rub. Also I have experienced that dog bone come loose too (other thread), so I wonder if whilst I've always had the steering stops in place, maybe my EPA hasnt been reduced enough at some point. I run at 90% to avoid hearing the servo strain. Maybe related. Pin pushed out by rubbing on the outdrive.

Anyway...I'm certainly learning loads and having a blast. Can't wait to go to the track again....and hopefully avoid that concrete post :)

Car all rebuilt with nice new arms and hinge pins.

Although I'm going to stop putting bushings in on the arms. They are stupid expensive and break too easily..even before the hinge pin bends.

Car all rebuilt with nice new arms and hinge pins.

Although I'm going to stop putting bushings in on the arms. They are stupid expensive and break too easily..even before the hinge pin bends.

I'm not sure why you're having the the bushings break on you. I've personally yet to break one but have definitely bent pins, bent hinge pin blocks, and broken an arm or two. I have seen them break, but it's far from a common thing.

With regards to running without them - the hole in the arm is much larger than the actual hinge pin and running without the bushings is not a good idea. The arms will have a significant amount of play in them causing inconsistent handling. It will also cause the arm to wear out faster and be more likely to break. Also, since they bushings rest on the outside of the arm and the flange is 1mm thick, your arm would be 2mm shorter (front to back).

I'm not sure why you're having the the bushings break on you. I've personally yet to break one but have definitely bent pins, bent hinge pin blocks, and broken an arm or two. I have seen them break, but it's far from a common thing.

With regards to running without them - the hole in the arm is much larger than the actual hinge pin and running without the bushings is not a good idea. The arms will have a significant amount of play in them causing inconsistent handling. It will also cause the arm to wear out faster and be more likely to break. Also, since they bushings rest on the outside of the arm and the flange is 1mm thick, your arm would be 2mm shorter (front to back).
Yeah good shout on the length.

They just seem to fall apart, I've gone through 8, 3 more than the number of hinge pins I've bent :)

Beginners pain. Learning to jump.

Interesting that you've seen the blocks break. I'm really surprised I've not bent/broke one yet...might order an a and b block as spares!

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back