• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Started the ET48

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack the Tripper

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. ET48
  2. MT410
  3. NB-48
  4. DB48
Hi all, so I finally started the build on my ET48. Looking forward to exchange tips and tricks as well as best setups and practices for the tekno 8th scale truggy.
As always I am taking the build slow and really enjoying it.
My plan is to build it as a racer thought it will probably see more bashing than racing.
Upgrades so far are the aluminum rear drive shaft, aluminum center diff mount and the tini shock shafts and delrin cartridges. And of course the aluminum servo horn.
All surplus parts of this kit will be recycled into a future DB48 project out of a quite rolled sct410.
I have the m2c long rear chassis brace but I haven't made up my mind yet if to throw it into the et or keep it for the db. I wouldn't mind some extra weight to the rear, though I haven't actually compared their weights.
I am tempted with the idea of machining a set of custom carbon fiber braces but Ill see about that later on.
Electronics are; Tekin RX8gen3 with 2250kv motor and Protek 170TBL servo (for a racer I might have gone with the SBL but had other plans at that moment).
Ill be running a Protek 4S HV LiPo 6500 120C and starting out with a 16t pinion and the arrma Katar 6s tires.
Below some pics to where I am so far in the build. Looking forward to hear any opinions and suggestions !!
For example would this motor pinion combination be a good starting point or should I consider lowering the teeth count ? Spur is the stock 44t composite.
Best to all
J

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I will keep an eye on this as well. Very interesting build.

Dumb question; is the heat from the motor going to creep over to the ESC..?

s

I will keep an eye on this as well. Very interesting build.

Dumb question; is the heat from the motor going to creep over to the ESC..?

s
Not at all, and thanks for the remark ! temps is something I really want to keep an eye on. I Believe it definitely will, even more at this time of the year.
I have the yeah racing twin fan heat sink that I will drop in there but they are still very close.
Also It's my first time with a Tekin setup so I'll have to see how it performs with my driving.
I've seen a few guys that drop the esc in an over tray and that seems a really good alternative. Also I've been considering the possibility of doing a few openings on the body to increase airflow.
I still don't have it figured out but I definitely want to keep an eye on it.

Jack,

On my Nomad DB-8, the motor is on the opposite side of the ESC, and there is enough room for just about any size motor and plenty of space to cool it. I'm going to install a Trugger Tekin 2050 T8 when this Reedy motor dies.

I was wondering on the EB48 if it would be possible to move the ESC over to the other side and just make a bridge for the wiring.

Lemme know your thoughts.
20200702_072450.jpg

There are some available for purchase but if you were to make plate that can mount to the back left side where you see a spot for a brake servo, you could put your ESC there. Also, not sure if you were going to run a buggy body. It would not work if you planned to run a buggy body, just isn't enough room under the body.

Maybe someone will chime in on where you can purchase a plate if you don't make one. I think M2C makes one, but I am not sure.

Jack,

On my Nomad DB-8, the motor is on the opposite side of the ESC, and there is enough room for just about any size motor and plenty of space to cool it. I'm going to install a Trugger Tekin 2050 T8 when this Reedy motor dies.

I was wondering on the EB48 if it would be possible to move the ESC over to the other side and just make a bridge for the wiring.

Lemme know your thoughts. View attachment 5072
That is a great idea, Hadn't thought about that as a possibility. It sure gets really crowded with the Tekin setup on the ET48. As TBuggy mentions I would have to check if the body fits well but I think that the truggy body should work with enough room for the motor and esc over on the other side. That is a great idea guys, Im might just try that. Thanks for the heads up !!

Last edited:
There are some available for purchase but if you were to make plate that can mount to the back left side where you see a spot for a brake servo, you could put your ESC there. Also, not sure if you were going to run a buggy body. It would not work if you planned to run a buggy body, just isn't enough room under the body.

Maybe someone will chime in on where you can purchase a plate if you don't make one. I think M2C makes one, but I am not sure.
That plate would be the one thing I would need to make it work. Going to look up for one right away.

Sounds good Jack.

After building my DB 48, I really wish Tekno would move the ESC and motor to opposite sides. I'm sure there is a racing reason they set up their platforms in a specific way, probably to evenly balance the weight of the left and right sides.

The Losi DB Pro is also split with the ESC and Motor on opposite sides.

Here is an image. I think this is also a good layout, but I don't like the ESC right behind the front tire. It needs more protection. AE has this reverse on the Nomad, and I think that's better.

s
Losi DB Pro.jpg

Sounds good Jack.

After building my DB 48, I really wish Tekno would move the ESC and motor to opposite sides. I'm sure there is a racing reason they set up their platforms in a specific way, probably to evenly balance the weight of the left and right sides.

Here is an image. I think this is also a good layout, but I don't like the ESC right behind the front tire. It needs more protection. AE has this reverse on the Nomad, and I think that's better.

sView attachment 5101

Its a balance thing...add a 4s pack to the car in your pick and its obviously going to be heavier on that side. Balance is another reason why the chassis is so narrow. Keeping things closer the the center makes it easier to balance the chassis. These are racing platforms weight and balance was definitely a driver in the design of these cars.

Sounds good Jack.

sView attachment 5101
Surely it's got to do with balance since they are designed for racing. The Losi DB is a great rig, I have the old TenSCBE and have bashed the hell out of it having only to replace the shocks after a bad landing, went with the 22SCT shocks, a bit shorter but a significant improvement in handling. This new DBpro comes quite more upgraded compared to mine.
This platform has lots of room to work on. The layout of the Nomad is the one I would favor though.
The ET48 has zero space to spare, is like an iPhone of rc. Im sure it improves performance and handling but it does bring up on the other hand some concerns about overheating.
I've been giving quite some thought to my alternatives on relocating electronics and at first glance, all of them imply some quite heavy modifications. At least since I am planning to use the stock body flush with the chassis.
Trying to keep weight balance as much as possible I could place the ESC behind the motor and Rx where the brake servo goes but I would have to do a lot of trimming to the chassis side guards and I am not sure If I want to go that far.
I am sure that with a taller body I would be able to place the ESC on the back. I haven't discarded yet this possibility since I made up my mind and Im going forward with doing the custom carbon fiber brace connecting the center diff mount to the rear gearbox. If I get a good result I might also do the shock towers in carbon fiber as well.
I could place the ESC over that bracing behind the center diff. I haven't measured it yet but I think, just by looking at it, that it won't let the body sit flush with the chassis.
Sure with a taller body It would fit without issues.
This is a tight rig, no doubt about that. The censored cable is too long, its gonna bother when I place the twin fan heat sink. And there is nowhere I can place the on/off switch without impeding the motor to come off. Im planning on extending that cable and position the switch on the Rx box.
So lots of stuff to do and at this pace I would be surprised if I can finish it in less than two months.
At least these past few days I was able to cut the body, build the shocks, drop the servo and receiver and pre-wired everything.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 309
Yeah, I think you're on the right track. My DB48 is tight and I'm not thrilled with the layout either. I'm fitting a spare set of Nomad bumpers to the rear, and then I will get the body fitted. It took me a day to build the DB48, and a month to figure out how to mount a body.

I paid far too much for body posts from the RC8.2, so I ordered some raw material and I will spin a few sets on the lathe to be spares. I'll probably sell extras for cheap on my website once I get the DB48 project up and posted.

The new ET 410.2 is also very interesting. I like that layout more, but things are still so tight. I would move the power switch and receiver back behind the batter, and then move the ESC a bit more forward, and I think you might really have something there.

I'm gonna wait and ask Tekno a few questions about this before I make a move on the SCT 410.3.

s

Yeah, I think you're on the right track. My DB48 is tight and I'm not thrilled with the layout either. I'm fitting a spare set of Nomad bumpers to the rear, and then I will get the body fitted. It took me a day to build the DB48, and a month to figure out how to mount a body.

I paid far too much for body posts from the RC8.2, so I ordered some raw material and I will spin a few sets on the lathe to be spares. I'll probably sell extras for cheap on my website once I get the DB48 project up and posted.

The new ET 410.2 is also very interesting. I like that layout more, but things are still so tight. I would move the power switch and receiver back behind the batter, and then move the ESC a bit more forward, and I think you might really have something there.

I'm gonna wait and ask Tekno a few questions about this before I make a move on the SCT 410.3.

s

How is the DB48 coming along ? Would love to see some pics on the process !
The ET410 is a really cool rig. I really dig a 1/10 truggy. I was super tempted to get one, at one point I almost went ahead and convert my B64 to a truggy layout but I like it too much the way it is and would have ended up with a lot of useless parts.

Last edited:
This is how one of my ET410s is set up. Kind of like you are talking about.
View attachment 5126
TBuggy , your ET410 is killer . The best one Ive seen by far !!
That is exactly what I had in mind but instead of the rx, it would be the esc mounted on the brace. Unfortunately I have mocked it up already and it won't fit unless I cut out an opening on the back of the body for the esc to protrude out of it. I probably won't go that way for now, but I don't discard the possibility if I sense it needs more cooling.

I was able to put in a few hours on the ET48 last night and made some progress.
Did a template for the carbon fibre bracing. Im waiting on a lexan sheet to improve on precision and do the final one.
Presented the twin fan heat sink to try out the fit with the body on. It fits great but with zero margin.
Soldered the plugs of the battery cables.
Extended the esc cables all the way to the rx box and installed the on/off switch flush with the lid. I had to place it perpendicular since It wouldn't fit the other way. It is not that much of a change but I think that it will improve a at least a bit the airflow around the motor and esc, plus it gives a cleaner look.
And finally did the first system check by firing it up. Still needs programming and calibration but everything works.
Baby steps but it is getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
So two more build sessions went into the ET48 over the past few weeks and I can happily say that finally there is no more building nor wiring to do. They are done!!
I am quite happy with how the carbon fiber brace turned out considering it was quite much a hand made piece. Just a drill press and a lot of sanding. For sure Im not doing any other cf piece. I made a freaking mess in the house.
Finished the wiring achieving my goal of having the electronics tray able to be fully pluggable; no de sodering nor touching the motor.
Servo centered and connected to the steering.
Connected sensored cable.
Installed the pinion, set the gear mesh. Generous loctite, fully tightened.
Dropped the shocks, installed the wheels and the build is done !!
Now on to final touches, adjusting camber, toe and ride height. Im probably going to change the shocks to the inside position for increased ride height and a more aggressive off-road stance. Not much of a race oriented truggy now ?
As well as firing her up for programming and systems check.
And last but not least. Body Paint. Have some cool ideas. Im aiming to capture some sort of modern hot rod inspired design. Might do a few openings on the body as well to increase airflow towards the motor and esc. Theres almost no space between the twin fans and the body.
I also might drop a connector on the battery just for ease of use.
So the next will be an entirely new post with the finished build RTR.
Best to all !!!

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3321.jpg