• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410.3 SCT410.3 Budget Build Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NimblyBimbly

Reaction score
I've been on the verge of ordering an SCT410.3 for about a month now. I've hesitated because I know I won't have the time to commit to regular racing so I have a hard time committing to the budget most of these trucks seem to be built to.

Rather than not doing it at all, what do you think about a budget build? How cheap could I go and still get some enjoyment out of it, including a couple attempts at a track?

I already have a Flysky GT5 and Zeee 2S, 5200mAh 80C and 3S 6000mAh 80C batteries.

Here's what I was thinking:
I'm not sure yet about wheels and tires. My local club requires: short course sized (2.2” outer bead, 3.0” inner bead) wheel and tire. I'd just go with a high-value wheel option and whatever tire most guys suggest for the local track.

That totals $672 CAD ($535 USD) if you exclude the radio and batteries I already have. Is that a good or bad idea? Will I get laughed off the track? Will it be more trouble than it's worth?

This was the recommendation from my local shop for a "budget option":
Max10 SCT w/3200kv motor non sensored (waterproof) - $199.99
Power HD 25kg servo - $84.99
Gens Ace 7600mah 2s - $99.99
Body - $64.99 - $69.99
Total: $930 CAD ($740 USD)

And this was their "Race Ready" recommendation:
Hobbywing XR8 SCT w/3600kv sensored motor (not waterproof) - $249.99
PowerHD S-25 brushless servo - $169.99
Gens Ace Redline 8200mah 2s HV battery - $139.99
Body - $64.99 - $69.99
Total: $1,105 ($878 USD)

Thoughts?

I never worry about if anyone laughs at my gear. If you're having fun, who cares what others think, right? Not everyone can afford all the high-end gear an all the trick upgrades.
That being said, I'm afraid even with what you have now, it is going to be more expensive than that by what I calculate for any of my builds as "The price of the kit, the parts needed to run" plus about another 1/2 the total for things you never think of: replacement parts, oils, greases, tools, ect. Doesn't sound like it would be that much more, but in-all, the little costs add up a lot, ESPECIALLY if you're competing. When I was competitively racing, the club wouldn't even let you drop your car on the course without brand new fresh tires, an they had to be all the same as everyone else that you had to buy from that track store.

Don't be discouraged, though. It may be a good idea just to start with the very best you can afford RIGHT NOW, and upgrade later. This way, you can get into competing without emptying your bank account, an you aren't out a ton of money if you decide you don't want to compete at all. I made that mistake years ago; got all the goodies for a track car, everything "the pros" had...an then found out I didn't like that class of racing in the long run, (I think that was when I tried 1/10 pan cars. Didn't care for it for some reason, but did get into 1/12 scale later).

What matters most is the fun you get out of it. If anyone laughs at what you bring to the track, then they are snobs an probably aren't having fun at all other than mocking other people.

Winning races depends mainly on you. Your gear has to be close, sure. You're not gonna win on a low grip track running slicks and everyone else is running pin tires. But you get the idea.

Now whether or not you go for it is entirely up to you. As stated above, little.things add up. I'm getting low on diff and shock oils and it's gonna cost 50 USD to stock up on what I'm low on, not to replinish my entire inventory.

And charger? Do you have a decent charger? If you go to a track and only have a couple batteries you need to be able to get them charged back up quickly between rounds, and then be able to get them into storage voltage for those Canadian winters you guys have.

People laughing at you? Let them laugh. Practice you rear off at the track and then lay a whoopin on them with a Gool RC set up or other cheap motor. I know of some pretty darn fast guys who will not run anything but Trackstar motors. How do you think Hobbywing got popular? They were a cheap alternative to Reedy, Orion, and etc.

I agree, fun is fun and who cares what people think! I was in the same boat, I bought the .3 kit and transferred all electronics from another truck. Its not "race" gear by any means! I still take it to the track and have a blast with it. I also take it out and bash it proper. No need to spend outrageous money for "race" gear, build it with what you have and have fun.

The budget parts are mostly fine. One thing to watch - Racerstar is a rebrand of GoolRC. GoolRC motors are pretty reliable, but their ESC's are not. I have had 4 of them, only one currently works, and one was dead out of the box. Banggood is pretty good about returns, but they will make you jump thru hoops. (several emails, video of the problem, maybe some other stuff) I would rather get the Hobbywing MAX10SCt and a GoolRC motor. I do have 2x of the Racerstar 3660 3800kv - they are fast and strong, and $20 a motor.

Another option - buying a ESC combo from one of the Ebay kit breakers -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-BLX1...559376&hash=item1cc529e132:g:Ol8AAOSwrgVfcw-G
the Arrma BLX100 ESC is rumored to be a rebrand of the MAX10 (80a), with a few programing options removed (like BEC voltage)

The budget parts are mostly fine. One thing to watch - Racerstar is a rebrand of GoolRC. GoolRC motors are pretty reliable, but their ESC's are not. I have had 4 of them, only one currently works, and one was dead out of the box. Banggood is pretty good about returns, but they will make you jump thru hoops. (several emails, video of the problem, maybe some other stuff) I would rather get the Hobbywing MAX10SCt and a GoolRC motor. I do have 2x of the Racerstar 3660 3800kv - they are fast and strong, and $20 a motor.

Another option - buying a ESC combo from one of the Ebay kit breakers -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-BLX1...559376&hash=item1cc529e132:g:Ol8AAOSwrgVfcw-G
the Arrma BLX100 ESC is rumored to be a rebrand of the MAX10 (80a), with a few programing options removed (like BEC voltage)
I'm actually thinking of buying a 410.3 within the year. I have a 3s motor/esc combo for the senton, but I'll probably buy a new combo, because mine is trash.

Recent Popular Liked

Back