• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

SCT410.3 basher first

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatdividers

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
Greetings Tekno people! Beware, I'm fairly new to the RC hobby. I currently have a Arrma Mega Senton as well as a Twin Hammers that I'm almost finished building.

I've recently purchased what I believe is everything required for a decent SCT410 build. My main goals with this are to enjoy the build process, durable bashing, maaayyybbeee get into racing. We have indoor and outdoor 1/10 4x4 short course but I've yet to go to the tracks at all. Here is a list of what I've purchased and I have a few questions too.

SCT410.3 Kit
XR8 SCT Pro ESC Combo With 3660SD-A (4300kv) Motor
Savox 1256TG .15/277oz
Hinge Pins Inner Front/Rear EB48/SCT410
Pro-Line Badlands MX SC M2 MTD Impulse ProTrac F/R
JConcepts Illuzion SCT Ford Raptor SVT Clear Body SCT-R
Tekno RC HRC Rear Hubs L/R CV or Uni SCT.3/SL
Tekno RC Low Frequency Shock Spring Set Front Orange
Tekno RC Low Frequency Shock Spring Set Rear Green
Tekno RC Shock Cap Aluminum Non-Vented Top (2)
Tekno RC V2 Adj Hinge Pin Brace "C" Block Alum EB/NB
Tekno RC V2 Adj Hinge Pin Brace "A" Block Alum EB/NB
Spektrum DX2E ACTIVE 2Ch DSMR Radio w/SR310
Tekno RC Pinion Gear 17T M5(MOD1/5mm Bore/M5 Set Scrw)

Did I miss anything? I know I need paint for the body. Looking at it I think I need a servo horn/saver too. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I have 10, 15, 30, 50 diff fluids. Recommendations for what goes in each diff? My plan was 15-30-15
Shock oils I have are 27.5, 32.5, 37.5, 50. Recommendations appreciated. Plan was 37.5 front 32.5 rear.
Is my run time going to be poor for bashing? I feel like this motor/esc is more appropriate for racing... maybe not bashing. I currently only have one 2s 5000mah 100c battery.

Thanks for reading and any help! I'm glad to finally have my Tekno :cool:

I would definitely get the aluminum servo horn from TEKNO, it is very unique as most aftermarket horns won't be compatible.

If you're going to be bashing, then I would not recommend the motor you selected, only reason why racers recommend that 4300KV motor is because ROAR limits the class to 2S.

Since you are going to be bashing only, then I would recommend a 2000KV motor designed for 1/8 Buggy and powered with a 4S pack which will improve efficiency, reduce temps and significantly increase run time where you will be lucky to get 10-12 min of 100% work on 2S-8Ah but can get closer to 15 min of 100% work on 4S-5Ah.

If you decide to keep the 4300KV motor, then 17T pinion is probably too large, maybe 16T for limited speed runs, but for long bashing sessions I would go 15T to keep temps under control.

Most TEKNO setups will use cSt for shock oils which can vary drastically for your driving conditions... will you be bashing on asphalt or dirt?

Tire selection will be the most important selection to do first where a medium compound tire is best for asphalt and a soft compound is better for dirt... if you plan to run on both surface types, then you will need to get a different tire for each condition or you will make significant sacrifice in performance, same goes with your setup/oil choices.

Good Luck!

Thanks @Billl DeLong . I will make sure to get a Tekno servo horn (y)

I will mostly be bashing on dirt or gravel. I purchased pro-line badlands which seemed to get great reviews for bashing. I will start with these and go from there.

I think I will get a couple other pinion sizes to try with the 4300kV motor. I will probably end up getting a 4S motor/esc combo but I don't want to invest any more into this thing before even driving it :LOL:.

Fedex attempted to deliver all of my stuff yesterday while I was at work. Tomorrow I will pick them up and hopefully make a solid dent in building the thing this weekend. Will post pics asap!

For loose pack dirt/gravel, I would probably start with this setup here, Badlands are a decent basher tire for your needs, if you plan to do any speed runs on the street then I would invest in a set of Streetfighters too:

49464264372_53fe99be0d_b.jpg

Good to see other people running the SCT410.3. It seems like the only thing people talk about on here is the MT and the Truggies. My son and I bash the short course trucks and we love them. We also run them on the local indoor and outdoor tracks. My rig was set up for 2S racing when I bought it, with a 4300kv Hobbywing setup and I have no problem bashing. In my son's truck we run a 3600kv Dynamite motor on 3s with a 15 tooth pinion. It run long and cool and it's super fast. The 3s is a lot cheaper to run than the 4s and when his friends want to drive we put one of my 2s batteries in there so its more controllable for them. As far as parts go, it sounds like you're off to a good start. The servo horn and the A and C blocks are the most important things. The only other thing I would recommend would be T-Bone Racing bumpers. They'll save your truck bodies a lot of wear and tear. Good luck and have fun!!!

My 2 cents, pretty much agreeing with what the other guys have suggested.

I have 2 x SCT410's setup for bashing , one started as a slightly used ex racer ( 410.3 ) , with a high end 2S setup, Tekin 4600 HD and MMX ESC , the other as a well used SCT 410.1 slider.

These trucks are too heavy for 2S , IMO, only really required to abide by the ROAR 2S limitation for racing, so unless you will be racing, I wouldn't recommend going the 2S route.

The 2S race set up was underwhelming for me, the SCT 410.3 is now running 2200KV / 4S and its a way better set up for bashing. I would suggest changing all composite diff cross pins to the steel units as that has been the only thing that I have damaged since going to 4S. I was lucky that the truck came with all aluminium ABCD blocks, and servo horn. I see the AC and Servo Horn are on your list.

The SCT410.1 has been recently fully refurbed and is running a lower end 3660 3300 KV/ 120A ESC 3S setup for now as a preliminary shakedown for my youngest son who is 11. The original SCT410's come with aluminium A/C blocks and steel cross pins as standard , also running aluminium servo horn on.

Tyres : I have the original Badlands with zero offset combo on the 3S truck. 4S I have JConcepts Choppers which proved too soft so I have taped those to minimise the ballooning. The new Bandlands you have chosen are by far the best for bashing, you will be happy with those.

I would also recomend the T-Bone bumpers, I have the front bumper on both trucks, the SCT410.3 has both F/R.

Both trucks re very similar in speed as I have geared them accordingly to be on par ( 16T 3S / 17T 4S ), 4S is a bit more of a handful due to the additional torque, but the 3S is no slouch.

Shock Oils : 50F/40R is what I run, and I had to play around with springs and shock pistons quite a bit on the 410.3 to get it settled , YMMV.

Diff Oil : I just run the standard recommended , but most likely will look into some heavier grades in future once I dial the trucks in more.

Best of luck with the build, and have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! Lots to take in and lots of things to try :cool:. I mostly finished the build and the setup is very similar to the one posted above by Bill.

I had charge left in a battery after I took my Arrma out since it broke, again. I decided to say f*** it and took the Tekno out. The servo isn't water proof but everything else is, what could go wrong! I drove it up and down a road since it's the only place I could find that wasn't completely covered in snow. I forgot I didn't loctite the pinion set screw because I wasn't sure if I was going to use the 15t or 17t gear. It came loose and brought my fun to an end.

The steering, acceleration, everything about it is next level. This thing is absolutely mental compared to my Arrma Senton. The Senton was my first RC to get my feet wet before I went all in. Now I just want more Teknos :D

I need to finish the alignment and paint/trim the body I purchased. I won't have anywhere to paint it for a couple months so I fit my Senton body for now. Unfortunately there are no indoor tracks for SCT's around here so I will have to resist the urge to take it outside... We will see how that goes :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20200222_141727.jpg
    IMG_20200222_141727.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_20200222_141737.jpg
    IMG_20200222_141737.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_20200222_141857.jpg
    IMG_20200222_141857.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 761
Shock Oils : 50F/40R is what I run, and I had to play around with springs and shock pistons quite a bit on the 410.3 to get it settled , YMMV.
What springs did you end up using for the front and rear of your 410.3? I'm about to build my 410.3 kit for bashing. Planning to use a 5000mah 4S pack and likely a 4268 or 4274 motor (likely HobbyWing). Curious to get some recommendations on springs that'll handle that added weight. I'm still undecided on ESC and motor brand. Thanks.

Recent Popular Liked

Back