• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Pros and cons of stiffer sway bars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirkracing

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB410
  2. EB48
  3. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
Hi All,

I have recently started racing my ET410 at the local track (for the first time) and I need some help with the car rolling over.

First, the track is relatively small and tight, with only one straightaway, and lots of tight turns. The track is carpet, and the fastest guys get around in about 16 seconds.

I am pretty happy with my box stock ET410 (everything is per the manual). However, I can see the inside rear tire lift on almost all turns, so I wondering if there any disadvantage in using the stiffest sway bars Tekno provides.

I have TONS of grip, and most of the weigth it pretty far forward, so really the only thing to tune is the sway bars with the hope of taming those roll-overs.

Thanks!!

If you go to a stiffer rear bar the inside rear is going to lift up even more. As a test, next time you're at the track drive around a few laps with you truck as it is now. Then go remove the rear bars links to the arm (undo the set screw on the ball and unscrew the ball end from the arm), you can leave the actual bar flopping around for the test. Continue driving and note the difference.

I'm not saying that a good carpet setup is no rear bar. For carpet, the stock setup will need to be changed a lot to be really fast, but you might be able to change it a little and get around pretty consistently.

Matt, thanks! I'll give that a try just to see the effect. I guess now that I re-read my post, the problem is not that the inside rear tire is lifting, it is that the entire truck rolls over from time to time in hard turns. So, that is why I considered stiffer sway bars.

Do you know of a set-up sheet for small carpet tracks for the ET410? Maybe I need to consider a number of other changes as well (as you suggested).

Thanks!

Matt, thanks! I'll give that a try just to see the effect. I guess now that I re-read my post, the problem is not that the inside rear tire is lifting, it is that the entire truck rolls over from time to time in hard turns. So, that is why I considered stiffer sway bars.

Do you know of a set-up sheet for small carpet tracks for the ET410? Maybe I need to consider a number of other changes as well (as you suggested).

Thanks!
I found your carpet setup. Thanks.

ride height is your issue, when I used to run my ET410 on turf I was running around 14-16mm ride height and to put an insane amount of mods to get that truck to handle properly.... I ran the original release so not sure if the towers changed but VRP used to make custom towers to get low ride height.

EDIT, here's the tower to reduce ride height:
https://www.visionracingproducts.co...T410-4mm-Rear-Tower-VRP1560.htm?categoryId=-1

1622581414291.png

Last edited:
Bill thanks! Lowering ride height made a huge difference!

Now I need to experiment with sway bars... I've read a number of setup sheets for carpet and seems like most folks are running stiff sway bars, harder springs, and thicker oil.

Matt Armeni's setup sheet is a little different. He has thinner oil, no rear swaybar, etc. So it will be very interesting to experiment with different people's setup sheets to see what works on my track.

My setup is very old and was done for turf, I no longer own the chassis anymore so can't really comment on current trends, etc just wanted to give you a ballpark starting point... if you start to traction roll or lose steering, then maybe consider putting the rear sway bat back on or go with a thinner rear sway bar. Note that I ran VRP rear tower which drastically change the roll center geometry so the rear sway bar was perfect for me.

TEKNO's are notorious for the rear inside wheel popping up in tight corners, I've grown to accept that they were designed for dirt and it takes a lot of work/modifications to get them to run on turf/carpet properly.

Thanks Bill. I ordered the VRP towers based on your recommendation (you need to get set up with affiliate links!) so those are on the way.

The only track near my house is a tight carpet track. What chassis do you think is more suitable for that? The jumps are relatively small.

I have 3 different Tekno vehicles... but always looking for an excuse to add another vehicle to the fleet, even if from a different brand.

Recent Popular Liked

Back