• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

New to RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne457

Reaction score
I've always wanted to get into RCs and RC racing but never made it a priority. I was able to get a screaming deal on a used SCT410.3 off Ebay. Just wondering what I should do 1st? Should I disassemble and clean to look for any issues? What parts should I look really close at? Any beginner advice?

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum.

I would start by downloading or printing a copy of the instruction manual. It's saved as a sticky at the top of the sub forum but here's a link.
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/tekno-rc-sct410-3-manual-setup-sheet.10/

If you don't already have a set I would start with a decent to good set of hex drivers to reduce the risk of stripping screw heads during maintenance/tear down/rebuilds.

Give it a good look over for any obvious bent or broken bits. Remove the shocks and check that the suspension cycles smoothly with no binding. I think it would be worth creating a setup sheet to document what you're starting with to compare to the kit setup per the manual.

If it came with electronics and you have a tx, rx, battery and charger I would charge a battery and take it for a Sunday drive. See if it tracks straight, makes any crazy noises or lets out the smoke or flames.

If you have any questions post them up but the most important thing you need to do is have fun with it.

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum.

I would start by downloading or printing a copy of the instruction manual. It's saved as a sticky at the top of the sub forum but here's a link.
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/tekno-rc-sct410-3-manual-setup-sheet.10/

If you don't already have a set I would start with a decent to good set of hex drivers to reduce the risk of stripping screw heads during maintenance/tear down/rebuilds.

Give it a good look over for any obvious bent or broken bits. Remove the shocks and check that the suspension cycles smoothly with no binding. I think it would be worth creating a setup sheet to document what you're starting with to compare to the kit setup per the manual.

If it came with electronics and you have a tx, rx, battery and charger I would charge a battery and take it for a Sunday drive. See if it tracks straight, makes any crazy noises or lets out the smoke or flames.

If you have any questions post them up but the most important thing you need to do is have fun with it.
Thanks for the advise, it did come with electronics. I’ll check it over for obvious damage and take it out for a light drive to check performance. Then I’ll prob disassemble and check dif fluid levels like the other poster suggested. It was pretty dirty in the pics when I bought it.

I’m in the middle of building mine. I went with stock, 7k front and center, 5k rear.

For your fluids a good starting point are the weights listed in the manual. If you go through the trouble of opening the shocks and diffs just dump what is there and refill. You don't know what's in there or how old it is so just start fresh with known weights.

Let us know what you have for all of your electronics.

A thought I had if you're truly new to RC is battery care. Go to youtube and search something like rc lipo battery care and there will be a rabbit hole of videos. Watch a couple and ask questions if you have any. Proper battery maintenance is very important. Watch a couple of battery fires to understand how intense these can flame and smoke. Don't let it scare you away, just be aware these need to be treated in specific ways for balance charging, discharging/low voltage and storage. It becomes second nature as time goes by.

Thanks for the advise, it did come with electronics. I’ll check it over for obvious damage and take it out for a light drive to check performance. Then I’ll prob disassemble and check dif fluid levels like the other poster suggested. It was pretty dirty in the pics when I bought it.
For your fluids a good starting point are the weights listed in the manual. If you go through the trouble of opening the shocks and diffs just dump what is there and refill. You don't know what's in there or how old it is so just start fresh with known weights.

Let us know what you have for all of your electronics.

A thought I had if you're truly new to RC is battery care. Go to youtube and search something like rc lipo battery care and there will be a rabbit hole of videos. Watch a couple and ask questions if you have any. Proper battery maintenance is very important. Watch a couple of battery fires to understand how intense these can flame and smoke. Don't let it scare you away, just be aware these need to be treated in specific ways for balance charging, discharging/low voltage and storage. It becomes second nature as time goes by.
I did order a balanced charger/discharger and a couple of 2s 50c 5000mah batteries to start. I will go watch a few videos tho to make sure I care for them properly. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome, how are you getting on with your new car? What's the latest?
I got it off ebay. Just got it today but left it at work. Here are a couple of pics from the listing. Still waiting on batteries, remote and charger to where I can test it. Like I said with in the original post. Needs some cleanup.

Attachments

• no body.jpg
    no body.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 112
  • with body.jpg
    with body.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 108

Recent Popular Liked

Back