• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

MT410 motor - 2 poles or 4 poles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIME MACHINE

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just took the plunge and ordered a MT410. Having owned Teknos in the past, I know that there is nothing like them in terms of quality. This will be my first Tekno monster truck.

I'm a general basher, and I like speed. I have been reading up on the topic of motors, and have found that roughly 2000kv seems to be the sweet spot. I will be running (2) 2S batteries in the truck. I'm also looking at a 20-tooth pinion.

My question is about the motor. I have several new motors laying around, but they are generic and I assume that they are 1/8 2-pole motors. Can anyone shed some light on the choice of 2-pole vs 4-pole in this application?

Thanks in advance.

it's my understanding that 2 pole will be less powerful and more prone to overheating. i had a 2 pole velinion traxxas motor in a slash, biggest POS. i don't know why they are so popular. i will never bother with a 2 pole motor again. there are also some 6 pole chinese motors out.

Thanks RC_User.

I seem to recall guys swearing that the 2-pole motors were faster than the 4-pole counterparts, but I can't remember why. I also recall that they recommended only 2-pole motors for drag racing, but no mention on how they do under heavy load in an off-road setting.

Pretty certain they don't make 2 pole 8th scale motors. Most are 4 pole and some 6 poles out there as well. 2 pole is usually a 540 can ran in lightweight 2wd and some 4wd 10th scale applications. 2 pole motors are seriously lacking in the low end torque needed to even push a 4wd SCT truck

Here is a photo of a 1/8 off road 2-pole motor made by Tacon, as an example. They are out ther for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 408
Here is a photo of a 1/8 off road 2-pole motor made by Tacon, as an example. They are out ther for sure.

:unsure:Actually surprised they would even bother. I personally would step up to 4 pole, but if you have some laying around you could give it a go. I'd be pretty certain they're not going be up to the task, but I've wrong plenty of times.:LOL:

It's a long can 1/8.

uh, nope.
1/8 motors are 40/42mm dia.
1/10 "540" sized motors are 36mm in diameter

I get that it's 74mm long, which is 1/8 truggy length, and has a 5mm shaft, which again would be normal for 1/8 size, but since it has a small 1/10 sized can diameter it would be iffy to run that in anything 1/8 size... that is a cool oversized 1/10 motor though,. could put it into something 1/10 that doesn't have room for a true 1/8 sized can but still wants way more torque than a normal 1/10 could provide.

uh, nope.
1/8 motors are 40/42mm dia.
1/10 "540" sized motors are 36mm in diameter

I do understand that is conventional wisdom, but I've owned plenty of long can 1/8 motors. Most of my 1/8 Himoto trucks came with 3674 motors. Again, you are right, but these motors will easily get the job done. I bet they would work great for a MT410.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    666 KB · Views: 366
They might. I personally wouldn't run one in an MT pushing huge heavy tires unless you had an epic fan, a standard 1/8 42mm motor can get hot quick enough... probably be fine in a SCT or buggy pushing small tires though...
I think very few brands would call a 36mm dia can a 1/8 motor. Not sure why you'd use that instead of a standard 40/42mm size which will run cooler and have more power unless it's a cost thing, even a 4274 is under $50 now for a cheapie on ebay. i think that tacon would be awesome for something 1/10 that doesn't have the physical space for a 1/8 motor, not sure what though, maybe the ULTIMATE motor for the basher EB410!

Recent Popular Liked

Back