• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

MT410/ET48 - HW XR8 Plus Combo vs CC MMX Combo -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc_fan

Reaction score
Hello

I have an MT410 and I am waiting for the new ET48 2.0.

On my workbench are a HW XR8 Plus Combo with 4274 2250KV motor and a Castle MMX Combo with 1515-2200KV.

I am currently servicing my MT410, hence my question:

Which combo should stay in the MT410 and which do I keep for the ET48 2.0?

I have no personal experience owning any Castle products but in the past they were problematic at the clubs in my area so most racers would tend to stay away from them. I believe Castle has improved their quality over the years but haven't seen any racers promote the brand which to me is very telling.

HobbyWing is well known to being an industry leader and is heavily promoted by top tier drivers, that's what I personally run myself and have grown to trust on the track.

Good luck!

this is my question to. i have a mamba x 2200kv crawler set up and i love it for that. pretty sure my mamba x would be to small to run a larger motor for my still yet unseen mt410. cant decide on a mamba monster x or hw xr8plus. i dont hear much about hw sensored motors though, any reasons for that?

HobbyWing sesnsored motors are some of the best in the racing industry, touted by many pro level drivers from 1/10 through 1/8 respectively.

HobbyWing is going to start taking pre-orders next week on their new 1/8 combo which offers tons of amazing new features:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/xr8-pro-esc?_pos=9&_sid=2adbc929c&_ss=r

This ESC is catered for the G3 series motor that was recently released:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pro...motor-4274-sd-g3-motor?variant=32150255435891

Hello

I have an MT410 and I am waiting for the new ET48 2.0.

On my workbench are a HW XR8 Plus Combo with 4274 2250KV motor and a Castle MMX Combo with 1515-2200KV.

I am currently servicing my MT410, hence my question:

Which combo should stay in the MT410 and which do I keep for the ET48 2.0?
I have that came castle set-up in my ET48.4 and my 15lbs Traxxas summit

love it ?

I have both ESC's and the HW is way smoother and easier to adjust settings, which it has more of as well.

Castle is good bashing ESC since its water proof, that's the biggest advantage I would say castle has one HW.

If you want to race or want smoother throttle and more settings HW is the way to go.

I too have both esc's. I always ran castle but found a good deal on the xr8 plus combo. Thought I would give it a try in my et48 due to the limited space. It's decent but not as well made as the castle, not to mention the poor translation in the specs/manual (always bugs me that stuff) overall I prefer the MMX, Lots of adjustment, telemetry etc and the aux wire for on the fly adjustments is great, plus overall generally more powerful.
Each to there own tho and can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Why so many people changing alote of mt to me. Just for two driffrent cassie’s?

I have both as well. The Castle hits way harder than the HW. I can standing backflip on 4s with the Castle but not on the HW. Gotta go 6s for that.

But I had to send my Castle back to Olathe, KS three times in a year, so there's that. Had to wait 6 weeks for a replacement once. I used the HW during that wait so I haven't really exercised as hard as I have the Castle so I can't comment on it's longevity.

Rob

Castle has been the least problematic systems for me. I've got two Mamba Max Pro ESC that I bought when they first came out. One has been coupled to a 1406 4600KV since I've owned it. And the other other has powered several different motors. Including Pro4's, 1/8 scale set ups, 8.5 turn motors, and now it's running my SCT410.3.

The limitations to castle was the battery eleminator circuits in the Mamba Max Pro, and their somewhat big footprint in 1/10 2wd stuff. The newer stuff has rather strong BEC's, but a larger footprint to go along with it.

The older non sensored motors were not very smooth at low speed and could sometimes be inconsistent when braking depending on track conditions and settings.

The newer sensored stuff is some of the best. And is just as capable as any other brand to bash or win races.

As far as Hobbywing goes, I like them too and they speak for themselves. They too have a good smooth throttle and are about equally capable as Castle, and I have to apply the same positive comments to Hobbywing.

The biggest difference was Hobbywing didn't have to overcome a bad rap like Castle did from their first designs. Like most chinese companies they simply plagiarized other's designs. (I remember using Orion software on the Hobbywing Xerun.?)

Castle's original ESC would come apart from the casing, and usually ruin your esc from flopping around in your car while hanging by the wires.

The board was weak to begin with and foils were bad to detach from the board.

Hot? Yes, they ran hot.

Even the first Mamba Max Pro stuff had it's glitches. Luckily they were overcome with firmware updates. But hey, they developed their own stuff. Got to give them some credit, right? Even Tekin has had their issues.

Buy now there's nothing wrong with Castle now that they're sensored, and have some of the more robust BECs now.

Recent Popular Liked

Back