• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Motor Size and Gearing Differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keoni068

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to better understand motor sizing and gearing differences and would love to learn from your wisdom and experience. I have 2 motor/esc combos:

1. SMC 1900kv motor with Hobbywing SCT esc geared at 19T
2. Castle 2200kv/Mamba X combo geared at 15T

If I run both in the same car, say an MT410, with the same 4s battery, what will the differences be? For example, will one wheelie easier and have more low end torque? Will one have a considerably higher top speed? What would happen if I geared up the Castle Combo to 17T or greater, other then more heat? Or if I paired a 15T pinion with the SMC/Hobbywing Combo? More top speed but less wheelie torque?

Any and all information using this specific situation is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

too many variables to provide a definitive answer, but based on my experience I could give some rough guesses for you as to what to expect.

Before you do anything, you want to gear based on temps:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...eed-to-run-for-upgraded-electronics-in-my-car

I suspect that 19T may be too much gear for the 1900KV

Also making an assumption that 2 different brands of motor with the same can size isn't going to guarantee equal performance... chances are they will use different strength magnets in their rotors and the stators can be wound to different lengths internally which will make it like comparing apples to oranges.

Generally, the lower the KV, the faster the acceleration and better torque characteristics... but comparing 1900KV to 2200KV is splitting hairs, you can expect a pinch more top speed with the 2200KV due to spinning a higher RPM, but I have seen cases where a lower KV motor can be geared higher and produce a higher top speed... again these are all variables determined by the quality of each motor.

I have not compared these 2 motors side by side and to get a true answer you would need to put each motor on a dyno to get the most accurate answer.

Personally, I'd go with the least expensive motor and just go have some fun :)

Recent Popular Liked

Back