• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

motor kv question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
Driving Style
Basher
Can any one shed some light on the difference between a 1700 and a 2200 kv motor. This mt 410 is my first ground up build and not sure what type of kv is needed. Will or can run a 15 to 17 t pinion and tires will most likely be banlands or shockwaves. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

It mostly depends on what size battery you decide to go with and the speed/torque you want to get in the end.

Easiest way (but not 100% accurate) is to multiply the KV rating by the voltage to figure out RPM. That will give you the motor's rrm without a load. From there you can decide on what battery and motor combo you want to use.

In short a lower KV is slower but potentially has more torque than a higher KV motor of the same size.

Thinking 4 s for battery. I’ll work on the math. Thanks for the pointer.

The difference between a 1700kv and 2200kv motor is equivalent to going from a 15t to 19t pinion.

If you were sure you wanted to stay with 4s and badlands size tires, ideally you would be somewhere in between 1700 and 2200 kv. If you have to choose between them, I would probably lean towards the 1700kv and adjust the pinion to get the gearing you want. The MT410 is geared very high to start with and is limited on the low end by a minimum 15t pinion. Its easy to go bigger though. And 1700kv would give you the option of installing bigger tires or running 6s if you ever wanted to.

The difference between a 1700kv and 2200kv motor is equivalent to going from a 15t to 19t pinion.

If you were sure you wanted to stay with 4s and badlands size tires, ideally you would be somewhere in between 1700 and 2200 kv. If you have to choose between them, I would probably lean towards the 1700kv and adjust the pinion to get the gearing you want. The MT410 is geared very high to start with and is limited on the low end by a minimum 15t pinion. Its easy to go bigger though. And 1700kv would give you the option of installing bigger tires or running 6s if you ever wanted to.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I am running an Arrma 2050kv in mine with Dboots Backflips and I have the 15t pinion and the motor still gets hot. It doesn't overheat but it gets up there. I would like to go to a 14t but I can't. My next motor will probably be 1800-1900kv and I'll probably stay with the 15t pinion.

So to start. A 1700 kv with 16 t pinion 4 s should give the power w/o overheating. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

So to start. A 1700 kv with 16 t pinion 4 s should give the power w/o overheating. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
And if only running 4s you can probably even bump that to a 17t or 18t, maybe even higher without even worrying about heat. Just have to keep an eye on temps and try different pinions to see.

in general a lower KV motor will run cooler than one with a higher KV.

In my buggy I run 1900kv on 4s with an 18t pinion. Of course my buggy wheels are smaller but with my set up temps have been very reasonable/safe.

Recent Popular Liked

Back