• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410.3 Motor/esc choice for 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

So here I am, I'm Tiny Rick..!!!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
  2. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
As the title says, what are some recommendations for a 4s setup ??
I have the Team Corally setup from my Sketer that I may use, but just wondered everyones opinion on other options..
Thx

I've been running the Castle Mamba X and the 2400KV 1415 on 4S. Something I found out about this esc that I don't like is it controls the fan and doesn't turn on until around 140F. I direct wired it to the rx so it's on when the esc is powered so it's easier to keep esc temps under control. No complaints other than that. The data logging is pretty slick also.

I’m happy with EZrun max8/EZrun 4724 2200Kv combo in my MT 410
Edit… just noticed it’s SCT 410 you’re asking about. I have

Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT Brushless ESC/3660SD G2 Motor Combo (3600kV) w/5mm Motor Shaft.​

I run it on 4s and I’m happy.

Last edited:
I highly recommend you select a motor that is a 3660 can because the drivetrain can't handle 1/8 motors.

There's a 2600KV motor here that would do well on 4S:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...le-brushless-sensorless-motor-waterproof.html

I would pair that motor with the HW Max8:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/ezrun-max8-g2-series/products/ezrun-max8

I would stay away from sensored motors unless you will be racing. Sensors will only help you increase your precision with jump timing, but will only increase things to potentially go wrong and not necessary for a basher.

I highly recommend you select a motor that is a 3660 can because the drivetrain can't handle 1/8 motors.
Just curious as to why you say the drivetrain can't handle 1/8 motors :unsure:
I was on the understanding that other than having some lightened parts in the drive train it was the same as a MT410.
I know stock it comes with composite cross pins, those I've already bought the steel upgrades for..

I think the motor I have already is a 40x68 2150kv with a 130amp ESC

I was on the understanding that other than having some lightened parts in the drive train it was the same as a MT410.
I know stock it comes with composite cross pins, those I've already bought the steel upgrades for..

The pins on the CVD axles for the SCT are very thin and will wallow out the holes causing the axles to prematurely wear if you run a 1/8 motor which offers way more torque than a 3660 can.

1/8 axle:
1652913787475.png

1/10 Axle

1652913810179.png

I haven't measured the pins but I think the SCT pins are close to 1.25mm thick and the 1/8 pins are closer to 2mm thick which makes a huge difference, nearly twice as thick!

Last edited:
The sct410.3 pins are 1.8mm. The hex and nut is also maxed out for lightness. This is the stub for 17mm hex conversion.IMG_20220518_182443.jpg You can mark with silver and rotate the holes in the stubs, also side to side on the truck. IMG_20220518_182542.jpg You also need to rotate shafts and axels and replace the pins regular. Something with the shock oil/springs because of extra weight from the big motor. Need 1/8 buggy motor insert. The SCT one is low center gravity, so big can bottoms out. I run huge can over powered sct410

I stand corrected, been too long since I've ran TEKNO but I do recall the pins being almost 1mm difference in thickness... maybe the 1/8 pins are closer to 3mm perhaps

I really appreciate all the info you share Bill. Looking at the 1/8 cv in real life its beefy, no need to measure. I wasn't trying to correct you or anything. Its great you still contribute, even though you now run dnf kits :ROFLMAO:

Rite it won't hold 1/8 scale motors. What? That makes no sense. Put a 1/8 in it 3660 can will get to hot

3670 with a fan (some people are allergic to fans for some reason) on 4S at 145F on a 96F day. Back to back to back packs

If you get tkr5211x insert big motors fit. Would think 3120kv is to much kv for how heavy the sct is with small can. Like 2200kv is recommended for 4s. Pinion depends on can size and motor insert but all the sizes you would need work.

I would figure out the esc you're using and put the longest motor that fits

So, slight change of plan due to the motor mount being LCG I started to look at 36 sized motors, I can get these two but which would be better suited to 4s ??

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP3635_3120KVo5f

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP3630_2540KVo5f

Also what's the smallest/largest pinion you can run on a SCT410 ??
Definitely the 3670. It will work great.

I have mine with a 3674 and 2400kv, love it on 4s.

So, slight change of plan due to the motor mount being LCG I started to look at 36 sized motors, I can get these two but which would be better suited to 4s ??

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP3635_3120KVo5f

https://tppower.de/epages/bd5f179c-...9-bbe0-e825a2cc9e1a/Products/TP3630_2540KVo5f

Also what's the smallest/largest pinion you can run on a SCT410 ??

EDIT..

I posted those motors the wrong way round..

3670 is 3120kv

3665 is 2540kv

They will both handle 4s easily, one of them will even cope with 5s..!!

I didn't really want to swap motor mounts as I wanted to keep this truck lighter and fast, if I swap mounts I can use the Corally system that I originally was going to use, but quite a few people tell me it will have far too much torque for the SCT drivetrain..
Therefore I've been searching 36's :unsure:

Last edited:
So I've decided to get a new ESC :unsure:
I ordered a Castle Mamba Monster X as it was on sale..!!
It's lighter than what I had planned and much lighter than a Max8, I'd imagine the Mamba won't have any issues no matter what motor I throw at it..!!

Recent Popular Liked

Back