• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Motor cogging, radio the cause?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfmonke

Reaction score
I've got an ET48.3 with a Tekin gen2 t8 motor and Tekin gen 2 esc, the motor cogs but it only does so when it gets 75+ feet away....

So i'm thinking it may be radio related... I'm using an old Airtronics MX3 FM radio.

I've tried putting a capacitor on the receiver, and will try putting some ferrite cores on the servo and esc wires.

Do you think this can be caused by the radio? What else can I try (without buying a new radio, which i'll probably end up doing), but want to see if I can get the current setup working without cogging?

Check your antenna for any cracks or exposed metal (apply fresh heat shrink tubing if necessary), be sure the antenna is mounted vertical and that you are using the full length of antenna tube for those older radios to get the best reception.

Try running your car in a different area (drive several miles away, etc) that might not have any radio interference.

Once you've exhausted all options and the problem persists, then yeah it sounds like it's time to upgrade to a modern 2.4Ghz system.

If money is tight, then I would highly recommend Radiolink, by far the best bang for the buck out of dozens of budget radio systems I have owned over the years.

If money is no object, then I would put Futaba and Sanwa toward the top of the list. I am currently racing with a Graupner X-8E system and absolutely love it.

More systems here worth exploring:
Which surface radio system is the best?

How am I going to drive several miles away, when it starts cogging at 75ft!! I wouldn't even be able to see the car, it would be a tiny spec. ;) :p

Ya, I had thought about possible local interference, will try it at another spot once I get the bearings fixed...

I am running the antenna vertical, and the radio antenna is all the way up. I'll check the antenna tube for any cracking.

Will probably go with the Futaba 3PV when I do get a new radio, but also looking at the Spektrum DX5C, i'll check out the Radiolink.

I also may try a full 13ft receiver antenna, coiled of course. Although, that may just pick up more interference, but cheap and easy to try.

How am I going to drive several miles away, when it starts cogging at 75ft!! I wouldn't even be able to see the car, it would be a tiny spec. ;) :p

Ya, I had thought about possible local interference, will try it at another spot once I get the bearings fixed...

I am running the antenna vertical, and the radio antenna is all the way up. I'll check the antenna tube for any cracking.

Will probably go with the Futaba 3PV when I do get a new radio, but also looking at the Spektrum DX5C, i'll check out the Radiolink.

He was saying to try a different location to drive the RC in to see if something in the environment is causing the issue. Not drive it a mile controlling it via radio.

I would highly doubt it is the radio causing a cogging issue, if what is happening is truly cogging. Cogging is all motor/esc related.

Cogging from Gearing: Reduce your pinion size until the motor is able to create enough torque to turn without hesitation when the throttle trigger is pulled. If it is a sensored system it could mean the sensor board on the motor, sensor cable, or sensor port on the speed control have a malfunction.

Here is some stuff to try and look for, first thing I would do is replace sensor cable. They can look good however have a messed up wire were they bend massively in these ET48.

He was saying to try a different location to drive the RC in to see if something in the environment is causing the issue. Not drive it a mile controlling it via radio.

Here is some stuff to try and look for, first thing I would do is replace sensor cable. They can look good however have a messed up wire were they bend massively in these ET48.

Yes, I know what he meant. See Bill Delong's smiley face on my post, he knew what I meant too, sarcasm.

You mean the sensor cable between the ESC and the motor? I may replace that, I see the new Gen 3's come with a shielded sensor wire. Could also be damaged like you said.

I have seen other people say they had cogging with FM radio's and brushless systems, and when they switched to 2.4ghz it went away. If it happened at all at closer distances, I wouldn't suspect the radio.

Last edited:
I agree that replacing the sensor wire might be worth trying, or simply removing it to test the theory before buying a new one (you don't actually need the sensor wire to get it to run, though you will lose throttle smoothness at very slow speeds without it)... sometimes it can just be a little loose and needs to be re-connected, but because the problem only occurs after some distance, it sounds more like a radio issue... still doesn't hurt to try different things until the problem is solved :)

I may pick one up the next time I buy something from Amain, unplugging it altogether is def something i'll try.

@BillDelong...

So i've been checking out the RadioLink radio's :)

I was wondering if you know if the RC6GS has any improved performance over the RC4GS , or if it is simply just 2 additional channels?

Nevermind, just saw your Youtube video.... seems the RC6GS and RC4GS are both 12ms, ok, i'll save an extra $15-$20 and get the RC4GS

Recent Popular Liked

Back