• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

I get it now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

Reaction score
Nearly complete with my DB48 build, and my first experience with Tekno products, and I understand the hype. The quality of the parts is there. I am building the DB48 to do the heavy lifting and rock stuff that I don't want to subject my Nomad DB-8 to, simply because AE does not have the parts support for the Nomad. I also think the DB48 will probably out perform it.

So last night I'm out driving my modified ARRMA Senton 3s, and while I enjoy that truck very much, I'm thinking the whole time about that extra SCT 410.3 chassis sitting on the work bench. Maybe I need another SCT 410.3 to replace the Senton 3s..?

Along with that, I've been hot to trot for a new ARRMA Typhon 6s, to fill that speed-buggy itch I have. But then I wonder if I built up an EB48.2, could it compete in terms of speed with the Typhon? I would only want to run it as 4s, in that I feel 4s is sort of a sweet spot for 1/8 buggies.

I'm sorta hooked on the Tekno quality, and I love their support for the products. Is it nutty to go from no Tekno products to 3 within a few months?

s

It happens!

IMG_1342.JPG

Along with that, I've been hot to trot for a new ARRMA Typhon 6s, to fill that speed-buggy itch I have. But then I wonder if I built up an EB48.2, could it compete in terms of speed with the Typhon? I would only want to run it as 4s, in that I feel 4s is sort of a sweet spot for 1/8 buggies.

I'm kinda curious about exactly this as well. I've been eyeing that Typhon 6s for a little bit now and am curious what Tekno model would be most comparable to that. Though I also suspect if I did get the Typhon I'd want to truggify it i think.

For me it's a tricky situation. The Typhon 6s has very good reviews, looks well built, and for just under $500 ready to run, it's a third of the price of a Tekno EB48.2 built to match the performance. Everything I have seen is that 70 MPH is no problem on 6s, and that's with a 2050 kv motor, which is firmly rooted in the "heck no" kv range for 6s and motor longevity; yet it works. The people who like the Typhon 6s really like it, and it's not just a few people. I think ARRMA nailed that buggy. For what you get at $500, I don't think it can be matched.

Now of course on a track, the Tekno is going to eat it alive, the engineering and design of the Tekno is built for racing. ARRMA is bashing. Sorta apples and oranges here. My ARRMA Senton 3s has proven to be very tough, and while I have sunk way too much money into it, gosh darn it cooks. I can stay on my friend's Traxxis UDR 6s tail all day, and then snap a sharp turn while his truck puts on a cartwheel festival across the dirt lot. With the same love and tuning, can the Typhon 6s be a beast, I think so. And I think with minimal tuning.

That said, there is no question that the Tekno is superior in quality; compared to my ARRMA Senton 3s, the Tekno quality is just a completely different level. The Tekno next to my AE Nomad DB-8, then the quality is much closer. I think $500 for the Nomad DB-8 is a heck of a deal for that quality as a RTR. Spare parts, ugh, that's a not such a good situation.

The thing about Tekno is the backside of the deal. I run a custom shop division for my company, and I will tell you now what generates at least 50% of my sales; real customer service. I can call Tekno and get someone on the phone right away. Yes there are times I can tell they are busy and need to cut to the chase, but I get a person every time. And not just some dude, but a person who really knows what's what. It's like being able to call Bill on the phone whenever you want (just saying that would be nice) and getting a very good, solid answer to your question. When you're + $1000 into an RC, that stuff matters in my book.

With ARRMA, you are going to be better served by the excellent group of guys on the ARRMA Forum rather than reaching out to Horizon Hobbies. I have nothing against HH, but they are not like working with Tekno.

So, here is the decision as I see it:

Option 1: Go with the Typhon 6s and have fun driving and modifying it. Tons of aftermarket support, and keep ARRMA Forum always up on your computer screen. I can't say enough good things about that group. They will be your collective support for the product.

Option 2: Get the EB 48.2 and spend some time researching motor / battery combos. You'll go with the RX-8 Gen 3 for your ESC, and might as well get a really good servo while you're at it. I use Savox for most of my platforms. Then build the kit, add in a few upgrades, a LF spring kit for tuning, and go between this forum and Tekno for support. You'll be $1200 to $1500 into the platform, but it will be a beautiful machine and you'll have plenty of support.

I'll say that at this point I have no idea if I can get the EB48 to match the Typhon 6s. Tekin is showing that you need to use their 1400 kv 1/8 motor if you're gonna run 6s. I want to actually run 4s 1900 or 1700 kv, and I don't know if I can run a big enough pinion to stay with the Typhon. What I don't feel like doing is dropping $1500 on a build and then find out I can't keep up with the Typhon 6s in our big open fields. We race in soccer fields out here, and there is plenty of room for speed.

Note: Because I love my Nomad DB-8 so much, I really wanted to stay with AE, but I am really not getting the support I need for my projects. There are some very long-winded reasons you can find on-line, but the short version is that AE are not masters of their own ship. Tekno is. The fundamental difference between those two worlds is immeasurable.

Anyhow, sorry for the very long response, but I wanted to frame my answer as best as I could.

Wow fantastic response, thanks for the details. That does mirror my thinking and I'm not sure honestly where I land. I like the fact that Tekno is a US based company (though I guess I'm not 100% sure what all is and isn't manufactured in the US), and love the fact like you said that I can call and talk to someone and get support. Also love that I can put my own components in. All that being said Typhon looks really nice and I'd be able to play with it for a fraction the cost of being able to play with the EB. Hard to say what the overall cost of ownership would be after 6 months or after 2 years. I'm guessing the gap would narrow, the Typhon is just starting with a huge edge being <$500 vs $1000 min.

I do enjoy the art of the build and the research of components as well. I guess maybe I wouldn't mind if Arrma would sell a Typhon 6s without the electronics for like $200-300. :) Or if Tekno would sell more of a starter type kit. Decisions decisions. Fortunately I'm in no rush to buy anything at the moment as I have 2 other projects I'm currently in. More time to research I guess.

Thanks again for the response!

No problem, and you have the right approach; hold onto your wallet and research. You also keyed in on some details that I failed to mention, and that's longevity / life-span of the product. Since you already have that on your radar, I don't think it's needed to dive into here, but good on you for having that in mind.

Let us know where you end up.

s.

Last night I found a thread on RC Tech forum that is close to this topic; https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/992881-tekno-vs-arrma.html

It unfortunately turns into a trash fire at times, and there are some very slanted opinions, but if you sift through the comments, you will get a very well rounded view of this topic.

After giving this thought over the past few days, I went ahead and ordered the Typhon 6s to be my speed buggy. It will be my Senton 3s that I replace with a new Tekno 410.3

I feel I can savor the refinement on the 410.3 compared to the Senton 3s much more than a tuned Typhon vs EB48. Some of that is hinged on the 410.3 having a center diff versus the slipper clutch found on the Senton.

Once I started working with a center diff on my Nomad, I really like the performance and decided it's a must have piece of technology.

s

Recent Popular Liked

Back