• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

I Can't find a Motor Fan that fits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesfume

Reaction score
I have tried a couple different heatsink/fan combos for my 1800kv motor and I can't clear the motor tabs or the motor mount with either one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a heatsink and fan that fit? Thanks in advance

Which heatsink are you using?
I have tried the large hobbywing heatsink and the Yeah Racing one with dual fans. Neither fit correctly. I have one from Hot Racing coming in that should work, I hope.

I have the Yeah Racing Dual Fan on my Hobbywing motor, but it took a lot of grinding of the aluminum heatsink to make it work.

I hope the Hot Racing one works out!

Thanks mattbhm. If this 3rd one doesn't fit outright I'll definitely modify one of the three to fit. I have the grinder at the ready lol.
I have the Yeah Racing Dual Fan on my Hobbywing motor, but it took a lot of grinding of the aluminum heatsink to make it work.

I hope the Hot Racing one works out!

Thanks mattbhm. If this 3rd one doesn't fit outright I'll definitely modify one of the three to fit. I have the grinder at the ready lol.

No problem. Let me know if it doesn't work, I can get you some pics of mine to help you modify.

I can vouch for the Yeah Racing if the 3rd doesn't work. I'm running on 4s but running it hard. Hottest my Hobbywing 2250kv has gotten is 143F.

No problem. Let me know if it doesn't work, I can get you some pics of mine to help you modify.

I can vouch for the Yeah Racing if the 3rd doesn't work. I'm running on 4s but running it hard. Hottest my Hobbywing 2250kv has gotten is 143F.
That's awesome, thank you! I will let you know if I need some guidance with some mods.

Unless your motors surface is flat and you use heat transfer paste, you're better off just mounting the fan alone than using a heatsink.
Some heatsinks are open so the airflow can reach the motor, these are ok too.
If you want a nice looking solution for a fan alone, exotek mounts fit.

That exotek mount is what I may end up needing. The one I ordered is just a mount and comes with a fan, hope it works like the exotek. Thanks for the reply ?

My motor is a clean round cylinder, and came with a heat sink. I decided to use thermal grease as it was a very tight fit -- to the point of which the grease made it easier to seat it. I hope I never have to take that thing off.

Something I learned that day is thermal grease is some sticky, messy crap. I knew this to a point, but putting it on a CPU is way easier than cleanly putting it on a 360 deg heat sink. I cleaned the excess off with some isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, but it took more of an effort than I was anticipating.

My motor is a clean round cylinder, and came with a heat sink. I decided to use thermal grease as it was a very tight fit -- to the point of which the grease made it easier to seat it. I hope I never have to take that thing off.

Something I learned that day is thermal grease is some sticky, messy crap. I knew this to a point, but putting it on a CPU is way easier than cleanly putting it on a 360 deg heat sink. I cleaned the excess off with some isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, but it took more of an effort than I was anticipating.
I have some thermal paste and tape handy just in case, I think the fan mount I ordered should fit with some minor adjustment

You'll be able to hack something together that works. That's half the fun of this hobby -- taking something that doesn't quite fit and making it work. Just gotta get creative and have some patience. I know when I rush, things end up in the trash bin.

So I was able to use the Hot Racing fan with minor adjustment. The clips/Heat sinks were a bit too small ,but malleable enough to open them up with slight pressure. They snapped right on and on even fits perfectly on the smooth front side of the motor, before the heat fins begin.I added a zip tie to help secure it and for peace of mind. Works great and it's keeping me around 25°-30° cooler. The fan runs on DC 7.2v-8.4v and isn't too loud.

Recent Popular Liked

Back