• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

How much gear lash on the pinion and spur?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txrocks

Reaction score
This is my first Tekno. I'm running the 15t and whatever stock spur gear.

I have the gear lash at 0.010" the gear train seems noisy. I don't know if it's normal, pinon and spur still look good. I've got some new pinon gears 15t and 17t on the way to see if it's the pinion gear. I don't think the 15t is a Tekno gear, but profile looks like the proper gear.

I normally just use the taper trick and it works fine on all my rigs

run a pice of paper between the gears with small amount of pressure on pinion and you are all set

after you do it enuf times you will be able to tell just by the sound

if you are running a metal spur it will be very noisy

i will try and remember to bring my dial indicator home from work tomorrow and make some measurements.

But off had I think that may be a little bit large. 0.005-0.008 sounds more in the ballpark

It does seem a little loud. I'll close it up a bit, measure the lash and try it again. I may try the paper setup also.
It does have the stock plastic spur gear.
Thanks!

+1 to a piece of paper, but it's important to locate the "high spot" on the spur because most spurs are not perfectly round... It's possible to get lucky and hit the high spot on the first try, it happens to me on occasion, but after you pull the paper out you want to rock the pinion back and forth to make sure there's a tiny bit of play, then rotate the spur a click and check for the play, do this until hit that high spot, then reset the mesh with paper again being careful not to lose the high spot. Then re-check after that to make sure you've got a good mesh around the circumference of the spur.

If you don't check that high spot then the gears will sound VERY loud like something isn't right :(

Thanks Bill!

I think right now I have it too loose, I am going to tighten it up. I did check for the high spots on the gear. I will be out in the shop getting some of it done today to try to get ready to race this weekend.

I've got it set with paper and then checked it with the indicator. It's sitting at 0.005-6"

It's still louder than I would expect. I'll keep an eye on it.

I have it setup for the carpet now, just about ready for this weekend. It rips on my track at home setup like this. Not really a good setup for the home track as ride height is too low, but it is stuck to the ground.

Like Bill said I find the high spot in the spur gear. Then I adjust it so there is the slightest amount of play between the gears, identified by hearing a "tick" when the teeth make contact while you rock the spur back and forth.

The paper trick works but once you have done it a few times you will know what the mesh is supposed to feel like.

Paper is tried and true. Printer paper is .0035 thick. On mod 1 gears I open it up a touch as I find it to close. I like .004-.006 backlash. I usually just go by feel and sound

Recent Popular Liked

Back